Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Soutwest Ohio Muskie Assc
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need to make a decision on broadhesds for my new xbow. Thinking about going with Rage, but not sure if to go with the 2 blade version or 3 blade. Looking for advice on number of blades and other manufacturers that are better than the Rage, if any.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
969 Posts
I've been using the Spitfire 3 blade mechanicals, 100 grain, for years and have never had a deer go more than 60 yards with them. I love them!

·
Eat-Fish-Hunt
1,632 Posts
Mechanicals are great out of xbows. If you go with the Rage I would stick with the 2 blade. Spitfires are good too. You may want to look at the Shwacker's too. Did have a promotion on them in the Hank Parker website. I believe it was 2pks(6 heads) for $34.95

·
Banned
1,759 Posts
I shoot Muzzy. Great broadhead. Rage for crossbows look awesome too. Looks like the deer gets hit with an axe!

·
Registered
542 Posts
Just bought my son rage crossbow 125 for his b-day (2 blade), shoots great w/practice head. Not sure of the difference between reg. and crossbow heads (other than cutting dia. and price)? A lot of great reviews so we'll find out.

My father-in-law loves spitfires.

We used to shoot crimson talons black mamba's, but they didn't deploy very well. Unfortunately!

I too shoot muzzy's from my compound. Bad to the bone!

·
Get in where you fit in..
121 Posts
I used rage 2-Blades and love them, never had any issues. Some people say mechanicals are a bad idea but shoot one and see what kind of damage they can do. Looks like a murder scene when you walk up to your deer.

I think some skeptics need to be more concerned with shot placement and not just assume a rage anywhere will kill a deer. No matter what you are shooting its all about placement, but a 2" cutting diameter will increase your chances. I've never seen a deer run further than 60 yards when hit with a rage.

I also like the fact that they fly just like field points so there is no need to change your sights.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I've shot 100 gr. 2 blade rage for several years now from my Quad 400 crossbow with no problems. I don't know why they need to make special ones for crossbows now. Every deer I've shot had complete pass through ,some cutting through 2 rib bones going in and coming out. Never had to trail one over 75 yards.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have used nothing but spitfire broadheads for years now and only lost 2 deer. One was a shoulder hit, left tons of blood but eventually lost the trail. The other one was somewhat gutshot and I lost it in extremely heavy cover. Most deer drop in 60 yards or less.

·
Pushin' Tin
4,518 Posts
Check out the G5 heads. They are basically indestructible and open consistently.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Pushin' Tin
4,518 Posts
I don't know why they need to make special ones for crossbows now.
I believe they supposedly have stronger retention clips to withstand the initial shock of a crossbow..... take it for what it's worth i guess.....

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
861 Posts
I do not like mechanical's

I have used 125 thunderheads for ever. I have never lost a deer.

But I am going to use NAP Bloodrunners this year. They are mechanical's but not.

Check them out

I lied I hit one in the shoulder with a different kind of broad head. The deer live I seen it months later with a limp... I is all on placement..

·
It's Trigger Time!!!
1,486 Posts
A lot of good broadheads out today. I have used Slick Trick 100 Mags for a few years now and love them. They are fixed blade, but fly with your field points. Open up big holes with 4 blades. A little cheaper than other heads out there as well.

Red Head (Bass Pro) has a mechanical that gets a ton of good reviews on Archerytalk. http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/s...001_10206975?hvarTarget=search&cmCat=10017452

You will find that there will always be fans and enemies of almost everything. You have guys who swear by Rage and guys who say they will never shoot them again. I stay away from them because of price, but if I could find some in the $25 range like my STs, then I would give them a whirl.

Lg_mouth

·
Registered
636 Posts
I use Muzzy 3 and 4 blades at 125gr. (x-bow) Only problem I have is finding the 4blades in 125gr !!!! No problems finding game after the shot --

·
Registered
170 Posts
I use 125 grain spitfire pro with carbon arrows out of my wildcat c5 xbow.big wound channels and never lost a deer cause they dont go far.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Rage 100gr 2 blade for me. Struggled for years trying to find a bh that had similar flight to my field tips. Finially found it and the results are just redicilus when you put the heat on the deer. In my experience the blood trail and drop time is better than anything i have used in the past.
Works great with my set up but everyone seems to have differant results. Priced on the high side, i think there trying to kill the working man. If my wife only new whats this stuff cost!

·
Registered
117 Posts
The Rage 2 blade is the most popular head I myself didnt like them. Depending on the speed of your xbow you may need to pickup the high speed broadheads, I myself love the grim reaper high speed 3 blade I have shot three deer 15-30 yards and pass through every time.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts