Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine just picked up the Precision Trolling app. He uses braid and and noticed Bandits don’t have a braid selection. I’m wondering how braid users calculate depth in the case that it’s not an option... like Bandits?

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, that’s kinda what I told him but I’d thought I’d see if someone had a more definitive answer.
Thanks.

·
Registered
213 Posts
You want 0.013" diameter mono or 0.008" diameter braid to match the app. They very 1 to 7 ft it seems.

For bandits, the easiest method is go to the 50+ method. The weight seems to take out some of the difference.
I have troll master app and it gives braid and mono depths. Example 10# mono with bandit at 2mph was 60ft line. Braid 30# with bandit was 53ft of line to get to 15ft of depth for both.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have troll master app and it gives braid and mono depths. Example 10# mono with bandit at 2mph was 60ft line. Braid 30# with bandit was 53ft of line to get to 15ft of depth for both.
Mine did have braid and mono for deep bandits before this last update. Now it only has mono and 50+

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The guy that created Troll Master said he just corrected a mono/braid conversion error on his app. I’ll take a look at it on the water next week... (weather permitting).

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So, in regards to troll master. If you are using the 50/50 method, if I under stand him correctly you enter the amount of line before the snap weight as a leader. It comes out much closer to Precision’s numbers. He uses a very small depth sensor ahead of the lure. He said he believes it is accurate.

Mark, (precision trolling) verifies his numbers with divers...

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
These apps are designed to get us close fellas. We know a lot of factors like speed, line, current, wind, ect. play into these charts. How many times do we get bit on a turn either on the inside or outside? A lot of times I’ll adjust a few of the bait’s depth according to that depending how I get bit on the run. Now sometimes you set it to the apps number and you get bit all day regardless of any factors. If your marking fish at 30’ and you use the app to put you at 25’ you will be close.. Not as much in the last few years but most of the time we are still “dialing in” after setting baits to the apps magic number. Too me that’s part of the fun. Imo the only thing that would be more accurate is running your own fish hawk. These awesome hatches we have had sure are spoiling us today but that’s a good thing. Are we all gonna suck if it is at the other end of the spectrum in a few years? I probably will. If so, at least our baits will be running these same depths.:D

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
These apps are designed to get us close fellas. We know a lot of factors like speed, line, current, wind, ect. play into these charts. How many times do we get bit on a turn either on the inside or outside? A lot of times I’ll adjust a few of the bait’s depth according to that depending how I get bit on the run. Now sometimes you set it to the apps number and you get bit all day regardless of any factors. If your marking fish at 30’ and you use the app to put you at 25’ you will be close.. Not as much in the last few years but most of the time we are still “dialing in” after setting baits to the apps magic number. Too me that’s part of the fun. Imo the only thing that would be more accurate is running your own fish hawk. These awesome hatches we have had sure are spoiling us today but that’s a good thing. Are we all gonna suck if it is at the other end of the spectrum in a few years? I probably will. If so, at least our baits will be running these same depths.:D
Very well said Brian. We all try to make it an exact science with all of the "gadgetry" out there but in the long run it just a starting point for the day and the adjustments we make afterwards.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Very well said Brian. We all try to make it an exact science with all of the "gadgetry" out there but in the long run it just a starting point for the day and the adjustments we make afterwards.
Yep...ABC...Always Be Changing. I’m not a sitter or driver. If something hasn’t fired in 15-20 minutes it’s off and gets tossed on the dash to dry. This year it seems I’m changing more than other years to pick up limits.

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
For me, the app I use helped me gain confidence trolling cranks with weight. After some success I was more apt to experiment thinking I have some idea where my lures are running.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts