close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Brush with Death De-Winterizing the Boat!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by BMagill, Feb 27, 2005.

1. Seeing as how today’s good weather presented me with an opportunity to do one of the many outdoor spring projects on my “list”, I decided it would be a good time to get the boat ready for the upcoming fishing season. I had some general fixit type work to complete, and one of my tasks was to install a new trolling motor plug on the front deck. I climbed up in the boat and got to work. After a while, as I reached for a particularly hard to reach wire under the front deck, I felt a shift in weight in the boat below.

Oh no.

For background, I live on a hill on a public street in a residential neighborhood. My boat is parked in my front driveway. Because my driveway slants slightly up to the house, I have to chock the trailer wheels to keep the trailer in the driveway. I have had the boat in the same spot for 3 years, and I have done many repairs in and out of the boat with no problems.

Until now. :eek: :eek:

Back to my predicament – somehow the boat shifted in such a way that the wheel chocks were knocked out of the way. Before I know what is happening, my boat and trailer have rolled into the street, WITH ME STILL IN IT! The boat makes a perfect left and begins rolling down the street. My first thought is, “OH ****, there goes my boat.”

But there were no parked cars, as there normally are on that side of the street at that time of day, to stop me as I continued to roll down the hill. 50 yards ahead is the first cross street. 50 yards beyond that is a set of railroad tracks. Another 50 yards would bring me to Reading Rd., a very busy avenue running North through Hamilton County. My next thought is, “I don’t care about the boat or smashing anything, just don’t let me get maimed.”

Amazingly, the boat continued on a straight line right down the middle of the street. Amazingly, there was no traffic. I contemplated jumping out, realizing that injury would be certain at the current (accelerating) speed. I resolved that I would make the jump before I hit the railroad tracks. I thought, “I know I’m going to be maimed, but please let me live so I can see my kids grow up.”

As the careening boat, trailer, and Bmagill combination passed by the first cross street, there was a veer to the left. The boat hit the sidewalk, breaking the front trailer jack, and hit my neighbor down the street’s lawn. Momentum carried the boat and trailer further into the lawn, where everything finally came to a halt.

Somehow, I was unhurt. The neighbors, hearing the crash, all came out to see what was going on. To my knowledge, no one on the street actually witnessed my wild ride, although I passed at least 4 houses.

I have a 16’ Sea Nymph. The boat/trailer combo probably goes about 1,000 lb. I estimate I hit the sidewalk between 15 – 20 MPH. The whole incident, from start to stop, probably took 25 seconds. It felt like 10 years. To the best of my knowledge, the only damage to my rig is a broken front trailer jack (I will check out everything else, too). The only evidence of the accident now is a groove 3” wide x 30 feet long in my neighbor’s lawn where the trailer tongue dug into the ground to bring me to a much gentler than expected stop.

LESSONS LEARNED:

1) Someone up above is definitely looking out for me.
    2) Never get in your boat trailer on a hill unless it is hooked up to your tow vehicle (which has the E-brake set, duh).
    3) The only thing that feels worse than rolling down a hill with no brakes is rolling down a hill with no brakes and no steering.
    4) Neighbors who help you drag your boat out of their lawn are highly unlikely to accept an offer to go fishing on said boat.

2. dip

dip dip

glad you weren't hurt. now i'm gonna LAUGH! :D

3. skipjack11

skipjack11 retread member

I hate to admit I had a good laugh :D since no harm came to you and damage was minor. It could have turned out badly. Now you have a war story to tell the grandkids some day. :) Too bad no one got it on tape for "Americas Funniest Videos".

4. Fish4Fun

Fish4Fun Relaxing.

glad to here your ok and the boat. LMAO man that would have been good on tape.

5. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

glad to hear all is well, and you too will get a good laugh out of it . you could of won $10,000 on americas funniest videos. P.S ...YOU SHOULDA THROWN OUT THE ANCHOR.

6. skipjack11

skipjack11 retread member

Never leave your driveway without your anchor,distress flag,horn,fire extinguisher,and crash helmet. :eek:

7. catking

catking Banned

I believe that makes you a member of MISFIT'S crew as of today ;) ..Glad you were not hurt......... :) .THE CATKING !!!

8. bassn317

bassn317 Casual Fisherman

That's a heck of a way to get your first trolling session in. Glad all is OK

9. I was actually waiting for a punch line because I thought there is no way this can be real.:eek: What a freak accident. As you said someone was looking out for you there. I am sure it will provide many laughs for you int he future now that there was no harm done...other than perhaps your pride.:p

10. Freyedknot - Didn't even think of that!LOL

I took my digital camera down to snap some photos but the neighbors had already moved the boat out of the yard.

11. Glad your ok but I was rolling.

Sounds like something that LakeRaider would do

12. Hooch

Hooch Fare Thee Well!

"Never get out of the boat...absolutely God**** right!"

13. That was hilarious! :) Your boat is obviously telling you that it needs to be launched (in the water) immediately (if not sooner)! Glad your OK, but what are you gonna' do about the stain on the boat carpet! ;-) :)

Tim

14. Good one!:D:D

15. Character Zero

Character Zero Smallie Phan

i am glad to hear that you and the boat are in good shape.....to bad no tape.....Americas funniest home movies, you couldve been a winner.....better odds than the lottery......

16. yeah, you could have atleast blown your whistle or something:D since you and the boat are only slightly damaged we can laugh at ya. that is a story of a lifetime! you should send that off to a few mags :cool:

17. Freeze

Freeze Cisco Kid

The only thing that would have made that better is if you would have said you got a speeding ticket. Thanks for sharing that with us, with this weather I needed a laugh...

18. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

dang that sounds like something out of a movie..... what luck!

19. crappielooker

crappielooker The Corn Chucker

:D another great winter boating story..glad you're ok and not hurt..
    thanks for the laughs.. :p

20. Fastlane

Fastlane Fishless as usual

:D Seriously rolling on the floor. This was the first thing I thought of too! Glad you and the boat are ok but man, that is one to tell the grand kids when you are old and gray!