close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Brett Favre

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ReadHeaded Hunter, Jul 8, 2008.

1. ReadHeaded Hunter

ReadHeaded Hunter Catchin eyes

I love brett favre and always have and though its hard to say, i think its time to move on. if he woulda not announced his retirement, i woulda been ecstatic but it creates way too much instability for the team to have him retiring and coming back every year. Aaron Rogers was the #2 recruit coming out of college and he's played 4 years behind one of the best QBs ever. He's ready to take over the offense, and i beleive he'll go down in history as one of the best QBs ever, just like his predecessors.

I was just wondering what you all think of all this new drama sorrounding farve?

2. I too agree with your comments...

he should just go fish....
    Frank

3. I have always been a Brett F fan too, but I agree that it's time to go. One thing you can NEVER take away from Jimmy Brown is that he didn't play too long (he retired at 30-still the BEST!). While Brown retired a little too early (IMHO), I HATE to see great ballplayers (in ANY sport) play so long past their prime that they detract from their own legacy.
    Mike

4. crittergitter

crittergitter Multi Species Angler

Uh....Joe Montana played for the Chiefs and I don't hear anyone poo pooing his career over it.

Brett Favre is today one of the 5 or 6 best QB's in the NFL. Rodgers is an unproven guy who could be the next Leaf or Harrington? The Packers have enough talent to win the Super Bowl THIS YEAR, so if Favre wants to come back then I think it would be a monumental mistake for the Packers to ignore it or move on without him.

I am not a Packers fan, but I have always liked Favre and I don't even care that he is indecisive about his career. So what! We all are. The difference is he is a hall of famer and he should get a little benefit of the doubt in my mind.

That's my .02 on it.

CG

5. JF1

JF1

I too am a huge Favre fan, and if he didn't announce his retirement I would have loved to watch him play.

However given his MOVING retirement press conference and the fact that he stated he knows he could still play on sunday, but couldn't dealw / the day to day grind of monday through friday. Along w/ the fact that it would turn the packers upside down, think he should move on and stay retired.

6. Capt.Muskey

Capt.Muskey Ohio Fishing Militia

Favre should enjoy his much deserved retirement! Barry Sanders is the guy that retired MUCH too early!!!! :(

7. He lives in Wisconsin...some of the best fishing up there.

I think he could have stayed and played another season, and I think they would have had a strong chance to get to the bowl this year. But the Packers have designed a plan to go on without him, and I think they should stick to that.

No matter what happens, he will always be one of the greatest to have played the game.

8. ReadHeaded Hunter

I agree. He's earned himself some nice relaxing fishing trips. it killed me to see michael jordan, the greatest player to ever step foot on the hardwood, come out of retirement and be mediocre at best. I fear that thats the direction that Favre is headed

9. I'll go ahead and say that the Packers are better off without him at this point. He has always thrown too many interceptions, and at bad times during the game.

He's a good quarterback, and made of legendary toughness and grit.

But the Pack will be better off without him.

10. crittergitter

Last year Favre completed 66% of his passes for 4155 yards, 28 TD's and 15 Int's.

You think the Packers are a better team with a guy under center who has never taken a snap in the NFL? Ok, maybe Rogers has a handful of snaps, but clearly he has NO experience and yet you think the Packers are better off without Farve. That's funny! lol

The guy played freakin great last year and it's not like he has been retired for a full year and is attempting a comeback.....ala Reggie White. He is better than anything that the Vikings, Bears or Lions will throw out at QB this year. If they want to win the division, challenge for the NFC title and have a legitimate shot at the Super Bowl, the Packers should be begging him to come back.

CG

11. krustydawg

krustydawg KrustyDawg

No doubt a true legend of the game and an athlete that I admire but it's time to hang it up bro. How many times can you call it quitsy's and then come back, plus I don't think I can handle another end of the season-on the field-after the game sob session. I prefer to remember the man in the first picture and not the second. Enjoy your retirement !

Attached Files:

12. crittergitter

Oh and I did a little more poking around in the numbers.

"he throws to many interceptions"

That's funny, he didn't throw as many as Carson Palmer last year or Drew Brees, Eli Manning or Tony Romo.

In fact, for the guys who were a regular starter for their respective team(played 12 games or more), there were only 12 QB's last year that threw less interceptionst than Favre. Of those 12, only 3(P. Manning, T. Brady & Rothlisberger) threw more Touchdowns and 3 of them had single digit TD's with less than 2500 yrds passing. Also, only 2(T. Brady & P. Manning) had as many pass attempts as Favre.

I would venture a guess that if he plays for the Packers this coming season he'll have a better overall season than more than half of the QB's in the league. If Rodgers were to start the season for the Packers this coming season I would have no guess as to what he can do in the face of a blitz, three deep zone, press man coverage, or after getting his bell rung a few times?

CG

13. Sorry man, I'm just not a Bret Favre fan.

14. krustydawg

krustydawg KrustyDawg

Come on now, if you ever played any form of athletics you have to admire the man. He never missed a game ! At any position in the NFL that is unbelievable let alone QB. The man is a throw back and there will never be another like him in my opinion, in a day and age when you dislocate a finger you are cosidered day to day.......but then again aren't we all, day to day that is...:p

Consecutive starts streak
    Since first being named the starter of the Green Bay Packers before playing the Pittsburgh Steelers on September 27, 1992 Brett Favre never missed a game. He is currently in first place for the most consecutive starts by a quarterback in the NFL and one of only five quarterbacks to have started over 100 consecutive games in NFL history. He failed to finish a game due to injury on only six occasions since taking control of the Packers as quarterback. Besides Favre, there are only two other active streaks of 100 or more games, those of Peyton Manning and Tom Brady. Since the beginning of Favre's consecutive start streak, 410 other quarterbacks have started in the NFL, 11 of them being back-ups to Favre at one point. The consecutive starts streak is widely considered one of the most notable streaks in sports, so much so that the Pro Football Hall of Fame has as an exhibit displaying the jersey Favre wore during his record breaking 117th consecutive start as a quarterback, and a section of their website devoted to what the Hall of Fame calls an "Iron Man".

15. If I was Aaron Rodgers, I'd want out. He has got to be as sick of this drama as I am.

16. ReadHeaded Hunter

That's one of the main reasons that i say Favre should just give it up for good. Even if he does come back this year, the old man only has so many games left in him, and the pack is gonna need rogers to take over the offense. if you look at past and present great QBs, a very high percentage played behind another great for a few years. i love Favre and i'm a big pack fan and i have to say that i look forward to seeing what rogers can do under center.

....oh yeah and if favre comes back, theres gonna be alot of packers fans that aren't gonna be too happy that they spent 50+ dollars on a #12 jersey :D

17. ESPN said Favre has been working out with a local high school team in Lousiana while all of this is going on....man, if those kids are paying attention that would be a huge way to start a high school season off right....what a story to tell to see him walk out on the field and take some snaps. As for the ones cathing the ball....espn said he looked good and "has lost nothing" from his arm....bet those kids had some red hands!! :D

As for playing in the NFL....history has shown the players that play for $$$ and the ones that play for the love of the game....guys like Favre just can't walk away if they feel they can still compete....we have seen this many times in the past....going back to Franco Harris, Joe Montana, Strahan.....it can be that much of a shocker to the NFL and my bet is on him being with the Panthers because the beset thing for the Pack is to move on with Rogers.

18. Whaler

Whaler Whaler

He's over the hill. Let a young guy come in earn some big bucks .

19. Brett's not over the hill--yet. I will concede that by pro player status, he is one old bugger. But he has lived, breathed, and lived football all his life. It's what loves to do and lives to do. If you have seen some of his interviews and watched him play, he's just a big kid having fun and taking losses as hard as anyone. Yet his type of personality shows with the "i can't decide about retiring' press conference had held a couple years ago. Now he shows that again with wanting to un-retire after his emotional retirement press conference. He got bored golfing and hanging around the farm. Too bad. There are a lot of people who retire from a job they've loved for years and don't adjust, not to mention drive their spouses crazy. But as good as a player and public figure he has been, the level of immaturity shown is sad. No wonder the Packers "have moved on". Instead of betraying the Shrine we know as Green Bay WI, he should take his football skills, money and good public image and put back into the community somehow. I'm not talking Free Tibet or Save the Whales; there are plenty of other celebrities in our faces with that. Things like kid sports development programs or scholarships. Don't get me wrong, I loved watching him play even Tivo-ing games just to watch him play and was sad when he retired. But the boy needs to be a man and live up to such a serious decision despite it feeling like a mistake. We all make mistakes and we all learn to live with them, most of us not making a public spectacle out of ourselves in the process. He set a good example playing and should continue that in his retirement.

20. ReadHeaded Hunter

saw on ESPN today that the pack refuses to release Favre. they said he will be welcome back on the team but only as a backup to rogers. i think this is a great move by the packers!!