Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Semper Fi!
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just wondering if anyone near central Ohio has ever caught a bowfin near Columbus. Just intrigued by these fish and would like to catch one. Any tips/tricks would be nice. Thank you.

·
A one-man wolfpack...
3,144 Posts
Some travel to the lower Scioto might be in order...

ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1484510685.199726.jpg

·
Registered
127 Posts
The portage River is full of them . They hit like a freight train. Go up river and get shallow, a swamp fish. They'll hit anything a bass will. I've seen them as big as 3 feet! My best is 26" and I don't fish for them. They are mean !!! Pike and Musky can't compare.
Called a Sunshine bass in lower LA. by Cajuns. I know a guy that will eat anything and he said he didn't care to eat another. Yellow meat like pike.
Seem to be a warm water fish. Pull harder then anything I've caught in Ohio , pound for pound. Mouth as big as their body. Eat anything including baby ducks. Very hard to get their mouth open to get a lure out, and will bite you. Luckily they don't have teeth like a pike. And you better have stout equipment. My biggest Carp is 42" and it just lumbered along. A 42" Bowfin would take your rod away from you and beat you with it ! They jump, usually on hook up, tail walk, and bulldog. If they weren't so ugly more people would fish for them.

·
Registered
261 Posts
The portage River is full of them . They hit like a freight train. Go up river and get shallow, a swamp fish. They'll hit anything a bass will. I've seen them as big as 3 feet! My best is 26" and I don't fish for them. They are mean !!! Pike and Musky can't compare.
Called a Sunshine bass in lower LA. by Cajuns. I know a guy that will eat anything and he said he didn't care to eat another. Yellow meat like pike.
Seem to be a warm water fish. Pull harder then anything I've caught in Ohio , pound for pound. Mouth as big as their body. Eat anything including baby ducks. Very hard to get their mouth open to get a lure out, and will bite you. Luckily they don't have teeth like a pike. And you better have stout equipment. My biggest Carp is 42" and it just lumbered along. A 42" Bowfin would take your rod away from you and beat you with it ! They jump, usually on hook up, tail walk, and bulldog. If they weren't so ugly more people would fish for them.
I agree with a lot of what you said but pike taste pretty good, prefer it over bass. Dog fish flesh is mushy.

·
Registered
4,314 Posts
Lol. Cleon mentioned they don't have teeth like pike....he's right they're bigger. A good ol.boy in Tennessee cooked some up for me once....wasn't to bad....
Yea, I've caught my share of them at Reelfoot! They're definitely vicious and you dont want to get your hands too close to their mouths! We never did eat any though!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Quite a few years back I caught one at Hoover fishing for bass . I caught it on a jig . They put up quite a fight judging from the one I caught . I have had a couple other people tell me they caught them at Hoover while targeting other species.

·
the boat is gone lazy
9,912 Posts
Yea, I've caught my share of them at Reelfoot! They're definitely vicious and you dont want to get your hands too close to their mouths! We never did eat any though!
The guy that cooked also done some grass carp.....that was delicious....yup at reelfoot

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Bowfin , mudfish , chopique, dogfish , grinnel.... Whatever you call em they fight like hell , have a mouth full of teeth , and have really soft mushy meat . They are a really cool fish . If your wanting to catch one in Ohio best just go fish metzgers marsh . As many there as I've seen anywhere . And as a bonus there's alot of nice pike and bass there to tide you over between bowfin

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I have only caught one and that was out of Pymatuning while fishing for bass. Thought I had a really nice bass on at first, but was happy to see a bowfin as it was the first time I had caught one.

·
Currently on a bender of wipers
54 Posts
Killibuck creek has a decent population

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Backwaters of the Ohio River in southern Ohio. I have not caught one but was with two different people that did.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I use to fish Alum Creek by a train trestle just west of Westerville road back in the day. Their is/was a big hole on the west side of it and I would catch them at night on the shallow flow side of it on worms. I have caught several of them in that area back 20 years ago.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I had one mangle the skin on my thumb up pretty good about 3 years ago. I was just trying to unhook it and it struck at me a lot like a snapping turtle would! Then he didn't want to let go of me either, till I changed his mind with a rock. Thumb swelled up for a few days after lol nasty. They don't really have long teeth like pike, there just a bit longer than a catfish but when they get ahold they bite down hard and start writhing and doing the death role. I have caught quite a few over the years but that one was straight wicked! Be careful! Lol

·
Registered
332 Posts
I was just looking at some pictures of there teeth and they're actually longer than I realized. Dang no wonder that thing tore me up!

·
Registered
145 Posts
They're common in Southern Ontario and the Thousand Islands area. And some are BIG. My son caught one like ten to twelve pounds. We were actually afraid of it so we didn't weigh it. Seriously. My son fought it in using a flippin' rod with 20 pound XT. It was a battle. They are pure muscle. I got the crankbait out of its mouth very carefully using some long needle nose pliers.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts