close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Bowflex ? Are they worth the money?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by TritonBill, Feb 11, 2005.

1. Does anyone own a Bowflex, if so what model and how do you like it?

Would you buy another?

Found a good deal on the Bowflex Ultimate XTLU for about 600 off retail....thought about getting it.

Thanks,
    Bill

2. catking

catking Banned

I know a few who have them. And if you are willing to commit to a few hours a week workout, by all means this is the way to go ;) It really is the complete workout machine . Thinking about getting one myself ;) Not that I need it :D ......... THE CATKING !!!

3. 2talltim

2talltim Bubby wanna be

Iv got a proform that makes a real nice dust collector....half the price of bow flex and i get just as good of a work out

4. basstrackerman

basstrackerman marshall

i own a bowflex,and love it! very well built. i was a free weights only guy up until 2000 when i took a chance. i get a much better work out,no pain in my joints anymore.it has a 10 year warranty no matter what happens. i say you cant go wrong.

5. JV1

JV1

probaby #1 in home equip, but not worth paying the retail. look in your local classifieds usually you will see where someone has one for a reasonable price

6. shuvlhed1

shuvlhed1 Banned

You can mimick real weights with a bending rod. no way. the resistance changes across the motion, don't care what they say. buy a good weight machine that takes plates for half the money and twice as nice.

7. Five years ago, I spent $1800 dollars for a Bowflex with all the attachments and upgrades. I would spend it again without a second thought! To buy a weight stack unit (Nautilus) capable of the same excercises would cost 5-7K. I know, I looked very hard at these before deciding on the Bowflex. It is a quality piece of equipment that is still used regularly by 3 people in my home and has never had a breakage/failure of any kind. Another big plus about the unit is weight. It can be easily moved or transported. Maybe 100 lbs if even that much. Many people buy a Bowflex and end up selling them, but this is due to lack of use, not problems with the machine. I know several othe people with them, and you will not hear a negative comment from them either.

Bt the way, Consumer reports has rated given it an excellent rating every year since it was introduced. "Best home Gym" "Best Bang for the Buck"

8. Hey Bill,,,,
    I finally purchased a Bowflex (New Extreme 2) this last Christmas for a Family Present. I used to use free weights years ago, When I was in High Schoool and College... After going into the service and then getting a Job. I think my two little brothers took them over.
    Well my job is gone after 32 years and an arm injury. I have started my retirement and only working on my rentals, My Backhoe, and things around the house....
    I bought the Bowflex because my boy was interested in one and I felt like I needed something to work out on too. A friend of mine that I worked with last summer while putting in a water tap said he uses his to keep himself keep limber and muscle tone.
    Well, I am not real good about being on a good schedule on the Bow Flex, But when I do use it, I fell it helps me. My wife even uses it too. Maybe in a few more weeks I will be able to tell ya more. As far as the used Bow Flex,
    they are well built and smooth to work out on. Just check it out, the cables and the pulleys are the only thing to be concerned about....... other than cosmetic damages... Missed ya at the show!!!! Stan :D

9. There is one in the Columbus Dispatch for $650, says its like new. Here is the number 614 447 1486

10. Does it say what model? The price ranges are pretty big on these depending on what one you get...

Thanks twistertail!

11. shuvlhed1

shuvlhed1 Banned

Yeah if you go to where the YMCA gets their machines. I spent about $400 on my smith machine (on sale) and another $120 or so on a 300lb wieght set. It's not commercial quality but I'm not running a business with it either. It is capable of about 20 exercises (Do you really need more than that?) and holds my 200lb butt and another 200 pounds of weights solidly.

12. The other unit that I'm looking at is made by Hoist. Anyone dealt with them?

http://hoistfitness.com/home.html , i'm specifically looking at the V-2. It's a weighted stack pulley system. It's not cheap so I'm going to find one locally to try out. A friend of mine from college ships these things all over the place and can get me a good deal (relatively speaking).

[​IMG]

13. I prefer free weights over anything since everywhere I have been incarciated doesn't offer machine weights. But I gotta say, have any of you guys ever seen that solo flex commercial on the Men's Channel on Dish Network? They have this 50 year old lady on there advertising the solo flex and man is she smoking hot. There is also this 41 year old tool who says he is a retired beach volleyball player who works out on the Solo-Flex and is quite ripped. But I agree with the others in that you should keep your eyes on the classifieds and you can get a good deal. You know there is some lazy lardhead out there that bought one for their new year's resolution and have only used the thing to sit pizza boxes on. And now, they need more money for pizza and will eventually sell at rock bottom pricing.

14. Sheephead, Thanks for that advice! I enjoy reading your posts :D

I think free weights are good but with the little ones playing around in my basement that's just one more thing for them to crack their head on or get smashed with! With my luck my kids would try to throw the weights at each other.

I agree, the models on the infomercial are looking pretty ripped and in shape.

15. I prefer to use free weights when I work out and as far as all of the television ab muscle builder gimmicks go; nothing beats good old fashion sit-ups and crunches. However if your limited on space I'd say go for it. It can only help, its always better than doing nothing at all.

16. I have the Bowflex Ultimate w/leg attachment. I have had this for about 2 1/2 years. When I first got the machine I had been working out at the gym for quite some time. The transition was easy to go from all the other machines to just one and not have to travel to do it. Unfortunately time became a real issue and I got out of the habit of using it regularly. I still get some motivation now and then and will use it for about 2-3 months straight. It is an awsome machine and I would recommend one to anyone thinking about it. If you have checked out the Bowflex website they also have dial up weights that look very cool. They are expensive but an entire set of weights in a small package. Anyway, the Ultimate is a good machine and I have not experienced anything negative with mine. I always get a good workout and feel like I actually did something. Someone mentioned the change in resistance with them. Yes you will notice some change in resistance. I asked a personal trainer at the gym about that and he told me that depending on your goal it can be beneficial to increase the resistance gradually through the motion In fact, there are machines that do that for you.
    Go for it man! I suggest looking for a good used one though. They are expensive new and shipping will kill you if you have to pay for it.
    Good luck.

17. Reel Man

Reel Man Member

Bill feel free to stop over and check out my body solid weight machine to compare it to the bowflex. The bowflex is a good deal if you are satisfied with it in the end. I think I would rather pay a little more and be satisfied then get a bargain and be unhappy with my purchase. I think I paid around $1700 and the machine I have has a real gym feel to it. Of course I also have the free weights and three different benches too. Now I just need to find the time to use it all ;)

18. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

If anyone wants to check out any of these machines, we have quite a few, both new and used coming in and out of the store I work at, Play it again sports, near chapel hill mall in akron.