Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I use 125 grain woodsman broadheads and find to be accurate and lethal at 25-30 yards anyone else have any thoughts on heavier heads or a different make. I shoot a 50# recurve and wooden arrows so I started using these because they were highly rated !%

·
Registered
11,409 Posts
I don't shoot recurve but my brother-in-law does and I think he still uses at least a 140 grain broadhead. I don't think he shoots wood arrows though and I have no idea how that works in as far as spline strength. If you go with a heavier tip you may need to go with bigger feathers on the back end to maintain your proper front of center ratio. The bottom line is once you get the proper combination between these factors then most any broadhead brand should fly properly if properly tuned. I would start by shooting some 140 grain field tips and experimenting with feather/vane combinations as well to see which flies best. Test it by shooting through paper as well and not simply where the arrow is landing on the target. If they are not flying true on release then any problem will be magnified when sticking a broadhead on.

If I talk to my brother-in-law I will see what other advice he may have.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input I've only been shooting the rercurve for 2 years this will be my third season so I'm still experimenting with arrow broadhead combos I think I'll try some heavier pionts before the season starts. between the arrows and broadheads the wallet starts getting light come september:)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts