Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The O.D.N.R. wants these fish (White Amurs) removed from the local rivers (per phone conversation)......it was not stocked there ever according to them......I would like to release one back at my pond if I had a big anuff live well I may try it.........most the time if I hit one back near the tail or high on the back I do release them and they do just fine.....I shot the same fish twice last year after a release......didn't mean to....he was fine ....just a little scar.........there are so many Amurs out there.....the dnr said they must be escapee's from local farm ponds.

·
Lucky Fisher, or skilled?
1,887 Posts
Nice fish, would have been a fun fight on a rod and reel.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice fish, would have been a fun fight on a rod and reel.
Thanks......i agree........but they are pretty hard to catch on a rod.......man how cool that would be......heck they explode on me and run like a baracuda with a arrow in them.......I had them pull out and burn my fingers grapping the line to slow them down a little.

·
MOD SQUAD
13,657 Posts
nice one.i've caught them up to about 20# on flyrod and what a rush:D

ps...............moved thread here to carp forum.

·
MOD SQUAD
13,657 Posts
luckily those grassies were in a 1/2 acre pond and didn't have eneough room to spool my fly reel:D

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
when i was 9 i caught one on a top water coverd in sea weed and what a blat for sure it was 3 feet long and about 20 lbs

·
click...click...click
1,508 Posts
.I would like to release one back at my pond if I had a big anuff live well I may try it...
To be honest with you...if you do some research on the white amour...you will find that when they become of a certain size, they tend to slow down their eating habits...and the only reason to actually have an amour in a pond is to help keep the moss/aquatic plants under control...so the verdict of the situation is, that in putting a "large" amour in a pond...you're basically defeating the purpose of putting one in in the first place...but I don't know the circumstances of your situation......just my 2 cents

·
Registered
894 Posts
man u all would have a hay day at the private club i belong to, i know for a fact that some of the amur carp that are in the 15 acre lake are easily 5' long and have seen quit a few 4'ers taken by bow, but its basicly pointless fishing for them cause many a people have tried with no success, wish i could get some to bit would be one heck of a fight.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
That's a fact. My neighbors put 6 in over ten years ago. Now they are huge (30+ pounds) and don't eat a fraction of what they ate when they were 5 pounds. And you for sure only want to put sterile grass carp into your pond.

To be honest with you...if you do some research on the white amour...you will find that when they become of a certain size, they tend to slow down their eating habits...and the only reason to actually have an amour in a pond is to help keep the moss/aquatic plants under control...so the verdict of the situation is, that in putting a "large" amour in a pond...you're basically defeating the purpose of putting one in in the first place...but I don't know the circumstances of your situation......just my 2 cents

1 - 15 of 15 Posts