Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a spool of 30lb and 40lb braided line i haven't used and a shimano spirex reel lying around so i bought a seven foot rod at gander mtn rated for up to 40 lb line, how do i go about spooling up the my real so the line doesn't slip and stuff? also i plan on using it for frogging weeds but what other techniques would this rig be good for?

·
bassing around
1,919 Posts
i use them spools of stren big game line 1500 yards for 6.00 at walley world fill you spool half ways then tie a sergen knot,with brad and mono crank a few times then i put a small peace of duck tape over knot then i walk out 75 yards and cut braid then spool up,if your braid is 150 yards thats good for two rods then in the spring pull it all out to the knot cut and turn it around and your set for a new season,you just cant were that braid out i got braid on two rods ive been useing for over 4 years,and break in is where i fish new for a bit then cast as far as you can then reel it in with the line pinch with your fingers and that cleans the color and water out a bit at a time till it get nice and soft,and easy to cast,and not that coated bread its just to stiff,dont care for that kind at all,goodluck hope this helped,markfish

·
Banned
6,234 Posts
I don't know about your reel...but some are made for braid, the spool itself will have grooves or is very rough to hold the line. If not, you can do what Markfish suggested or you can also put a piece of electrical tape on the spool and then just put on the braid.

·
CJ Wolfpack
4,311 Posts
I got a 7' Ugly Stick with a baitcaster spooled with 50lb braid that I use for two applications,froggin' & chatterbaiting.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts