Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is best breading for fried walleye do you use your own mix if so looking to try some new stuff if you buy it what are you using

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Seasoned bread crumbs , Andy's red , old bay , no real recipes , just toss a bunch together , soak fillets in milk a few , dredge and fry , also Louisiana beer batter , I switch up often

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
I use: Italian bread crumb, panko bread crumbs and frying magic, 1/3,1/3 and 1/3 add a few good shakes of old bay and garlic salt to the mix and use Egg wash with a splash of milk.

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
292 Posts
A friend of ours brought us some Moss seafood breader, made in NC, it's a light coating, already seasoned and real easy to use. I think it can be ordered online

·
Registered
149 Posts
Dredge in flour then egg and milk wash then a mixture of homemade breadcrumbs and Panko bread crumbs. Melt a little butter and a bunch of chopped parsley drizzle that over the deep fried Walleye. And of course a cold beer. Homemade breadcrumbs are important

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did a beer batter but the batter was a little soggy after frying one side was crispy other side not crispy any suggestions on what I could change

·
Registered
724 Posts
Andy's cajun version if I just want a seasonedcoating. Bass pro shops Uncle bucks fish batter original and the light n krispy version if I want a crunchy airy batter.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
I use Andy's . I use the Red usually but I like the Cajun . Just a little spicy for some people so if i am cooking for others I play it safe and use Red.

·
Registered
556 Posts
This is the way to go after frying food.

When I deep fry i use drakes batter mix,substitute the water for beer.

When i pan fry,i use most anything i have around the house.
I used to go to a company fish fry for years and their fried fish was always very crispy with a great taste. I asked the fry cook what he used for the coating and he told me it was milk wash then breaded in Aunt Jemima pancake mix.

·
Great cycle challenge team OHIO GAME FISHING
1,456 Posts
I did a beer batter but the batter was a little soggy after frying one side was crispy other side not crispy any suggestions on what I could change
I think the batter has to be on the thin side, hot oil, fry it long enough. But I've had good and bad results. Bad with thicker batter.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
corn meal or masa maybe add some salt, pepper, garlic and pepprika. Dunk in milk with an egg then dredge in the cornmeal pan fry in veg oil.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts

Your oil ain't hot enough when you started.It probably cooled enough on the first side and when that happen's the batter will absorb the oil.Try a deeper pan for your oil so both sides of the batter are done at the same time then reheat your oil to the recommended temp again before your second batch.Batter frying is noted for greasy fish if the oil is not hot enough.I'm not a fan of it just for them reason's'too touchy but good if its done properly.Good luck.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts