close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Braided Line???

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by Mr.Bass., Feb 28, 2005.

1. Mr.Bass.

Mr.Bass. Banned

Hey guys,

I was wondering when and where do you use braided line? I have heard of people using it in clear water but dosent it spook the fish? Should I use it for flipping? Thanks for any info

2. ncraft150

ncraft150 Buckeye-Basser

I use it on spinning reels for skipping under docks and pontoons. If the fish takes of around a rusty dock post you can still get them out. Other than that I never use it.

3. I only use it in and around heavy cover, like thick grass or lily pads. Braided lines will get you out of these areas by cutting through a lot of the vegetation. And much like Ncraft said, it has great reliability around docks too. But if you want any stretch at all, this ain't the line for you. Most are stiff as a board, one of the compromises of this line.

Eric

4. if you do use it DON't use a normal hook set or you may bust you guides or even worse your pole...
    I like mine for deep water verticle jigging but not without a mono leader so that snags can be broke off... That line is super tuff and hard to break. I also like it on sand bars where I know I won't get any snags... Its very hard to beat ripping thru vegatation as stated...

5. Procraftboats21

Procraftboats21 Original OGF Member

great for deep water finesse fishing... like drop-shotting, it lets you feel everything

6. I love braids and use them for practically everything. Power-Pro is my usual brand. I started out using braids on my spinning outfits since they have low memory, then I was introduced to Power-Pro when muskie fishing with baitcasting gear. Now I use braids on all my bass and muskie gear.

Like Warpath said, there is no stretch in the line so if you're using braid with top water lures or cranks and spinners with a fast retrieve it's best to have a rod with a slower action. I use fiberglass St. Croix's for this application.

The main limitation of braids, other than no stretch, is that they don't have good abrasion resistence so if you are using a braid around rocks you might be in trouble. Around rocks I use a mono leader or a fluorocarbon leader in really clear water.

I'll also might use a fluoro leader in really clear water when finesse fishing; not that I do much of that, I'm primarily a crank and spinnerbait guy.

For flipping, braids are great. Lots of strength with less diameter and they slice through vegetation pretty well.

The strength, sensitivity and casting ability of braids far out weigh any limitations in my opinion. I flat out love braids and wouldn't want to go back to mono.

Steve

7. Mr.Bass.

Mr.Bass. Banned

i probably wont use it much because I set the hook way to hard. Thanks though.

8. Bass_Hawg

Bass_Hawg Certified Hawg Master

I use braid on everything. And just think about this for one min. If you think the fish can see the line and get scared well what is it about those big treble hooks that says hey put me in your mouth. I have not noticed any difference in the quantity or quality of fish weather I use mono or Braid so I said MMMMM. Braided line is more sensitive, has no memory and is over twice as strong for a smaller diameter line. I'll take Braid. The only application I do not use braided line for is Crank baits because the Crank just doesn’t seem to swim quite right with braid compared to mono. I think the stretch in mono helps with the swimming action of cranks.
    If you learn how to properly set your drag you will never half to worry about setting the hook to hard. I love braid.

Spider wire stealth is what I use for everything all in the 30# flavor except for flipping and pitching. I use 50# for that.

9. Mr.Bass.

Mr.Bass. Banned

Bass Hawg you should try Power Pro, It is round unlike spiderwire which is flat and it gets caught around the spool release on spinning reels. Since power pro is round this never happens. Just a thought.

10. Bass_Hawg

Bass_Hawg Certified Hawg Master

Hello Mr Bass, I have wanted to try it (Power Pro) but low and behold when Christmas came around I got 3 spools of Spider wire. I think sometime soon Middle of fishing season I will change out my line and give it a try. I have heard a lot of people say they love it, so yes I am going to half to give it a go. Thanks again!

11. Any reports on Power Pro?