close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Bolivar Dam Is Leaking

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Action, Jan 12, 2005.

1. I was doing some evacuating in the Dover area today about 11:30 when 5 boats rolled up. It was sheriffs and ODNR setting up for possible rescues and river monitoring. I heard one guy say that Bolivar Dam sprung a leak so I asked about it. He said that it was a clear water leak and there's nothing to be alarmed about yet. South Philly is going to get blasted so be careful if your driving around there tonight. They seemed pretty nervous for nothing to be alarmed about. Hopefully nobody will get hurt during this insanity.
    I know Salt Fork leaks sometimes when it floods too.

2. Elamenohpee

Elamenohpee Banned

Me doesn't no to much about to many things, butt I does no dat it aint never good wen a damb leeks.

Sounds like Johnstown all over again :( :(

I hope everybody fares well.

3. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

the johnstown flood movie was something, i had family that lived through it, or atleast were very close by.

4. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

Any leak in a dam isn't good. They may not be worried, :confused: but they surely seem to be ready for something?

5. Carpn

Carpn BOWFISHERMAN

Talked to my parents last night. They live off one of the roads in the Atwood backwater area. The Army Corp notified them and the other living off this dead end rd that they were going to have to close the gates all the way on Atwood and by the morning their rd. would be covered and they would be flooded in. They said they are doing this to Atwwod and a few other lakes so they can start letting water out at Bolivar. Just too much water to drop all the lakes at once.

6. catking

catking Banned

Are fairly common...on dams that are HUGE like Hoover dam ( out west) . Bolivar isn't quite as large :D , I would be a little more than just concerned. They used the word " YET " :eek: ............ THE CATKING !!!

7. crankus_maximus

crankus_maximus Crankus Baitus Maximus

That is not a good thing. I have a buddy that lives in that area. I hope everything turns out to be ok. I would not trust a leak like that.

8. I checked my dock at Atwood yesterday and the lake was way up. Now it's even higher. Not sure what this will do to my dock, but saving people is more important. Heck, I might end up with a waterfron property and be able to tie the boat to my front porch.

Right now I'm holding my breath. Take a look at my post under Atwood in the Northeast section to see the problems with getting floats under the dock.

I just have to keep it in perspective. When people's homes and lives are in danger, my dock doesn't count.

9. I've seen a gang of docks mashed up against 542 already. I live in the Atwood backwaters too and it's going to get record deep. Not far off now.

10. rockbass

rockbass Banned

All I can say is wow. On my way to the Doctor yesterday, I took Rt 416 from Gnaden to New Phila I could not believe all the water and we don't even have it bad down here yet. I hope things don't get much worse for everyones sake. Good luck to all of you who are affected by this in a major way.

11. We are in Bay-9 of Sunset Valley. Yesterday things looked okay, but the water is up over a foot since then. Our bay dock owners just chipped in and put a lot of money and work into new floats. Unfortunately, we were short of the floats we needed so a couple of us had to wait for me to pick up more. I have a long dock and got some floats under it, but really need 2 more. The dock next to me is a real problem as it has no floats at all right now.

Like I said, the home owners are more important that our docks, but I'll say a prayer that we all come out of this okay.