Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 101 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i do little trout fishing, but love reading the posts and seeing the pics of them. i have a serious question, though. what is the fascination with catching small brookies from small streams. i have friends who are addicted to this, but i can't understand why. is it being far off the beaten path with a tiny rod? they are beautiful fish, for sure, but they all seem so tiny. again, this question is not to ruffle feathers, i really would like to know the fascination. thanks, rap

·
Registered
451 Posts
Ohio?? Nope.Pa.my daugher caught these at Toms Run.were up here now and she may hit it later on the way home.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
432 Posts
Brook trout are completely legal to fish for in PA, unless otherwise noted at certain locations that might be sanctuary... but there are many streams that all hold healthy populations of both native and stocked brookies, (as well as rainbows and browns) that are totally legal to fish for and even possess as long as they meet the regulation creel and size requirements.

To my knowledge, Brook Trout are illegal to fish for in all of Ohio.

There are some natives that have been found in some waters in Northern Ohio, but in all cases they are protected as an endangered species. The only exception to this might be Castalia, where they hold the lottery every year to fish... and I'm not sure that brookies are even among the species at that location anyway.

·
El Fly Guy
1,846 Posts
I think the folks that focus on large minnow sized trout are more in it for the nature than the actual fishing & trophy fish. Me - I like to catch any fish that I can, and any chance I can get. I prefer to be out of touch from civilization when I'm fishing, but I'm also not going to spend $2000 on a flyryod, hike 15 miles to a stream 3 feet wide, and target that elusive population of 6 inch fish. THAT'S not my thing. But we must not criticize those that like to do it. Everyone has their own thing.

What I DO find funny is when people try to match the hatch exactly to try to catch the rising trout, and then the kid across the way with his Scooby Doo rod and reel throws a metallic inline spinner and catches the same fish repeatedly. There is a certain level of absurdity involved - especially when those that pursue in that most pure way project snobbery towards those that fish in a more modern fashion. And for the most part, I haven't seen that type of attitude on OGF (well, maybe a couple) as much as on dedicated fly fishing forums.

·
BASS prodigy
1,188 Posts
I got this one out of castalia 3 years ago, is it a brook? It was my first ever trout and my PB at 8.2lbs

Kyle
HPT
CP

Attachments

·
Registered
457 Posts
I got this one out of castalia 3 years ago, is it a brook? It was my first ever trout and my PB at 8.2lbs

Kyle
HPT
CP

that looks like a brown to me

·
Smallie Chasin' SOB
1,069 Posts
I didn't catch it but the stringer of fish from PA are most likely stocked into a creek. We fish up there in the spring and catch em' that color out of Tionesta. The native wild ones we hook every once in a while are more colored and have a huge head compared to stockies! I can't wait to get up there in April!

1 - 20 of 101 Posts