close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Browns lose Winslow for '05 season

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by Tee, May 19, 2005.

1. Tee

Tee Team OGF

From the Cleveland Plain Dealer:

Browns lose Winslow for '05 season

Thursday, May 19, 2005
    Tony Grossi
    Plain Dealer Reporter

Browns tight end Kellen Winslow Jr. will need reconstructive surgery to repair a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee as a result of his motorcycle accident and will miss the entire 2005 season, according to a source with knowledge of the situation.

The Browns and the Winslow family learned the extent of damage to the knee on Wednesday, but neither the team nor the family would comment.

The source said the result of a magnetic resonance imaging test on the knee performed on Tuesday showed "what everyone feared."

Only the ACL -- the major ligament of four in the knee -- was torn.

Players generally need 10 to 12 months to rehabilitate from major ACL surgery. Safety Sean Jones had ACL surgery in June and missed the entire 2004 season.

Winslow is expected to have an independent exam done on the knee for a second opinion. Surgery could be scheduled within a month.

After consultation with Kellen Winslow Sr., the Browns issued only the following statement: "The Winslow family has not authorized us to release any information on Kellen's condition."

Winslow injured his right knee when he flipped over the handlebars of his high-powered motorcycle in a secluded parking lot on May 1.

Winslow also suffered undisclosed internal injuries and swelling in his right shoulder in the spill, but the Browns identified the knee as the major area of concern.

Severe swelling in the knee prevented doctors from doing a thorough examination of the knee until 16 days after the accident.

Technically, the Browns do not have to disclose the extent of Winslow's injuries until he fails a physical administered by the club or is put on an injury list because they were not football-related.

The Browns may elect to recoup between $5.7 million and $10.7 million from Winslow for being in breach of his contract, which expressly prohibited him from participating in "hazardous activities," such as "motorcycling."

The Browns gave up their second-round draft pick in a trade with Detroit to select Winslow with the sixth overall pick of the 2004 draft. He agreed to a six-year contract for a maximum of $40 million after missing 12 days of training camp.

Winslow's rookie season ended after two weeks when he suffered a fractured right fibula and torn ankle ligaments in his second game. He had two surgeries to repair the damage. The lost time cost Winslow more than $10 million when he failed to reach playing incentives that had to be met in his first season.

Nice job soldier!

2. I was getting ready to post that. Good thing he held out for 6th overall draft pick money. He's been a real boost to the team. :rolleyes: I wonder if he will EVER play more than 2 games in a season for the Browns.

3. crankus_maximus

crankus_maximus Crankus Baitus Maximus

If I were the Browns, I would sever relations immediately for obvious reasons. He has been nothing but a darned invalid since he came here. I don't like him (can you tell?). I didn't want him to be a Cleveland Brown. They'll have targets to throw to, especially with the guy from the team up north at receiver.

Why is it that a large percenteage of the pro athletes think the rules don't apply to them? They don't just impact themselves, but their teammates, fans and more. What a totally moronic thing to do. The Browns are being way to easy on this kid.

I'd show him the door. I mean, all the other first rounders have failed too - why not him?

4. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

Typical luck for the Browns.

5. ddd

ddd

We'll never know how good he could have been. I just don't see him coming back nearly as strong- if he even does ever make it back.

6. sgofish

sgofish AEP or Bust

The sooner they get rid of him, the better.

7. After that they should re-coup the "show me the money"...
    Both BIG Ben and Maddox of the steelers admited to not wearing their helmets while riding their motorcycles...

8. he did not run into the curb- he hit his ego- bye-bye

9. I heard Savage say about a week or so ago he would not dump Winslow... Infact he stated he was one of the building blocks of this franchise... He will still be here next year at the least...

10. He might still be here next year but I wonder if he will play. I'm thinking from now into the future the Browns need to stop paying the draft picks big money until they prove themselves. The ones that look real stupid right now are the Browns. Winslow had his way with the front office and what do we have to show for it? A tight end that can't play and hasn't played.

11. Last year was not his fault and injuries are part of the game but this seasons wash hurts alot and he should find out how much in his wallet...

12. Winslow played precious little with the Browns last year, no fault of his. This year, he violated his contract & suffered an injury that, had it happened in college, would have stopped a team from drafting him in the 1st round. I honestly feel that current management, with their focus on "team players", would not have drafted him. I feel like Crankus M....I didn't want the headcase when they drafted him, & I SURE don't want him now! I really will be surprised if he plays again for the Browns. I just don't think they can afford to set the precedent of keeping him given all the circumstances.
    Mike

13. It is as simple as that!
    If you don't go to work, you don't get paid.

14. Whaler

Whaler Whaler

Wormdunker69, you're absolutely right.