Ohio Game Fishing banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
I did a beer batter but the batter was a little soggy after frying one side was crispy other side not crispy any suggestions on what I could change

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
When you take them out of the oil, set them on a wire rack.

·
Premium Member
1,995 Posts
I definitely agree on the cooling rack.
If you like a light batter on the walleye, as i do, try Lay's Potato Chips run through a food processor. I crush'm up pretty fine, then after a dip in buttermilk, into the chips and deep fry.
I get a little crunch, the right amount of salt and i can taste the wonderful flavor of walleye through the breading. ;)

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
We've been using Orlando's seasoned bread crumbs and cornstarch,a 3/1 mix and egg wash. Seems not to be as heavy as other crumbs. Also you can add some jarred parmasian for added flavor. I still think that all the recipes are very good but the key is keeping the oil at the right temp.

·
Registered
5,965 Posts
Get a deep fryer that has 1500 watts of power. It will rebound fast when the red light comes on. Holds a little over a gallon. Get a wire laddle and keep the fish rolling til done. I like peanut oil or Gorden Foods sells a fryer oil. Drakes, make it supper thin. You'll learn as you go. Don't have a group over for a fish fry til you get it zeroed in! lol

·
Registered
16,214 Posts
I used to go to a company fish fry for years and their fried fish was always very crispy with a great taste. I asked the fry cook what he used for the coating and he told me it was milk wash then breaded in Aunt Jemima pancake mix.
Yep that's what we use at the cottage in Canada. Aunt Jemima mixed with beer or milk and an egg. Dip the fish and deep fry until they float.

Reactions: Saugeyefisher

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
So is the aunt Jermiah pancake mix like a wet beer batter or is it like a bread crumbs my kids love it crunchy

·
Registered
11,277 Posts
Flour fillets first...egg wash...crushed and ground saltine crackers. Make sure oil is 350.
Same as above with a 50/50 mix of plain unseasoned bread crumbs and panko. Make sure your oil is 350 minimum (i use 375) and into the oven (180) after frying ON WIRE RACK. i WILL ALSO HEAT MY SERVING DISHES.

·
retired pipefitter120/669 sprinkler fitter
1,271 Posts
Zatarains, Shore Lunch, for baking I use Ritz crushed 1/2 stick butter smoked paprika sometimes Carribean jerk seasoning

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
I like it light , flour, egg wash and into a mix of black peppr, salt, Italian bread crumbs (finely crushed saltines a close second) and flour. Occasionally I'll add a pinch of garlic salt, taco seasoning or even chili powder.
I like to have the mix in a doubled brown paper lunch sack and drop the filets into it, shake and fry--- cause that's the way my dad did it :)
This thread motivated me to thaw some saugeyes for dinner.
Good luck and good fishing

·
Registered
9,531 Posts
So is the aunt Jermiah pancake mix like a wet beer batter or is it like a bread crumbs my kids love it crunchy

Aunt Jemhia with egg and liquid= batter=best for deep frying.... coated with dry ingredients then egg wash then more dry ingredients = good for both deep frying and pan frying.
Both can be really crispy. A batter leaves more of a sealed breading imo,kinda like captain d's...

·
Registered
7,770 Posts
Drakes or Zatarains. I like Drakes for beer batter. For some added crunch, after breading dip fillets in an egg wash then roll in panko bread crumbs. Add seasoning to bread crumbs if you desire.

·
On the back 9 and loving it!
8,942 Posts
Same as above with a 50/50 mix of plain unseasoned bread crumbs and panko. Make sure your oil is 350 minimum (i use 375) and into the oven (180) after frying ON WIRE RACK. i WILL ALSO HEAT MY SERVING DISHES.
Yes! x2 on the wire rack in the oven! Keeps the fillets warm and allows excess oil to drain off. Back before I had a thermometer or a deep frier, I fried in a standard frying pan. I'd start the oil heating and watch it until it developed that "shimmery" look. Then I'd dip the tip of my pinkie in water and flick a drop into the oil. If that drop danced, it was time to fry!

Reactions: Saugeyefisher

·
Registered
201 Posts
Depends what you want texture wise.

I brine my fillets in 3.5% saltwater for about 20 minutes. Pat dry, egg wash.

I do a lot of different breading and batter but my go to is wheat flour, corn flour, breadcrumbs, and panko all about equal parts and just a sprinkle of cornmeal. That can be overpowering on smaller fish where I'll back off the crunchy elements but good size walleye chunks its a nice balance.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I did a beer batter but the batter was a little soggy after frying one side was crispy other side not crispy any suggestions on what I could change

Frying in a pan? If you put too many fillets in, it reduced the temperature of the oil too much

21 - 40 of 52 Posts