Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Ya but it would be nice to see the numbers that are in rocky not just the occasional steelhead caught while fishing for smallmouth. I know it would be awhile before it happened but it would be nice to know if something is in the works for some stocking to start.

·
Konfused Kayaker
5,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Seeing as how the river got "Clean Water Status" or whatever they call it, it shouldn't be too long before stocking starts. The CVNRA is already looking at putting in several canoe/kayak launches too. For greedy reasons, I have mixed feelings about both. Kinda of used to having the river to myself. ;)

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
While the State is just now starting to reopen, I have to wonder if the dam failures in MI this past week expedited this project at all.
Regardless, it's nice to see this get started.

Reactions: swone and matticito

·
Great cycle challenge team OHIO GAME FISHING
1,797 Posts
While the State is just now starting to reopen, I have to wonder if the dam failures in MI this past week expedited this project at all.
Regardless, it's nice to see this get started.
A dam that actually holds a reservoir would be bigger priority to fix. Supposedly Griggs is at risk but is said to be in fair shape. The Cuyahoga always floods in valley view. No dam there. The valley floods at riverview near weiss road all the time. Near the walk in pond the creek you have to wade thru always floods.

·
Great cycle challenge team OHIO GAME FISHING
1,797 Posts
The dam at the gorge is scheduled to go too. Not sure when though. My friend is excited for that one

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
One day the city akron will stop dumping poop in the river when the behemoth epa mandated poop tunnel project takes the crap during heavy rains.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
I can't wait to see what runs upstream to Akron when the dam comes down. It would be nice to get some white bass and instead of the little white perch. Walleye would be great too.l

·
Registered
394 Posts
I can't wait to see what runs upstream to Akron when the dam comes down. It would be nice to get some white bass and instead of the little white perch. Walleye would be great too.l
Its doubtful that walleye would move in on their own. The strain of walleye that used to run up the Hoga was wiped out once akron and Cleveland started pumping their waste and silt into it. It would have to be restocked and who knows how long it would take to get a run established again.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Agree! Soon as they say its stocked, the weekend fishermen come out the woodwork. It will happen naturally.
Doubt it. You'll always get the occasional straggler like we are now until stocked with fry that have imprinted on it. I've kinda changed my stance on introducing steelhead just because they're not native but it would be nice that to have something in there other than smallmouth and pickerel sized northerns. You'll occasionally get something out of the ordinary but not much more. I'm pretty much done with smallmouth and pickerel since I went up to maine. I was catching 3 and 4 pound smallmouth almost every cast when fishing for stripers on the Kennebec. It was fun the first couple casts, after that not so much. Historically there weren't as many black bass as there are now. They've taken over as more niches that were opened up once other species were eradicated. I think that's mostly why I rarely fish for them because I've realized they're practically like carp. Smallmouth are one of the reasons why atlantic salmon are in such a sorry state. And things won't improve in the Hoga diversity wise until some smallmouth are thinned out.

·
Banned
1,866 Posts
I remember many years ago getting many steelies there before it became a shoulder to shoulder "hot spot". Actually my biggest buck came from there. Ive got some decent numbers in holes upriver but you really gotta work for them and expect to get skunked more than not. Its nice working holes by yourself up and down certain stretches. With that dam coming down,there should be a few more making it up further by avoiding the dam harvesters and not holding there as much through the winter. Its a tough jump but ive seen 5hem do it many times. I live a stones throw away right at the furthest point they can make it and its funny watching them try to jump "that". That area is really hard to fish though in the winter and even harder to land one.

As for stocking the Hoga, they would uave to pull numbers from the other rivers to stock the Hoga. The great lakes and Erie have state limit with each other regarding how many certain fish can he stocked by each bordering state in regards to maintaining a healthy system.... ohh..... guess what the largest bio mass is now in Lake Erie? Give it a look,its not shad...

The 303 dam could be the next hotspot.

·
Banned
1,866 Posts
Its doubtful that walleye would move in on their own. The strain of walleye that used to run up the Hoga was wiped out once akron and Cleveland started pumping their waste and silt into it. It would have to be restocked and who knows how long it would take to get a run established again.
You mean sauger? Sauger were extremely prominent in lake erie tributaries before a mix of commercial harvesting and water quality MASSIVELY thinned them out to a small remaining population in the Maumee and Sandusky.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts