Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Duck Enemy #1
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How accurate do you find the Bouy data? I have been trying to figure out a better way to determine conditions than NOAA weather forecast. For instance, I didnt go today because they were calling for 2-4's but bouy 45005 is indicating the wave height is around 1.3 feet. The crib cam is showing relatively calm waters.

On the other hand, I go out in what is supposed to be 2 feet or less by the forecast and am greated by a 5 foot surf.

Was wondering if anyone ever checked the wave data after they have been out to see how it compares.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I won't go into how they calculate wave height from the buoys, but my experience is to "double" the wave height indicated. I personally call 'em trough to crest.
As far as Noaa predictions, take their "guestimate" with a grain of salt just like any other weatherpredictorperson. Sometimes they're hot, sometimes they're not.
I've been in strong 3-4'r's in Huron and talked to people in Cleveland where the lake was flat.
my 2 cents on the topic

GR

·
Duck Enemy #1
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I bet you are right, you probably have to add the trough to the wave to get the perceived wave height. In other words the wave might only be the height above the average level of the lake, and the troguh would be below, but you feel both of them combined.

I wonder if this is how they predict the waves?

·
Premium Member
8,718 Posts
I've been in strong 3-4'r's in Huron and talked to people in Cleveland where the lake was flat.
True that. I was fishing Vermillion a few weeks ago. There was'nt even a ripple on the water. Talked to a buddy out by the crib via cell phone, and he was heading in in 5 foot + waves.

·
The Original Hot Rod
6,732 Posts
I bet you are right, you probably have to add the trough to the wave to get the perceived wave height. In other words the wave might only be the height above the average level of the lake, and the troguh would be below, but you feel both of them combined.

I wonder if this is how they predict the waves?
Go to this link and place your cursor over top of the wave height box. It indicates that waves are measured from trough to it's apex.
FYI..the info came off the crib cam link in the lower right hand corner.

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/ndfd/graphical/sectors/cleMarineDay.php#tabs

·
Registered
7,771 Posts
I usually try to catch the wind reports at different stations like south bass, marblehead and vermilion buoy in the morning before i leave. My own "rule of thumb is - 5 knots= 1' or less 10 knots= around 2'-3' 15 knots=around 3'-4'. I dont usually go out if it's 20 or more! A lot can depend on the direction of course too. If it's been blowing from Northeast for several days then winds lighten up, you will still have some pretty good rollers coming in over that long distance of water. If winds from southerly direction then shoreline will protect your for to an extent.

·
Registered
571 Posts
definition from the 45005 site

Significant wave height (meters) is calculated as the average of the highest one-third of all of the wave heights during the 20-minute sampling period.

i find them to be accurate but im out of lorain so its close to me

i always measure waves by watching other boats and see how much of thier boat disappears behind the crest---if a standing man disappears its getting pretty serious

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I fish the western basin and used the bouy off Vermillion in the past with mixed results. The one at South Bass is ok but is somewhat off on east winds as it sits on the island somewhat protected. Now they have the Toledo turnaround bouy reporting and it is great for me as its where I'm fishing. But the weather changes so much that it may say 5-6 kts. when you leve home and be saying 20 kts when you get out there, an hour or 2 latter. But for a guide they at least can tell you whats going on at that moment.

·
Registered
7,771 Posts
One of the best sites that I found is here;

http://www.usairnet.com/cgi-bin/launch/code.cgi?Submit=Go&sta=KTTF&model=eta&state=MI

It is set to Monroe where I live just as an FYI. It seems to work pretty well. I also like the graphical link that H&B put up. I check those two along with the open water forecast and then make a decision.

JD
\

JD,
thanks for that link. looks sweet. I set mine for Lorain- http://www.usairnet.com/cgi-bin/launch/code.cgi?Submit=Go&sta=KLPR&model=avn&state=OH

·
761 Posts
As was said earlier, the bouy indicates about half of what you would say they are if you are out there - 2' on the bouy is a pretty rough day, I can't imagine what it's like when the bouy shows 8-9'.

·
"The Widow's Son"
436 Posts
The biggest word in this description is METERS

WVHT Significant wave height (meters) is calculated as the average of the highest one-third of all of the wave heights during the 20-minute sampling period.

In the table they say ft. but in the description of measurements section it refers to meters.

Which one is correct?

Therefore, 2.0 = 6 feet

·
Registered
571 Posts
heres a paste of a reading right now

Conditions at 45005 as of
(12:50 pm EDT)
1650 GMT on 06/22/2007: Unit of Measure: EnglishMetric Time Zone:

Wind Direction (WDIR): NE ( 40 deg true )
Wind Speed (WSPD): 5.8 kts
Wind Gust (GST): 7.8 kts
Wave Height (WVHT): 1.6 ft

the default setting is english measure and the wave ht is described in ft-------a 4 ft wave is huge when you are looking at the horizon from a 14 ft boat---you should barely see out over the crest

hit metric and then select and you can switch the units from english to metric

·
Registered
425 Posts
No problem boatnut. I have been tracking it since I found it this year and it has only let me down once. And that was due an accelerating cold front.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts