Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the water temps dropping we made our first trip out in several months after work. Water temp was 75 and the fish were healthy. We didn't have any majors or minors but we did fish on a full moon. Very very fortunate to have a multi fish night in a couple of hours. Hopefully the blade bite continues for the next month or so. I have to go to alabama for work this wholeeee week, but I'll hopefully be back out this weekend/ next week. Have a great week and good luck if you make it out.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I see SF has weeds. CC is like a desert, devoid of weeds except for a couple small patches here and there.

I'm sitting out this weekend as all the idiots in their new boats will be everywhere. I watched one in a 25-30' cabin cruiser come back into a stump filled cove. Not sure how he didn't loose his prop but he sure seemed confused. I can't go back in there without knocking a few each time and I'm on my TM watching for them. I guess God does look out for most drunks, babies and idiots...

·
Banned
1,866 Posts
I see SF has weeds. CC is like a desert, devoid of weeds except for a couple small patches here and there.

I'm sitting out this weekend as all the idiots in their new boats will be everywhere. I watched one in a 25-30' cabin cruiser come back into a stump filled cove. Not sure how he didn't loose his prop but he sure seemed confused. I can't go back in there without knocking a few each time and I'm on my TM watching for them. I guess God does look out for most drunks, babies and idiots...
By SF do you mean salt fork? I'm going to fish that lake hard for 4 days when I'm home and never fished it before.
I mainly cast for musky at WB and do rather well there.

I'd be willing to trade my best musky casting spots at West Branch for the best musky casting spots at Salt Fork.

Can do in a pm

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Yeah, I messed up. They were on west branch, right, not salt fork? Trying to do to many things on the computer while watching the video and commenting. Haven't had a chance to fish either, only CC.

·
Registered
599 Posts
By SF do you mean salt fork? I'm going to fish that lake hard for 4 days when I'm home and never fished it before.
I mainly cast for musky at WB and do rather well there.

I'd be willing to trade my best musky casting spots at West Branch for the best musky casting spots at Salt Fork.

Can do in a pm
Isn't every spot on west branch a good muskie spot, just kidding. I've fished salt fork a few times, I prefer to cast too but salt fork is narrow and easy to troll staying at a certain depth. I'd start off trolling (I only ever stay north of the campground ramp) and keep an eye out for any flats, weed beds, tiny coves/inlets to go back and cast later. When you go back cast bucktails or glide baits/dive rise/twitch depending on water temps, if still warm would spend a lot of time on blades but whatever you have confidence in. Id troll 5-7inch shad baits and have a believer out there.
That would be my game plan. Look at Google maps to help get a layout of the lake. I've been fortunate that when I have gone I've never been skunked and I'm sure you will find some fish.
Good luck and have fun out there.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I hate trolling for musky
I do too and have chosen to spend days casting catching 1 fish vs a trolling bite where I could have done better. I still think it's an easy way to pick out a dozen casting spots while scouting new water. If you don't want to troll on google maps any of those deeper cuts will have fish, run to the dam there are usually weeds along the whole right side going down, theres a little cove back to the left as well, the area by the cabins can be good too since you will already be in that area. If things cool off enough I'm sure fish will move shallow and be all over the place, just depends how things cool down in my opinion. Good luck.

·
Banned
1,866 Posts
I cast till I get tired, then troll. I have yet to catch a musky casting..all caught trolling and those caught were in places I'd never think to cast for em. ;)
That's when I troll,when I get tired from casting.
I cast along weed edges and drop off points and do ok.

I'd say my favorite thing about casting is seeing them follow

1 - 17 of 17 Posts