Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out of hotwaters this morning launched at 7:00 am, ran to the bouy started our troll right at the bouy itself heading west didnt get anything but some MONSTER sheephead, even a double header of sheephead on a three way setup we were running. Wanted to get away from them so turned and headed east picked up 10 fish in total working over a small pod of fish just south east of the bouy. Watermelon spoon on a dipsy worked for a couple fish but the majority came on a dipsy set on #2 with a purple and pink wormharness 68 back.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Justin I didn't get out there till almost noon and tried to hail you a few times on 79 checking your status. we fished south of the buoy and pretty much caught all trash. As we neared the buoy it was a game on. we stayed just south running east and west with Dipsy's on 0 and three settings back 43 and 53. we ran purple harnesses and Kavorkian stingers. We also ran 240 jets back 140 and 150 with stingers as well. Some guy out there told me to run counter clockwise around the buoy. Turns out to be great advice as we boated 18 and lost another 5 bringing them in. Back at the dock by 5:30. Great day lots of fun beautiful fish sorry I missed you out there. Maybe we'll try again some day.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

Attachments

·
53 Posts
We started out for the buoy about 8 AM. My Uncle has a bad back and couldn't take the chop anymore so we stopped in the small pack about 3.8 miles south of the buoy. I wanted to go out further but then he started chumming. We almost went home at 9:30 AM but went to sleep. We caught 4 eaters and had a lot of pullbacks. Wish we would have went out the last four miles. He was so sick the we couldn't go against the waves most of the time.

·
Registered
102 Posts
We went directly to the buoy on Sunday morning. Ran the big boards on one side, dipsey's on the other. Caught two off the boards but the real action was with the dipsey's. Changed over to all dipsey's and spoons. We caught 26 eye's, kept 21. We were literally at and around the buoy. We also caught over 100 white bass and sheephead. At one point, we had 4 to 6 rods going non stop at the same time for 20 minutes. The two kids on our boat loved it. Never knew what was coming in. I was ready to shoot myself. With all that action and two boys handling the rod, we only had one tangle. In all the confusion, we mixed up the rods and crisscrossed the dipsey's. That was a mess. Could not have asked for a better day with two 9 year old boys. They were not bored and slept well on the way home.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
wiseguy.....sounds like ya kept the kids hoppin.

What ya describe is a dream fishin trip for kids. One tangle out of all that action with kids handlin the rods is darn good work.

Good luck....be safe out there.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Went to bouy today. The lake was the calmest I have ever seen it. Hotter than hell out there with no breeze. Had my sons and a buddy of theirs with me. Only caught one walleye and 5 bass but the sheep head were huge and non stop. I caught a couple that were 10pounds plus. The kids had a blast wrangling the sheep on light tackle. All in all a good day

·
Registered
38 Posts
We went directly to the buoy on Sunday morning. Ran the big boards on one side, dipsey's on the other. Caught two off the boards but the real action was with the dipsey's. Changed over to all dipsey's and spoons. We caught 26 eye's, kept 21. We were literally at and around the buoy. We also caught over 100 white bass and sheephead. At one point, we had 4 to 6 rods going non stop at the same time for 20 minutes. The two kids on our boat loved it. Never knew what was coming in. I was ready to shoot myself. With all that action and two boys handling the rod, we only had one tangle. In all the confusion, we mixed up the rods and crisscrossed the dipsey's. That was a mess. Could not have asked for a better day with two 9 year old boys. They were not bored and slept well on the way home.
Nice work.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Registered
102 Posts
Yes, I believe it is on the border. I was not the one circling it, but more than a few were north of it. I tried to stay on the sw side of the buoy. I would run east of it then troll with the waves. Once I passed the buoy on the sw side, we got the most action (within a few hundred yards). I heard guys saying they were doing well trolling into the waves, but am not into struggling and adding stress to my life. I try to avoid going into the waves at all cost.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Couldnt get anything going on the southern part of the bar today, I hate doing it but may have to make that run out to the bouy soon and get into those fish

Sent from my SPH-D600 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Bass are for guys who can't catch Walleye
1,198 Posts
Dave, No the the bouy is still in American waters, but not by much. If those guys had out boards, I would say they very likely had a lure or two in Canada, and they bust you for that.

·
Registered
108 Posts
We stayed close to the buoy when we were on the north side and my gps showed us to still be in US waters. However, my phone did receive a message out there welcoming us to Canada and promptly advising us if we made any calls that we would be charged about $1 per minute. Phone eventually went dead trying to roam all the time.

·
7th Season On Lake Erie
302 Posts
buoy question, some posted they circled the buoy counter clockwise isn't the buoy on the border meaning you were fishing in Canadian waters.
I have spent some time researching the exact position of the Weather Buoy #45005.

As we have been visited by the ODNR nice guys when fishing near the Buoy I wanted to make sure I was not fishing in Canadian waters.

My research indicates that the Buoy [41.677 N 82.398 W (41°40'36" N 82°23'54" W)] is anchored precisely on the International Border line.

That indicates to me that anyone circling the Buoy is fishing in Canada and would need a Canadian fishing licence.

·
Registered
927 Posts
I'll agree with that statement and for myself I always stay about 1/2 mile south of the buoy just to be safe if I wander off track while messing with fish. I once marked it to be 0.093 degrees North of the line as I recall on my Navionics app.

Sent from my VS840 4G using Ohub Campfire mobile app

1 - 20 of 24 Posts