Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
captainhook
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have you guys or gals ever seen braid look like this?
One friend said to check the guides for wear. They were pretty worn out, so I peeled a bunch of line off, but it continued to look like this until I hit the spool. I think that the line must have been slipping on the spool.
Fluid Cylinder Gas Machine Electric blue

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Is the spool evenly filled from left to right ? Looks like the right side has more line than the left . If your spool isn't evenly filling and one side has more diameter it could cause your problem

·
captainhook
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally, the line broke twice, and I lost 2 dipseys. When I got home, i re spooled it with just braid(no backing...didn't have any extra line and I was going again the next day. So, with the new line, I used it for awhile and noticed that the line was getting all scrunched up. Peeled it all off again and it looked like crap all the way to the spool. Got some backing line and filled the spool halfway and filled the rest with the braid. It looks Ok as far as being even across the spool. Now I just have to get out and try it again. I had never seen line look like this before.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I have run into this. When braid is spooled loosely you will have this problem.

The only fix I have found is to unspool the entire reel and reel it all up again under tension. That is the key.

When I run into this issue, I tie the line to my porch and walk out the entire spool (100+ yards), tighten my drag, and reel it all up with the rod fully loaded (bent).

·
Registered
129 Posts
spool on 20-30 yds of mono (or more if you don’t want to wind on a ton of braid that you will never get to) right onto the spool. Then fill remainder of spool with braid. Will keep the braid from slipping on the spool.

Sounds like you did this the second time around so hopefully this fixes your problem. Hope it works!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
95 Posts
I put new braid on I always run it off the spool when I get to the lake. It will work out fine when it gets wet as you are reeling in. If you don’t do this the first time you hook a fish ,if it’s big enough will drive the line deep into the spool, good luck getting it out. Wet line being spooked solves a lot of problems like your having.

·
captainhook
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Never thought about the pawl being worn out. It was the rod and reel that I seemed to catch most of my fish with. It was a sentimental rod as well. A good friend gave it to me a long time ago, and he passed away last year. Not sure how long that he had it, but it is shot as well. Thanks for the info, will let you know how it goes, next time that I get out.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
Ducknut hit it on the head with Tunas Reel…$5 part…but maybe you can get it locally through Craig…I would get a couple of extra…you know how that goes when one goes the rest are right behind…the price you pay for catching a lot of fish…lol lol

1 - 20 of 23 Posts