Brake light question

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by DarbyMan, Apr 11, 2008.

1. DarbyMan

DarbyMan Seize the day

I have a 92 Chevy 1500. The brake lights aren't working and I can't figure out why. I am a fairly decent mechanic and have done quite a bit of work on this truck over the years. Got new fuses, new switch, new bulbs and they still don't work. Anyone ever have a similar problem?

Turn signals still work as do the tailights. But my reverse lights aren't working either. Those haven't worked for a while, but the brake lights just recently went out. Is it possible for the reverse lights to effect the brake lights?
    Thanks

2. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

did you check the brake light switch?

3. Darby.
    I had the same problem on a 97 Astro van. I found out the problem was in the reverse light socket. Wiggle the reverse bulbs around... if you can get them burning, try your brake lights. Hope this is helpful!
    Scott

4. Fishpro

Fishpro Northcoast Madman

Check all of your fuses again. ;)

5. fishingguy

fishingguy The Inferior Fisherman

I think misfit probably is right. When you step on the brake it probably opens a switch somewhere. Take your foot off the brake, switch closes. Find the switch and find your problem.

6. BigDaddy300

BigDaddy300 multi species angler

He said that he tried a new switch already.

7. WHEN you have lights that did work just fine , the very first thing you do when you have troubles is , CLEAN THE GROUND < redo the grnd end , not half ass'ed either ,take it OFF ,clean and replace . . if that don;t fix it , take a brick put it on the peddle and start probing the truck plug , [I:D look for a brake light fuse in my book first] ain;t these little buggers fun to chase down good luck .

8. Check a wiring diagram could be a turn signal switch.

9. Skeem

Skeem Killing Threads Since 06'

A buddy of mine had a 88 with the same issue. If i remember right and I could be thinking of another truck. It has some thing to do with the pass. side rear tail light. Is there some kind of circuit board attatched to it????

You might try over at http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/

I am sure someone there knows.

Good Luck,
    Joe

10. DarbyMan

DarbyMan Seize the day

Thanks ya'll

Ya, I put a new switch in already. Cleaning the grounds is something I could try, gonna mess with the reverse lights and turn signals tommorow.

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.

11. Did you get the switch adjusted properly? I know some are threaded if you don't get the correct distance it won't set off the switch. The same on the reverse lights they are on a switch either on the column or floor depending on your transmission. My reverse lights sometimes don't work and I have to wiggle the lever. (92 Chevy)

12. The printed circuit in the tail light itself is corroded,very common. MIKE