close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Browns on verge of firing Butch Davis

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by Bassnpro1, Nov 23, 2004.

1. Bassnpro1

Bassnpro1 OSU outdoorsman

2. YAHOO!!!!!!

Oops was that too harsh? :D :D

3. bassn317

bassn317 Casual Fisherman

I have never rooted for the Bengals in my life. As a matter of fact I have pretty much verbally ripped the Bengals apart. Well on Sunday, them Bengal Tigers better be GRRRRRRRRRRRREAT instead of little kitty cats.

Any foresight or hopes of a Butch replacement.

How's about Wannstadt from Miami (sp?)
    or bring back Ditka

4. The 6 oclock news reported that his job is safe at least untill the end of this season. :(

5. Hook N Book

Hook N Book The Original Hot Rod Staff Member

Chris Plamer is a very good choice! :D

6. bassn317

Or Belicheck, or Schottenheimer

I think they need to stick with someone with proven NFL and not a college coach

7. catking

catking Banned

I guess the NFL is never going to realize that high profile college coaches make lousy pro coaches ???? I'll throw a name out for you Browns fans.How about Art Shell ??? He had a good record with the Raiders, just not good enough for the then power house teams of Al Davis. But Art is a good defensive minded coach. I think the players would respond to him....... CATKING

8. I think we should negotiate with Baltimore and see if they would considering trading teams :p , complete with coaching staff and director of player personnel. :cool:
    AFTER ALL, THEY OWE US ONE. :rolleyes:

9. bassn317

Yep Shell would be an excellent choice. Just can't see bringing in a college coach to work with a team that needs MAJOR help and rebuilding. I think the defense is close they just have no offensive strategy. Maybe a proven offensive guru is in order and not the west coast offense. I also would like to see the rookie get some time in the next 6 weeks. He's the future!

10. bttmline

bttmline E.B.C.C. Founder

hey bassn,
    they had in our local paper to expect to see mccown over holcomb. i've been wanting that all season. see ya butch and take kelly with ya.
    bttmline

11. You will not see another college coach for awhile, not with Spurrier and Davis' failures. Also don't look for an older coach like Art Shell. It seems that they've run their course too. Just look at Gibbs in Washington. The game is different now.

I think the next coach will be a proven assistant from an NFL team. Not sure who, but someone with NFL experience. Davis will make his own exit now at the end of the season. That way he can hold his head high and blame the Browns for not giving him a chance. He'll coach Florida next year.

Eric

12. Just listened to a poll out of Florida...he's by far the leading candidate for the UF job...even in their local papers they're saying he'll be there soon......

13. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

This team cant even fire someone and do it right, what a feaking mess!

14. I can't believe it either....everybody knows, or at least think they know, he's going to leave, why not get it over with and move on. We sure can't do any worse!!!

15. I say let butchy play and start looking for a real talent scout now. Someone that can build a team.

16. They fire Butchie now, they'll just replace him with Dave Campo. And I don't thiink he's deserving of a shot. How does everyone else feel about him as coach. His Cowboy teams were average at best. I think a clean sweep at the end of the season is probably best. I think Butcj took too much responsibility too quickly. Who does he think he is? Parcells or Belichick?

Unfortunately, he'll take all the heat in this situation too.

Eric

17. bttmline

bttmline E.B.C.C. Founder

campo, our coordinator, i don't think so. or at least hope not. we need a new direction. good time for Bernie, he can't run but he always could read a defense.
    bttmline

18. Campo is one of those guys that wasn't all that as a head coach, but he does a pretty decent job as a coordinator. So far this season Campo hasn't done too bad with the players he's had force fed to him. Warren is an underachiever, Little is a sissy and griffith has alot of city miles on the wheels. Overall, the D has been okay this season. Noone has put up any 250 rushing yard games on him this season, but has had a tendancy to get burnt by the big pass play which tends to point to your safties. Cutch and Henry are decent on the corner, but a true shutdown corner would help unless we continue to allow Warren to play patty cakes with O linemen thereby giving opposing QB's a fortnight to find an open receiver.

Moving Campo into a HC gig to the end of the season would almost certainly result in him leaving after a HC had been hired. Personally I'd like to see a little more of what he can do with the D before throwing him under the bus. Now Robiski.... I'm growing a little tired of his ineffective O so him leaving may not be that big of a problem. Besides Robiski also has HC experience from when he was interim HC for the 'skins.
    My offseason dream list is as follows:

1. Cut loose Warren and Courtney, and ALL Guards
    2. Sign a FA D Tackle, true pass rushing beast DE or top shelf O Guard
    3. Draft a top tier DE or shutdown CB in rnd 1, then OG in #2 and 3
    4. load up on centers and longsnapers with the rest of the draft :D

the gavitational pull of the dark side is pulling in.... Must resist......

Barry

19. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

Barry, I sure enjoy reading your post on the Browns..You sound alot like Doc Gonzo from bernies insiders!

20. Still I ask you guys who will be the next head coach, the pickings seem slim to me. Campo was mentioned only because he has HC experience, he's in-house, and that would fill the hole if Davis was fired last week and only on an interim basis.

And you can't blame just the safeties when you get beat deep. Maybe when you play a standard two deep defense, like Tampa Bay, but we don't run that defense primarily. It points to a lack of a pass rush, inability to cover one on one, and lack of recognition of what the offense is doing. If you pull a safety into the box to defend against the run (thus stopping those 250 yard games), you can't expect the safety to assist in deep coverage. This is precisely what is happening. In an effort to stop a team's running game, the Browns commit a safety to the run. That leaves at least one CB in man coverage down the field. No pass rush equals time to throw, and bingo, deep pass completed.

This team has a decent defense if it had a pass rush. The problem is, and Chaun Thompson proclaimed it this past week, is that they get no pass rush from the front 4. They must blitz to get pressure, and then the O only needs to adjust to hot routes to beat it, which every NFL team can do. It needs a passing rushing end opposite Lang to complement him. It might even make Warren better. It couldn't hurt.

This teams biggest problem is O-line. No nasties up there at all. And if Verba or Tucker are nasty, they can't stay healthy enough to play 16 games and get any continuity. They need to spend FA and the draft on those two priorities: a pass-rushing speed DE, and the O-line. Oh, and a QB. Garcia and Holcomb are no better than Couch when put behind a Swiss cheese O-line.

Eric