close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Bradys Leap Kent Info ??

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Agent47, Jun 1, 2007.

1. Agent47

Agent47 Trying to pull it in!!!!

:eek: Anyone ever fish the Hoga up by Bradys leap in Kent. I believe thats by the famous "Standing Rock".
    Might come back up to Kent or Munroe Falls next wknd. Was curious about that part.
    Some years ago I worked at the railyard there and we would fish it ..course this was YEARS ago, we did good on a variety, cats gills, etc..
    Anyone know about now ??

2. ezbite

ezbite the Susan Lucci of OGF

no, i never have. but i see the sign all the time when im driving on the turnpike. i always wondered what that was. you can fish there?

3. fishingful

fishingful Time to fish!

i have fished there deep cut i havent been down since they took out monroefalls dam and kent dam so i dont know what it looks like i have caught crappie bass and a pike there before

4. That used to be the spot for big pike. Haven't heard much lately.

5. Try standing rock and go north.Also go from the dam in kent down passed fred fuller park.There are trails and alot of good spots,if you are willing to get wet..... .

6. I've never fished there, but I have seen folks down there in waders. If anyone has any luck, let me know--I'm always out that way during the semesters, and off and on over the summer.

Anyone ever heard the story about Brady's Leap? Nifty tale. They named the old Brady's cafe after him... I miss that place. Starbucks is good, but I'm all for the small local business guy.

7. I would like to hear it FishingGirl. Also about Standing Rock. Is it part of the same story?

8. My Grandmas house is the one that overlooks Standing Rock behind the cemetery. The indians use to hold meetings there and would use it as a place to shoot from. Brady's Leap was in my back yard growing up. Captain Brady leaped over that part of the river running from the indians. Of course the river was not as wide back then. Brady's Cafe use to be a staple in Kent. Fishinggirl did you work down there? Kent is a great town. There's no fish in that stretch of river though. You should go towards Front st and the gorge area. That's where Jack Kiser use to always say there were BIG fish. LMFAO. Have a great weekend and hope to see you out there. By the way, where can you get a Team OGF hat? Thanks.

9. i thought i read an inscription on the west side of brady lake when we fished there in the mid 60's ---that capt brady jumped in the lake there and was breathing through a weed when the indians were lookin for him----he must have liked jumping offa stuff

10. I have fished there since the dam went down and it's not worth your time. The water is much lower than it was. You'll get some small fish in that area and that's about it. You're better off further downstream.

11. No, Magician, I never worked at Brady's. Just got bread and coffee sometimes when I had a late class. I got my undergrad at KSU, and I'm working there now on my MA. Imagine my heartbreak when I returned to discover my beloved Brady's had been eaten up by a big-business coffee chain...

The story goes (as my wonderful Grandma tells it) that Brady's homestead was set upon by Indians. Brady's wife and children were killed, and he was taken hostage. After moving west for a couple days, Brady escaped. The Indians chased him all the way to the river, where he jumped to safety. Yes, the river was probably more narrow then, but if you look at Brady's Leap, you know that it was still a risky jump. Brady later earned local fame as an "Indian Killer" - he was pretty bitter I assume.

Anyhow, it's a neat story from our local history, and the namesake cafe is much missed by us KSU old school types. Time sure flies.

12. vkutsch

vkutsch You scratched my anchor!

....The Indians then crossed the river at another spot and resumed the chase. According to Brady, he ran through the woods to the now Brady Lake, and hid in a rotted log, and in the water, as the pursuers looked for him, eventually giving up.

As for fishing, I covered that section yesterday. It is extremely shallow, with just a few holes spread through. There are mostly small white perch in there, with some other small fish mixed in (blugill, little rockbass). Fred Fuller is much better area in Kent- deeper holes and slower water, bigger fish (nice large and smallmouth, and Pike, plus big crappie and such) and lots of access. My avatar is from Fred Fuller.