Ohio Game Fishing banner

Do you favor this proposal ?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Read a little about this on Fin Feather and Fur email. They are kicking around raising the License fee a buck or two to cover a 75-150 coyote bounty.

Personally, I would favor such a move. A tank full of gas to be paid for a bounty for these critters would warm this old heart for sure. What is everyone else's 2 cents ?

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
So many people are in favor of the bounty to help other animal populations, yet they aren’t willing to go out and help the other animal populations without the bounty! So who’s really interested in population control? I trap and hunt coyotes. Never when furs aren’t prime. I wouldn’t even think of turning one in for bounty money. Imo, and this is my opinion I’m better than that. Why does everything have to revolve around money? Yes I sell the furs for money but mainly I only kill them when they are worth using. Most people hate coyotes because they might take something away from them they want yet they don’t bat an eye at taking away something from most wildlife if it doesn’t benefit them.

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
So many people are in favor of the bounty to help other animal populations, yet they aren’t willing to go out and help the other animal populations without the bounty! So who’s really interested in population control? I trap and hunt coyotes. Never when furs aren’t prime. I wouldn’t even think of turning one in for bounty money. Imo, and this is my opinion I’m better than that. Why does everything have to revolve around money? Yes I sell the furs for money but mainly I only kill them when they are worth using. Most people hate coyotes because they might take something away from them they want yet they don’t bat an eye at taking away something from most wildlife if it doesn’t benefit them.

Mike at the end of the day the predators are out of control. Coyotes racoons fox bobcats etc .. they need controlled, period. With fur prices being down people need incentives to continue to hunt them. Just like you said you only hunt them when fur prices arent prime which equals more money for you. So what exactly is your reason for hunting them?

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
I would definitely turn coyotes in for a bounty. It’s a constant battle to keep them under control on our farm. I have dedicated a lot of time and money to maximize our habitat to increase the deer, turkey, pheasant, and rabbit population as well as many non game species. When left unchecked the coyote population gets out of control. They are not a native species in Ohio, so I have no issues with removing as many as possible.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Mike at the end of the day the predators are out of control. Coyotes racoons fox bobcats etc .. they need controlled, period. With fur prices being down people need incentives to continue to hunt them. Just like you said you only hunt them when fur prices arent prime which equals more money for you. So what exactly is your reason for hunting them?
Re-read my post. I didn’t say anything about prime fur prices but prime fur (November and December). Coyote prices are a lot better than people realize. If they need controlled as bad as everyone claims, why does it take a monetary incentive to go after them? Isn’t it our responsibility as hunters and stewards of the land to take care wildlife overpopulation? I can think of better things for our tax dollars to go towards than a bounty for something that’s our responsibility to manage in the first place.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
You are right Muddy, they are not Native, but they were not brought in by The Division of Wildlife. Now some hunting groups brought some in to run with dogs if I recall correctly. I generally dislike killing something just because I don't like it and not have a use for it, but sometimes it is necessary. I am trapping and killing raccoons now.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Wouldn't waiting for prime fur be for one reason and one reason only? If you were truly out there for population control the fur wouldn't even be a thought.
I don’t like killing anything without atleast using part of the animal wether it’s meat or fur. Granted I’m not saying I haven’t or don’t. But I CAN wait till their fur is prime and get some use out of them. Im not against someone killing them anytime, it’s perfectly legal I just choose not too. If I wait to kill them in winter or do it in summer it is still a dead coyote. Only difference is I got use out of its fur in the winter. Can I ask how many yotes you have trapped/killed in the last few years? Or are you only willing to get after them if you can get a bounty? In my area they are not a problem. We keep them in check with trapping/hunting. If they are out of control in an area it’s because the local hunters/trappers aren’t doing their part. I know Muddy kills them but if he’s the only one in his area doing it then it’s definitely not going to be enough. Im sure he’s not the only hunter within 5-10 miles of his property.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
The deer population is down in my area (Morrow) and atleast in my general area there are few rabbits and even fewer pheasants. Very little weed fields for mice, rats ect… so not a whole lot of coyote food. None of the above has anything to do with the coyotes tho. Habitat loss and mis management of the deer herd on hunters part is why those populations are down so much along with a huge outbreak of EHD several years ago.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
I kill them while deer hunting when I see them.
But how many is that? If your not killing atleast 8-10 in a say 5-10 sq. mile radius your not accomplishing much. If you hate them and want them gone so bad why aren’t you hunting them specifically? We all need to do our part, bounty or not. So on a side note say they put a bounty on them. Just like the 70’s early 80’s everyone will become coyote hunters. There will actually be fewer coyotes killed. The people who know what they are doing are already out there doing it without a bounty. Add a ton of amateurs and all the sudden we have a bunch of call shy, trap shy coyotes that very few people can kill. And yes I’ve been doing this for awhile and have seen it happen every time fur prices go up. Grew up in Oklahoma where coyotes are thicker than groundhogs are here in a bean field. Except the Oklahoma deer population is doing better than anytime in history.

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
But how many is that? If your not killing atleast 8-10 in a say 5-10 sq. mile radius your not accomplishing much. If you hate them and want them gone so bad why aren’t you hunting them specifically? We all need to do our part, bounty or not. So on a side note say they put a bounty on them. Just like the 70’s early 80’s everyone will become coyote hunters. There will actually be fewer coyotes killed. The people who know what they are doing are already out there doing it without a bounty. Add a ton of amateurs and all the sudden we have a bunch of call shy, trap shy coyotes that very few people can kill. And yes I’ve been doing this for awhile and have seen it happen every time fur prices go up. Grew up in Oklahoma where coyotes are thicker than groundhogs are here in a bean field. Except the Oklahoma deer population is doing better than anytime in history.
If I had the equipment I would be out killing as many as possible. Luckily for us multiple people around us hunt and trap them yet they just keep populating like crazy

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
If I had the equipment I would be out killing as many as possible. Luckily for us multiple people around us hunt and trap them yet they just keep populating like crazy
If your a deer hunter you have 90% of everything you need. I actually use a mouth call more than anything. Not enough open space in Ohio to really warrant a high volume electronic caller. I find it best to call softly. You would be surprised how far a call can be heard from a coyote.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts