close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Buckets or Drums, and rate of feed...

Discussion in 'The Lodge' started by Scaupstopper, Jul 2, 2007.

1. Scaupstopper

Scaupstopper Duck Enemy #1

I want to try some feeders this year. I was looking at getting some tri-pod feeders but the chances of them getting stolen where I hunt are fairly high. Instead, I would like to buy the spinners from Cabelas for 25$ and try to find some drums cheap or for free. I can handle loosing a 25$ spinner, but a 150$ tripod is hard to swallow. My hunting location is too far away to use a gravity feeder that would need filled more than once a month.

Any ideas where to get 10 to 55 gallon drums or buckets in the Akron area???

Also knowing that I can adjust the feed rate, how many pounds a month do you guys go through to be effective? If a 7 gallon bucket lasted me a month (about 50 pounds of corn) that would be all the bigger I would need. Once a month filling would be no problem.

2. Don't know about Akron, but there is a palce in Canton where plastic drums are less then $10. 77 s. 62 e. Middlebranch s. r on Mahoning and left into a driveway before the bridge, Its around back. You'll be in an area called Crystal Park. Those barrels smell real good, mine smelled like strawberries. Yes they are clean.

3. Guys I know are using like eight inch pvc tubing nailed to a tree with about a quarter to half inch exposed on the bottom for the corn to fall out. cover the top.

MikeC

4. Scaupstopper

Scaupstopper Duck Enemy #1

How often are the filling the tubing? Anyone I know doing that has to fill every few days. I dont want to fill more than once a month.

5. I don't really know, but I imagine quite a bit cuz everythings eatin from it.

MikeC

6. What about something like this???[​IMG]

7. A few good alternatives to corn to consider....

Trophy Rock, mineral supliment available at most outdoor retailers for around $18 or so. I haven't used one myself, but I've seen enough trail camera pics to know they attract deer for a long time.

Salt Block. I usually break them up into softball size hunks and place them at various stand sites this time of year. Usually on an old stump if possible. By archery opener the stumps become a 2' x 2' hole in the ground. Pick one or two up at Home Depot for $5 a piece.

Molasis. This is another new one I'm going to try this year. I talked with a guy who buys it at Farm & Fleet or TCS by the gallon. It's inexpensive and the deer love it according to him. Treat it just like a salt block by pouring it over an old stump to soak in to.

Just some other info to consider......