Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
I always do..... but plenty don't..... that was enough for me to end tow truck driving , 270 fast lane during rush hour, even with a police car on site

·
Registered
589 Posts
You'd never imagine how many times I've had my hard hat blown off by a semi that's running to the right of the white line, i swear its a badge of honor for some of em. Lots of em make every effort to get in the left lane. Its the few that think they're jokers. 4 more years and no more

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Had to change a flat at 10 at night in the rain on work vehicle back in February on 71N between Columbus and Cincinnati...definitely a problem at night when you can't tell what lane they're in as they approach with headlights blinding you.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Had a defective metal valve go on a tire heading south on 79 from cranberry to Pittsburgh. AAA said 90 minutes minimum. Even with highway patrol behind me, didn’t seem to slow anyone down or move over. Put the wife and kids up on the hill and prayed while I changed it!

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Yep...co-worker and I took turns eyeing traffic...ready to jerk the other away from the van in case something looked like it was going to get too close...definitely scary.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I’m a fleet mechanic and have experienced most drivers not moving over. There are a few who do move left, but not many. Wish I could photograph all the people I see on their phones while they blow by me at 70 mph! It’s insane! My hi-viz clothing isn’t going to help when they’re not even looking at the road.

·
Great cycle challenge team OHIO GAME FISHING
1,799 Posts
A better one is to move far away from your vehicle. It can be replaced, you cannot. How many times you see a drunk or someone crash into cop car, trooper or citizen vehicle. People are injured and killed from staying in vehicle or too close. Move 100 or so feet away if possible. Move up the embankment, etc.

·
catchin my own bait since 1957
1,231 Posts
You'd never imagine how many times I've had my hard hat blown off by a semi that's running to the right of the white line, i swear its a badge of honor for some of em. Lots of em make every effort to get in the left lane. Its the few that think they're jokers. 4 more years and no more
had a Highway patrolman tell me once that truckers had a kind of underground code for getting so close to the Smokeys on the side of the road that they could blow thieir Smokey hat off ...

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Not to derail this thread but does anyone ever stop to help random people on the side of the road? Guy i used to work with called me one evening about 6-7 miles from where I live and asked me to run a jack and 4 way out to him on the side of 33 because he was helping a someone. Drove out and gave him a hand then when the other guy and his son drove off I asked him who they were and my buddy told me he had no idea but he always stops and offers a hand. One of the nicest and cheerful guys I’ve ever known but he’s passed on. I’ve considered doing it.....

·
Great cycle challenge team OHIO GAME FISHING
1,799 Posts
I am not handy at all. I can only change a tire. I'm guilty like most people in only having the final destination in mind. Your coworker musta been a pretty good guy.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Maybe back in the 70s or 80s. Never had a trucker ever get close while i was on a traffic stop, disabled or accident on I-75 in my 25 years. They were the only ones that moved over or used any caution. Ive seen many times semi's block traffic, rolling road block, force a lane change for us and anticipation of different incidents, they knew what to do. I always felt like i could count on them. Only had one bad trucker experience. Accident down to one lane, long single line of 10-20mph traffic. He blew by the entire single line to get ahead of all the traffic and rear-ended a fire truck and other vehicles. I ended up going over guardrail.

had a Highway patrolman tell me once that truckers had a kind of underground code for getting so close to the Smokeys on the side of the road that they could blow thieir Smokey hat off ...

·
Registered
601 Posts
I will pull over on non highway or interstates to help push disabled vehicles otherwise I do not stop. Too dangerous being on the side of the road with people going by at those speeds, even if you choose to stop you're going to have to get into the emergency lane, back up, just too much risk and not knowing what the other person has going on upstairs.
I actually carry a full size jack plus Rubbermaid container full of tools almost always especially if towing the boat (cordless impact, breaker bar, hand tools, lithium battery jumper, tire plug, extra wiring, bearing grease, and a full bearing/hub assembly for the boat trailer). After the few breakdowns or tire blow outs it really is a life saver to have such things on hand if possible.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Matticito in my family you would be still be walking. Before anyone in the family is allowed to get their temps we make them change a tire among other things. We have dropped doing an oil change as too many cars it is hard to do without a lift anymore.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts