Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Sitting somewhere fishing
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, i'm going up to an aunt's condo in bradenton (On the bay) she has a kayak up there and i was going to do some snook/redfish fishing (Never tried it before) Any tips to the gear and baits I should use. (Note, i'm willing to buy a set up at the BPS there i just returned a rod mentioned in another one of my posts) Will post the results

·
Registered
457 Posts
You'll have to get out early this time of year, always best to fish with the tide. Standard bass tackle will work, just make sure you hose everything down at the end of each day. I'd tie a 20-30# mono or flouro leader to 10-12lb mono with a uniknot. Snook have a razor sharp patch on their gill plates.

During a moving tide it's hard to beat a free-lined live shrimp (no weight) over the flats. You'll pickup trout as well, and if you see sandy spots (potholes) in the flats summer is a good time to catch flounder. For snook a live baitfish works best but that'll be hard to manage without a livewell. As for lures, try Gulp baits in natural patterns...they are hard to beat.

Good luck, just remember to fish the tides both incoming and outgoing! Let us know how you do.

·
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here's update one! So I went out with just a thing or two I got from home and I caught what I beleive to be a juvenile cuda? Correct me if I'm wrong. 1376143377971.jpg
I know it looks as though I fouled him but I had the hook pop out ans snag him I had him on a minute before that so far no snook though will post updates as soo. As I have one.
Sent from my SPH-L710 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

Attachments

·
Registered
5,786 Posts
Yep, sure is. That's only the second one I've ever seen from that area. The other was one I saw pushed in from the Gulf during a sever cold snap back in the 80s.

·
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just got back from another try for a snook and I got a.... flounder? Or is it a halibut. No idea honestly. 1376153707423.jpg so far I've gotten two on doa shrimps I n pearl and red amd white.

Attachments

·
Registered
827 Posts
Flounder. Many in the bay this time of year. The other pic is def. a juv cuda. Caught a similar size one in Buttonwood Harbor a few years back. My son got one about 40" off a wreck a few miles offshore about 6yrs ago.

If you are looking for snook, check the lighted docks at night where there is some water moving. You'll see them cruising through the light halos feeding on shrimp and glass minnows. Important to match what they are feeding on closely. Probably also in the surf along the beach still at daybreak. Good luck.

·
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Last night my father and I got out at high tide. It paid off. Multiple runs and two landed first was a seven lb redfish by my dad 1376242137262.jpg then a big run on my dad which resulted in.... drumroll please. A twenty plus lb stingray both released to fight another day!

Attachments

·
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I finally got my my first redfish! Not anything huge but I did it! Got him on a finger mullet.

Attachments

·
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well another eventful night. On the first cast on a finger Mullet I got a huge run. Drag screaming and everything. I turned it. Brought it in and it was a bonnethead shark. About three feet long. When I went to land it a pal told me to lift it over the retaining wall and my pole snapped :mad: well he replaced it nonetheless. Then later I had a few missed runs ( I was using circle hooks) I hooked into a nice 26.25 in redfish. Greater night and ill be up at five for high tide where I'm at.

Attachments

·
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well last night I got a monster 32 inch red. Dont have pics for yall yet so hold your horses!

·
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here she is. Sorry bout the quality. Its a screenshot from the only video of her.

Attachments

·
Registered
134 Posts
I was down in Anna Maria in may. I saw some of those redfish, wasn't able to hook into any of them though. I did catch a small shark, pompano, trout, flounder and a ton of whiting.

Glad to see you where able to catch a few of those I'm sure they were fun.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts