Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
I have been thinking about setting up a bait casting reel with braided line for perch. I have read post here that says braided line you feel the bite better. So what do you think is this a good idea braided line for perch fishing and then what lb size should put on......Matt

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I use 10# yellow Duracast braided line for perch. 5' ultra light to light rods (my favorite right now is the President combo - about $79 at Cabelas). Capt Curt's perch rigs. truturn red hooks #6.

You need to feel when the line feels a little heavy, because they can be light bitters..... but sometimes they pound them...lol

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Know nothing about the braid viper speaks about.

The advantage to braid is it does not stretch....that makes it excellent for trolling dipsys with spoons or harnesses. No stretch makes it terrible for trollin stickbaits like ReefRunners. Braid is also slippery and can slide out of many board clamps unless ya wrap it once around.

ml....highly recommend any braid for your perch rods. The "no stretch" characteristic helps ya feel every little bump. My fav perch rod has recycled 30# powerpro braid from one of my trolling rods. That line has been in service trollin and perchin at least 8 yrs.

·
Registered
7,771 Posts
I have been thinking about setting up a bait casting reel with braided line for perch. I have read post here that says braided line you feel the bite better. So what do you think is this a good idea braided line for perch fishing and then what lb size should put on......Matt
I use power pro 10lb test/2lb diam. for all my perch rigs.

·
5,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I use the same as my walleye poles and it doesn't seem to make a difference as they bite either. LOL! And thats 30# power pro braid. Simply because i buy it in 1500 yds rolls. Got a roll of 20 coming in mossy green. Think i'm going to change all my reels to that. I really see no call for 30 lb.
Usually run 20# Seaguar fluoro line have a spool of Berkley vanish fluorocarbon leader and was thinking of using it. Buddy seems to think it will lose to many fish! So what does everyone else think. I think if a boat weighing over a ton is able to be pulled by a man. a 12 lb fish should be able to be caught on 4-5 lbs easy.

·
Banned
14,059 Posts
I haven't used the line viper is talking about but I have tried several brands and cant really say one is that much better than the other. I have power pro on my trolling reels its just a little smaller diameter than the suffix 832 in the same lb test. but I like the suffix 832 in 20 lb test for bass and bluegill fishing.

as for perch fishing any size braid will work but all you really need for perch is 10 lb test. the first time I perch fished we used 65 lb test and used crappie rigs and it didn't even slow the perch bite down. we got done trolling and had some time left so we bought some minnows and crappie rigs and used our trolling rigs for perch fishing. we had a ball until we ran out of bait.

if you've perched fished with mono you'll love using braid. it only has about 3% stretch so you will feel every bite.
sherman

·
5,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I use power pro only these days. Expensive yes, but totally reliable. I have used many braids that break for no reason. Thats why i asked about that one. I have found so far no equal to power pro. Just bought a reel on ebay 1500 yds for 76.00 Fantastic price. As 150 yds goes for 15-20.00 dollars.

As far as perch. You could use clothesline with them. Not smart fish but love to eat! LOL! Just be sure to use a crappie or perch rig.

Really don't know everyones problem with vanish. I have used it many times for leader even in the ocean. And never lost a fish because of it. Only questioned it because we always use 20 lb seaguar and was wondering if the 10 lb would hold because of diver,lures,boat speed and weight of fish. But will stay with the seaguar 20 lb fluoro for now.

·
Banned
14,059 Posts
viper I have to say I had trouble with using the vanish fishing line for leaders we lost several fish because the line broke. I switched to seaguar leader material and have never looked back. and I to use 20# test. it does cost alittle more than vanish but whats a couple of bucks when you figure the total cost of catching a few fish.
sherman

·
Registered
805 Posts
From a cat fisherman stand point the power pro braid is awesome!! Price sucked especially being a fisherman on a budget.. but I had it on a medium sc combo I had worked well for bass and catfish. . Can really feel the bites.. I like to tightline it when fishing catfish and I kid you not if felt like I could feel the slightest nibble. ... and the break strength good lord! I hooked a snag and left my pliers back in the car so I put on gloves and started pulling.. 20' of line later I had my hook and an 10' water logged limb on shore with me...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
5,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
viper I have to say I had trouble with using the vanish fishing line for leaders we lost several fish because the line broke. I switched to seaguar leader material and have never looked back. and I to use 20# test. it does cost alittle more than vanish but whats a couple of bucks when you figure the total cost of catching a few fish.
sherman
Well I have used it on other lakes for smaller fish. Wasnt sure about Erie. General opinions is 20 lbs is the safest. So will take the advise and stay with it. Price wasn't the issue but money is always tight. And buying twice costs more than buying once. The issue is those days when fish seem real wary. Thinking a smaller ,lighter presentation might pay off. May still put a couple of the lighter rigs on boat to try those days. As when your getting nothing, losing a few dont hurt so bad. LOL! May get a few extras in the boat. But the regular rods will remain the same. Except for my lead core. Trying a better grade of braided lead core line. 30% smaller 3 x as strong and the same sink rate they claim. Will spool two reels with it and leave two reels alone to try. Seems everyone once to set the hook on trolling lines like bait fishing. Our lead core just wont take it. Going to start handing rods off to people after the fish is on.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.