close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Bowfishing help?

Discussion in 'Bowfishing' started by ReadHeaded Hunter, Jun 28, 2007.

1. ReadHeaded Hunter

ReadHeaded Hunter Catchin eyes

i enjoy bowhunting and always thought bowfishing looked like a fun off-season tune up, plus we've got a couple of streams in the area with alot of big carp. i've had alot of trouble finding bowfishing equipment and i thought you guys might know where i should look. also, any suggestions on what i need to buy that is cheap and effective and any tactics would be appreciated. thanks!

2. Carpn

Carpn BOWFISHERMAN

Sukkysbowfishing.com and backwaterbowfishing.com are good sources for equiptment. A couple Muzzy carp tipped arrows and either a AMS reel or a push button muzzy reel with 200# FF would be a good start.

3. Ðe§perado™

Ðe§perado™ Catfisherman/Bowfisherman

He meant to put sullysbowfishing.com and backwaterbowfishing.com. I live out in Licking county, which is not to far away. We could meet up and go out on the boat for some night bowfishing.

4. I think he ment Sullysbowfishing.com !

5. Crap! Desperado beat me to it

6. Ðe§perado™

I do have an old recurve at 52# with inserts for a retriever and has no glovs on the string, but the upper limb has a very slight twist, but does great for bowfishing. Make me an offer. Let me know.

7. ReadHeaded Hunter

as much as i would love to buy your bow, i'm a kid on an extremely limited budget so i'm tryin to keep it as cheap as possible. any suggestions on how to do that? i hit up those websites carpn gave me(by the way, thanks they were alot of help) and i was surprised at how expensive everything is. i'm planning on goin super cheap to start and see how i like it and after i get some money, if i like i can upgrade.

8. ReadHeaded Hunter

any comments on hand wrap reels?

9. Ðe§perado™

Go to some pawn shops and yard sales and maybe find you a recurve or older compound to start out with. The hand wrap reels are good to start out with, but I would try to get a retriever or spincast reel. The hand wrap will wear you out in no time, if you get into a bunch of fish. But I understand a tight budget. Carpn is a great guy and friend of mine.

10. ReadHeaded Hunter

what are safety slides and are they necessary?

11. Ðe§perado™

The safety slides are a plastic slide that the arrow goes though and a stop, that screws into the shaft near the nock. You use them with the retriever reel. You tie the string to the slide on the arrow and it will keep the string out in front of the bow and away from your rest and hands. When you release the arrow will pass though the slide and the stop will pick up the slide and carry the string out of the reel and follow the arrow to the fish. I hope this helps.

12. ReadHeaded Hunter

thanks to everyone for all the great info. im ready to order n ill be out killin carp in no time:D

13. u can order them off of cabelas web site i want to do it but i need a reall and arrow anyone have one that that dont need thats just laying around that they want to get ride of let me plaease