Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking to catch a bowfin but am having problems finding them...are there any good spots to try around me....I'm located in northroyalton/hinckley area....I'm looking for spot within hr....any tips would be helpful...thanks!!

Sent from my DROID4 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Spillway Angler
291 Posts
Mogadore res. Congress lake rd. Tons of um

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
89 Posts
I too am wanting to get into catching some of these bad boys. From my understanding, using cut gills is a good method, similar to fishing for channels?

·
Freshwater Ecologist
47 Posts
The swamps around Zepernick contain a high number of baby bowfin, with most being 2"-5". There must be some big old (they can live to 30 years and sometimes contain high levels of mercury) mothers in there as well. The swamps are not easy to reach, you have to park on the side of I-172 and walk about 100 yards to get to the edge, but the biodiversity index rating of them is very high according to the Meech scale.
There is a ton of life in these swamps including leeches, predatory diving beetle larvae, tadpoles, newts, snails, and snakes. Zepernick Lake itself is starting to look like a frog-filled swamp itself with as many aquatic plants choking the open water, and as shallow as it was the other day.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Interesting about the Zepernick area. I've only fished it once(around 5 years ago maybe) but haven't heard of any bowfin there. Cool to hear about the high numbers of small ones, and since they can breath air and tolerate high temps they have an advantage in those swampy areas.

·
Registered
214 Posts
description for zepernick sounds familiar to the beaver marsh and canal area around it in the cvnp. the aquatic water plants choking out th eopen water, the snakes and frogs and turtles(painted and snapping turtles that ham it up for the camera)
tried to add picture but couldn't figure out how to.(know more about fish than computers)

·
Pushin' Tin
4,511 Posts
The swamps around Zepernick contain a high number of baby bowfin, with most being 2"-5". There must be some big old (they can live to 30 years and sometimes contain high levels of mercury) mothers in there as well. The swamps are not easy to reach, you have to park on the side of I-172 and walk about 100 yards to get to the edge, but the biodiversity index rating of them is very high according to the Meech scale.
There is a ton of life in these swamps including leeches, predatory diving beetle larvae, tadpoles, newts, snails, and snakes. Zepernick Lake itself is starting to look like a frog-filled swamp itself with as many aquatic plants choking the open water, and as shallow as it was the other day.
Didn't they just drain zepernik a couple of years ago to remove all the plants and silt?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Didn't they just drain zepernik a couple of years ago to remove all the plants and silt?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Ohub Campfire mobile app
Yeah they did, but I think Georgio_P is talking about the other small ponds/swamps around Zepernik. And even if they are/were in Zepernick itself they still could survive as I think they can actually kinda bury themselves(read that somewhere) and survive in those conditions as long as there's at least a little bit of water. Not sure on that though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts