Buck Creek White Bass Run

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Phantom Fisher, May 7, 2008.

1. Phantom Fisher

Phantom Fisher Mr. Truth

Hey ya'll the white bass run is beginning in the Buck Creek, creek not reservoir. A few people taking 40 fish daily! Use 2" white twister tails with 1/4 oz heads or what some of the most successful takers are using are HJ 06 husky jerks white in color or the perch/tiger stripe, yellow on the bottom, horizontal stripes with green top. My wife's friend who turned me on to this will probably disown me for posting this but I believe the people in this site should share more. Nothing worse than fishin all day in a bad spot when it cost us so much for travel etc...Fish On and Good Luck!

2. Not saying your telling tales here, but I was out there yesterday for 3 hours, as well as another boat, and the shore full of fisherman, and didn't see one bass caught. If anything some small jacks are in the river, but certainly not the females. On top of the water being down, it's so low you can see the bottom if your in a boat with polarized glasses, and the depth finder marked the deepest hole at 4 feet, and this screwy weather weve had, I would expect it to be in full swing in another week.

3. They got to start sometime. Should find out tomorrow.

4. Phantom Fisher

Phantom Fisher Mr. Truth

The fish are in the creek in the upper north side of the lake. Access at New Moorefield Rd bridge. Guess I will take a few pics next time...I'll be there Friday and report back but I have caught over 10 fish per hour during the evening. Your right however in a week or so they will be in full swing.

5. Flathead King 06

Flathead King 06 click...click...click

Well everyone take it from me... I live right in new moorfield less than 100 yds from buck creek and am on the creek bank every evening rain or shine... and if people were pulling 40 fish a night from the creek...I WOULD KNOW IT, or it would be me doing it.... ask around, I am known by everyone down there fishing, and if I'm not catching fish, either they aren't biting or they're simply not there, one or the other.... and Im not trying to brag or say I'm the best fisherman down there, because God knows there are way better ones than me, but I do know how to fish for the WB and I DO take my fair share of the fish when they "run"..... we have been hitting a few, around 15 a night, but nothing near 40 fish plus....

I dont know where you are getting your information Phantom Fisherman, but I believe I smell a fishy tale around here.... and I know many people who would back me up on this one... the "run" isnt on, and actually with all this rain and cooler temps, it will be close to another week or so, before they even start biting again.... by that I mean we only caught around 20 last night, and the later the night got (8:00-8:30) the fish just turned off, the fog rolled in and the rain came down even heavier... got home and checked the weather stations and found the pressure had dropped from around 30 to 28-ish and the temps just plummeted from being near 70 to the lower 60's

I assure everyone who reads this, that several of the people I fish with will soon pitch in and back me up with what I am saying....

6. Caught me 3 the other night... Caught 6 one day... I guess 40 is possible if they start EARLY and stay allllll day and leave after dark. There were 10 people lined up day before yesterday and were VERY hit or miss. Most people were leaving with 4-5 on the stringer. I got skunked that day.

As for what they are hitting.... very dependent on the time of day, water clarity, etc. What I used one day/morning would not work the same afternoon or next morning.

Plus, the weather HAS been all over the place which I assume is playing havoc. From what I can tell... there is no run... yet. Can't wait though! If the weather keeps in limbo... is there a chance there will be no run?

I would like to find the jerk thats dumping cleaned carcasses on the path(s.) PEEAAAEEEEEUUUUUUU.

7. I was out Tuesday evening and caught all three that bit me. Just males and saw a couple of dinks caught from the bank. They're not "running", at least not what I'd consider running, just a few biting about the same as anytime. Someone posted a while back that they were milting too but I didn't see that either. I agree with Flathead, still a ways out before they really turn on.

8. Phantom Fisher

Phantom Fisher Mr. Truth

WHite bass run beginning means...They are in the creek starting to run and as I mentioned in one reply in a week or so they may be in full run. Also as of last weekend I saw several 40 fish catches, weren't all dayers either. The fishing has been hit or miss at times but as I mentioned with the right lures and presentation ten fish an hour in the evenings isn't unusual either. At least some of you are willing to admit some fish are being caught that is still better than spending the entire day fishing for nothing...Maybe the locals are wanting the early run for themselves? By the way most everyone was right about the weather and the fish activity. Last week the 70 degree days sparked them up this week could be entirely different with the cold front coming in. By the way tobakabus. The fish on the path? Looked like about 60 fresh carcasses to me but who's counting...

9. Yeah... Did not count. If you got close enough to count, you're a serious man. Hahah I saw more maggots than fish. What's your other handle on this site? You speak as though you've been around here for a long time, but your history says this was your first post. I smell a veteran OGF'er not wanting to stir up a hornet's nest on the primary account/handle=)

I went back down yesterday... (Thursday) in the afternoon in the downpour. There were a few people down there.. and saw a few fish caught, but again, nothing spectacular.

10. Phantom Fisher

Phantom Fisher Mr. Truth

The Phantom will never disclose his true identity!!!!

11. There might not be lots... but there sure are some big ones in there! LOL

[​IMG]

12. BlueBoat98

BlueBoat98 Where's Waldo?

I know you're holding it out to the camera but it still looks pretty big. Did you weigh/measure that fish? The state record is only 21" and 4 pounds and that looks to be in that vicinity.

MC

13. NorthSouthOhioFisherman

NorthSouthOhioFisherman The Young Outdoorsman

That'd be a photoshop BB ;)
    Still looks good :)

14. Sauggie

Sauggie ... ...

I remember when you netted that with chicken wire! Couldn't believe it when that fish came out of the water. LOL Glad you shaved the beard - you looked gruff man!

15. I was out Tuesday, May 6th, and caught 25, threw back 15 kept 10 biggest. Wednesday my sons and I caught over 40, kept 15 biggest including 3 females one 16 inches long at 2lbs. Thursday I went by myself and caught another 30, kept 10 biggest including a male that was 15 1/2 inches almost 2 lbs. I have seen many catching bass and keeping ones that I would throw back. Yesterday, Friday, I believe I saw Flathead King 06 sitting on the bank with a bucket full of bass. My son and I threw back 15 bass as big as the ones in that bucket and still were able to take 10 home and we were only there for 2 hours. I have pictures of the bigger bass and of the others in a cooler. I have more fillets in my freezer then my wife cares to have, so contrary to what others are saying they are running.;) Just remember that you don't have to take everything you catch home. I have been trying to teach my boys catch and release but it gets difficult when they see others taking every fish hooked home. I personally don't see how you can fillet a white bass that is 8 inches or smaller. Just my opinion.

16. Haha sorry man. Photoshop. I did a REAL quick job and intentionally shrunk my head to make it obvious. Was just trying to "lighten" the thread a little=)

17. Sauggie

Sauggie ... ...

Never let Tobakabus take a picture of you . . . it will get 'shopped!

18. All..... I snapped a photo of the PHANTOM this morning!

[​IMG]

19. BlueBoat98

BlueBoat98 Where's Waldo?

Well, it was a nice job. I knew I shouldn't have gotten into this one but couldn't help it. I've done some Photoshopping myself but haven't used the "Shrunken Head" technique. Glad you did lighten it up. There for a while I thought we would have to choose up sides and have a rumble on the trestle.

See you out there.

MC

20. Phantom Fisher

Phantom Fisher Mr. Truth

All, I,m touched. Well just to let you know I decided not to fish the creek this weekend instead I tried my luck in CJ Reservoir for about two hours today. Caught 3 eyes, 12",17",18", two cats-small and 6 small crappie. If your nice to the Phantom I may give you my location and technique. Beware though any attempt to dishonor the Phantom could lead to an empty hook. CJ is a tricky lake and the fish tend to favor very isolated locations. Tobakabus, your good with the photoshop...why is my fish sooo much smaller than yours??? Who's tellin tales now?