Ohio Game Fishing banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
They are both good baits. Boss Shads are a recent go to bait , that people are running. The more people that run them, the more fish they catch. Muskies Inc is a plethora of information. As a member , I just compared the number of Muskies over 30" , caught and released on Boss Shads and Tuff Shads. Tuff Shads number is 11,569, Boss Shads number is 3,233. Granted, Tuff Shads have been around alot longer, and they do catch LOTS of Muskies.

·
Searchin for Skees & Eyes
1,542 Posts
Boss shads are wooden (maybe cedar?) Tuffshads are plastic injection molded, Ive caught fish on both. Boss Shads are made in Chardon, Ohio
I think the Boss shads have a little more wild wobble to them then the Tuff's
One thing I don't like about Tuffs, is there paint schemes are kind of generic but again...the fish don't mind as much as we think they mind. Tuffs seems to wear the paint off much faster because they don't have the thick e-tex coating like the boss shads. My last trolling fish at WB came on a Boss... (I haven't trolled WB in 2 years) WB is a casting lake for me....at least when the water is not near 78-80 degrees.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Boss shads are wooden (maybe cedar?) Tuffshads are plastic injection molded, Ive caught fish on both. Boss Shads are made in Chardon, Ohio
I think the Boss shads have a little more wild wobble to them then the Tuff's
One thing I don't like about Tuffs, is there paint schemes are kind of generic but again...the fish don't mind as much as we think they mind. Tuffs seems to wear the paint off much faster because they don't have the thick e-tex coating like the boss shads. My last trolling fish at WB came on a Boss... (I haven't trolled WB in 2 years) WB is a casting lake for me....at least when the water is not near 78-80 degrees.
Early Tuff Shads are WOOD, that is what most of us who have done this for awhile look for. If you like a rattle, the plastics are what you want. Plastics have their place , especially in dirty water, Tuff Shad colors cover every palette possible. I have colors that fit every situation.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Nice thing about Boss Shads is they run true at 3mph or 7 mph. Same with Bakers. I've had other big lip cranks that didn't run true above 3mph. JUNK!!!!
Almost all lures need some tweaking to run at higher speeds. I have several one Baker, several Grants and Tuff Shad’s (both wooden and plastic) and all have needed to be tuned. Nothing that I’ve come across runs straight out of the box. Some are better than others and some experimenting is required. Just like rifles and bows, you need to find their sweet spot.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts