Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I haven't really fished in over twenty years. Lately while doing some research I've been seeing braided line mentioned. Is it really much better than monofilament? I've got the classic clear 10LB Trilene on my reel right now. I do notice it tends to twist a bit more than I'd like. Is braided straighter and does it cast further? I assumed it best if I got braided to get either grey or darker green but there's so many colors. Looking at more general purpose line really. Interested to hear some opinions.

·
Deerman94
50 Posts
I run a braid on all my spinning rods the feel you get with braid is 10x better. Get a bit more distance but i also run about a 6 foot liter of my braid.

·
Registered
11,394 Posts
Pound test depends on bait caster or spinning (??????) You are going to get a lot of different opions answering your question but here is what iI have settled on. Most braids are much friendlier than many mono filaments, although there are some new mono that are quite limp but costly like braid.
I have 12# braid (Power Pro with fluorocarbon leader) as well as 8# fluro on my spinning reels. 40 to 60 pound braided on my bait casters and also 14# Fluro. I only use 6# mono on my panfish set up.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pound test depends on bait caster or spinning (??????) You are going to get a lot of different opions answering your question but here is what iI have settled on. Most braids are much friendlier than many mono filaments, although there are some new mono that are quite limp but costly like braid.
I have 12# braid (Power Pro with fluorocarbon leader) as well as 8# fluro on my spinning reels. 40 to 60 pound braided on my bait casters and also 14# Fluro. I only use 6# mono on my panfish set up.
I have an inexpensive Kastking spinner I’m using now. Really just going for small and largemouth bass. There’s some cats and perch too. Do you not tie the braided line directly on the lure or hook you’re using? I’m not familiar at all with leaders. Still doing tons of research. So many ins and outs.

·
Registered
11,394 Posts
If you want one line for all, I would suggest 12#Braid with a two to three foot 10# Fluro leader. Use a back to back Uni Knot to attach the leader to the Braid. Tie hooks directly to the Fluro and use a clevis for all other lures. DO NOT use a swivel, only asnapattached with a clinch knot. There is nothing fancy about this simple single line suggestion. If you decide not to use a leader, tie the clevis to braid using a Palomar knot.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you want one line for all, I would suggest 12#Braid with a two to three foot 10# Fluro leader. Use a back to back Uni Knot to attach the leader to the Braid. Tie hooks directly to the Fluro and use a clevis for all other lures. DO NOT use a swivel, only a clevis attached with a clinch knot. There is nothing fancy about this simple single line suggestion. If you decide not to use a leader, tie the clevis to braid using a Palomar knot.
Just looked up the Palomar knot. Looks nice and easy and it says it's the strongest fishing knot. Good stuff. Never heard of a clevis before. Seems like there's a lot there. Happen to have a link to a guide for what to buy?

·
Registered
11,394 Posts
Leader length depends on water clarity. I normally use a 24 to 36 inch in lightly stained water and up to four/six foot in clear water. The longer leader will allow you to retie several times before attaching a new leader. Fluorocarbon provides good resistance to abrasion to the end of the line that encounters the most obstacles.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Would anyone consider using only fluoro on a casting setup vs braid?

Sent from my Lenovo TB-X304F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
793 Posts
I just had a reel filled with fluoro for crank baits. This is a new to me I have never spooled a reel with all fluoro line on it.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just got my 10# braided line in the mail today. I didn't expect it to be so thin. 350 yds and I'm not even sure it'll fill the reel! lol

·
Registered
867 Posts
Spool mono half way up the reel/spool, then tie the braid to the mono and finish filling the spool!
Hope this helps!!

·
Registered
310 Posts
If you want one line for all, I would suggest 12#Braid with a two to three foot 10# Fluro leader. Use a back to back Uni Knot to attach the leader to the Braid. Tie hooks directly to the Fluro and use a clevis for all other lures. DO NOT use a swivel, only a clevis attached with a clinch knot. There is nothing fancy about this simple single line suggestion. If you decide not to use a leader, tie the clevis to braid using a Palomar knot.
Sorry Shortdrift but a clevis is the device that spinner blades and such spin around on, is it not? May be that you and yours have been calling a snap a clevis, but with all due respect I don't think it's proper. Just don't want to confuse the guy. You are correct in saying that he should not use a swivel with most lures, but what he should be using is just called a snap. I prefer duolock snaps as they are more reliable and IMO easier to use. For what QPC is doing, a size 3 or 4 is probably best. Also, there is a reason to sometimes use swivels, i.e. snap swivels, that being when throwing a rotating lure like an inline spinner. Here is a link to duolock snaps:

https://www.jannsnetcraft.com/duolock-snaps/335410.aspx

1 - 17 of 17 Posts