Ohio Game Fishing banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
A dry dust won't get soggy but will drop down in the oil and need to be filtered. Just roll untried fillets in the coating and fry. Coconut oil is the best, tastes like nothing. 375-400 is the right temp enough oil to float fish when done. Big pan called a chicken fryer or a big Dutch oven. Chicken fryer pan is apox 16" diameter, 3" deep, straight sides, heavy bottom stainless steel. I can put mine on the big burner of the stove turn it up to high with 2" of oil and once it's up to temp as soon as the last piece of the batch goes in the first one is ready to come out.

Drakes is good, not enough salt though more flour than cornmeal. Old standby.

Zatarans crispy southern is seasoned cornmeal, easiest and tasty. My favorite. Just roll fish in it and drop in the oil.

Wife likes shore lunch, its flour and potato flour, sweet, not as crispy. They say to dry fish egg wash then dry powder. Too much work.

Pure cornstarch is very light and crisp but no added flavor at all.

Pancake mix is good but can burn, used this in a Canadian fish fry emergency, lol.

4 methods I use are:
dry dust- Just roll fish in something dry. Drakes, zatarans, cornmeal, cracker crumbs, etc. Easiest and never greasy I prefer this method.

Dry wet dry- roll in a fine starch like flour then egg wash then crumbs of something. Panko, saltines, potato chips, etc. Pretty good, but you get club hand.

Soak in milk then dry dust. Really it should be butter milk. Then seasoned flour, cornmeal or a mix of such.

Batter dipped. Fish needs to be dry or batter will not stick. Self rising flour and beer, drakes and beer, McCormick beer batter mix etc. This tastes great if done perfectly and you always need extra beer so..

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
White cheddar Cheez-its. Use a rolling pin to crush them extra fine. Run through egg wash then shake in bag of cheese-its. I make several different batters but this one wasn’t posted yet. Zatarains crispy southern with a half cup of grated Parmesan cheese is also good. It’s our favorite perch and bluegill mix.

·
On the back 9 and loving it!
8,942 Posts
Thinking about this thread reminded me of something. Back when I was still working and selling wine, I sat down with the manager and owner of a restaurant in Hudson, OH, and engaged in the following conversation.

One of the wines I was showing that day was a delightfully crisp Sauvignon Blanc that was the best aperitif wine I have ever had! You couldn't take 2 sips of that wine and NOT get hungry! Since it was a white wine, the subject turned to fish. The owner asked why ALL fish had to be breaded those days! What was wrong with a simple baked fish dish?

This was back when Panko was in its heyday, which has continued for a long time!

I've had baked, uncoated, fish that was wonderful to eat!

Reactions: Saugeyefisher

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Thinking about this thread reminded me of something. Back when I was still working and selling wine, I sat down with the manager and owner of a restaurant in Hudson, OH, and engaged in the following conversation.

One of the wines I was showing that day was a delightfully crisp Sauvignon Blanc that was the best aperitif wine I have ever had! You couldn't take 2 sips of that wine and NOT get hungry! Since it was a white wine, the subject turned to fish. The owner asked why ALL fish had to be breaded those days! What was wrong with a simple baked fish dish?

This was back when Panko was in its heyday, which has continued for a long time!

I've had baked, uncoated, fish that was wonderful to eat!
I’ve never had baked fish that I really enjoyed but I’ve been grilling more and more lately (getting older and trying to find healthier alternatives than deep frying). We eat fish atleast once per week so trying all kinds of different ways to cook it. So far have grilled whole bluegill, saugeye, walleye, trout, salmon and catfish. I zip my eyes so we bag the backs together for the grill and the belly meat for the fryer. Just a little bit of seasoning is all they need on the grill. We do blackened catfish and it is amazing on the grill.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Andy’s breading or batter depends on what I’m in mood for

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Surprised your only the 2nd that I saw who likes Andy's . I use the Andy's red for the majority of my fish frying and I've been told by alot of people that it's the best fried fish they've had . I dunno if it's the breading or other factors but I'll just continue with what I'm doing I guess .

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Rarely cook fish...
But for chicken tenders
Usually use anything available...I do like Drakes, but often it is a combination flour, drakes, crackers, bread crumbs,andy’s,etc.
But my trick, trying to get more crispy flakes is to add instant potatoes
Try it and report back.

·
Bronze > Gold
2,011 Posts
Have traditionally used a typical beer battered recipe you can find on the web - flour, corn meal, old bay, baking powder, salt. Looking for a bit more crunch I ran across a recipe that said to use a standard batter mix then to roll the filets in crushed corn flakes. Didn't have corn flakes but had corn Chex and those worked great. Shown below are original recipe and extra tasty crispy.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts