Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never been a fan of worm harnesses. So many tangles, knots,stollen bait and just a flat out pain. But...... they really seem to work when you need to cover water and they don't want cranks.
I'm going to give them another go in my mix. Bought some small gold and copper blades and beads just to make my own small versions.
After a 4 days camping at pymi in June and seeing the Yoders and Miller's tearing them up on their small,single hook homemade ones, it lit the bulb in my head. I mean I was using leeches on slip floats,leeches and crawlers on jigs,trolling hot n tots and flickers. Only catfish for me.

I want them big yoder eyes I saw!

So I I'm asking for the skinny on inline or bottom bouncers,what you prefer? I've barely any experience trolling harnesses but seems I need to add them in my arsenal.

Also picked up 2 offshore tackle mini boards and 4 medium trolling combos and 4 rod holders. I figure it's time to upgrade from just holding the rod and trolling 4 rods instead of 2 now.

Taking another 4 day trip to pymi with some friends in September and a 3 day trip to either Indian or alum creek with my pops also,I'd like to try harnesses if they are still a little deeper.

·
Registered
10,350 Posts
This probobly is not right. But in my head I use bottom bouncers for pulling harnesses at slower speeds along the bottom. An the wire helps keeps thinks off thebottom. But I have used them for suspended fish at Erie with no problems.an so have others .
If your going to learn how to effectively troll open water for suspended fish you may as well set up with inlines. Or even snap weights imo.
If u dont get the answers you want here try searching the Erie forums. It's been discussed alot. Bye some good worm fishermen.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I go by the old saying 1 oz for every 10 ft of water for bottom bouncers. Generally at pymie i use a 1.5 oz bouncer trolled at .8 to 1.5 mph. Let line out until it goes slack then close the bail for 5 seconds then open again until its slack. Close the bail and put in the holder. If im going over 1.5 ill go up to 2.5 oz and use the same method. Little tip its far cheaper to buy the stuff and make your own harnesses.

·
Registered
279 Posts
for suspended fish pick up some tadpole diving weights. Pull them behind boards then have 2 down rods out the back on the bottom bouncers. Youll still catch a ton of catfish and perch but youll get some walleye

·
Banned
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's what I was thinking. Cranks on the planes and harnesses straight off the boat.

I have some 2 oz bottom bouncers and ordered an assortment of inlines that look like fish. I mean they look like lures themselves to the point maybe I should clip on a treble on the tail split ring. I wonder how many fish have hit those style inlines?

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
Bottom bouncers, your bait is close to the weight. Good for keeping your weight and bait from snagging. When used for suspended fish they still work well. In waves the bottom bouncers imparts action to your harness. In bigger waves it can trigger bites or hinder bites depending on the fishes mood. You can add a spoon to the bottom bouncer and or a painted bouncer for added attraction.

Snap weights are easy to switch enabling you to use different weights easily. Not so snagless. When used in waves you can move the weight forward (50/50) to reduce the extra action from the waves. Sometimes it makes a difference, sometimes not.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts