close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Bowfin?

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Red The Fisherman, Jun 23, 2008.

1. Red The Fisherman

Red The Fisherman River Rambler

Can anyone help w/ some info on where I can go to catch one of these dinosaurs?

2. Offshore Limits

Offshore Limits charter captain and guide

tHE LAST ONE i CAUGHT WAS IN A LITTLE MARINA OFF OF THE VERMILION RIVER

3. Closest area is in NE Ohio, try the Tuscawarus river / Killbuck Creek region

I am also wanting to get one of these toothy critters on the fly rod.

Salmonid

4. tusc. river is full of them!!!:B

5. anymore its just as easy to catch a bowfin from the tusc as it is to catch a carp.

6. Carpn

Carpn BOWFISHERMAN

I don't know of any areas in SW ohio with them. Everyone here offered good dvice on Ohio waters to catch them.

7. We used to get our Bass baits hammered by them in Louisiana. THey absolutely destroyed some of my spinnerbaits. Just about any presentation used for LM bass works to catch them. Hope this helps and good luck. DOn't lip them though!!!

8. We used to get our Bass baits hammered by them in Louisiana. THey absolutely destroyed some of my spinnerbaits. Just about any presentation used for LM bass works to catch them. Hope this helps and good luck. DOn't lip them though!!!

9. We call them grinnal in southern MO. I actually have about 30 pounds of fillets in my freezer right now. Very few people eat them but they are really good eating. I don't know anywhere you can catch them in Ohio but Mingo in southeast MO is just full of them. They have a really soft meat, the trick is to fillet them ASAP then role them in corn meal then freeze the fillets until you are ready to cook. These are southern fish and the further south you go the better the bowfin fishing should be. Good luck Kevin

10. Jackson Lake and the creeks around it have a ton of them...

11. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

Heard the same thing here too.

12. Jackson Lake is the place to catch them My Grandparents live right on the lake we catch alot of them my biggest is around 4 lbs. But I have talked to several people who claim they have caught several 15 to 20 pounders down by the dam. They are probably one of the meanest and slimyest fresh water fish their is. but they fight like a champion

13. Red The Fisherman

Red The Fisherman River Rambler

Thanks everyone. I caught my first Musky this year, and now the mighty bowfin is next on my list!

14. where is jackson lake?

15. JTRESS

JTRESS consistently confused

I agree the Tuscarawas river is the place to get them. Try below the lowhead dam at the water treatment plant in Dover. Or the SugarCreek over at Beach City Dam has some big ones also, just watch out for the funny activites over there :(

16. Basskisser1

Basskisser1 And A Kiss For Good Luck!

I caught mine @ Killbuck.

[​IMG][​IMG]

17. This thread brings up some great memories for me. When I was a young pup, Dogfish (Bowfin) were my "Moby Dick". My grandpa had a cottage on Coldwater Lake in Michigan and I would target these fish religiously. Catch a small bluegill, drop the boat anchor on him, hook that mess through the dorsal fin, throw it out about 7 foot from shore and wait patiently for the line to start runnin'. For a 10 year old, they were the fight of a lifetime. You never had to guess when one was biting. Here's me and a childhood friend with our prize catch of the day.

[​IMG]

18. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

Man this thread really has me thinkin about trying to fish for'em :D

19. fishslime

fishslime Catch it, then eat it :)

We'll hook up sometime soon to fish for them. I'll try to find a rocky cliff at jackson to fish below:p

:B I bet they eat hotdogs