close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Boilies - buy or make?

Discussion in 'Carp Discussions' started by leckig, Jul 2, 2005.

1. Buy

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  2. Make

5 vote(s)
    38.5%
  3. Do not use

7 vote(s)
    53.8%
  1. They are pretty expensive, and you need plenty. But it is time consuming to make them. Buy or make? Or maybe you just use corn?
    Greg

2. TimJC

TimJC Carp Angler

I haven't used any this year, and don't plan to. I hope to get back into making them this winter, though.

3. I prefer another option...which is to beg for them :D . Honestly, though, I'm still using boilies given to me a few years ago...along with some high attract popups I bought. If you plan on baiting up a bunch with them, I'd definitely say make your own...otherwise buy a few packs of the better flavors and go with that. Overall, I rarely use them...most places corn is better for me.

4. I have not caught a carp in about 3 weeks. I'm really missing them now. Is this a bad time of year, too hot for carps or what?
    I see them everywhere at Alum and Hoover but they are not biting. Are they eating during the day at all now?
    I wanna carp!

5. I've always had trouble getting fish during midsummer...some places it really comes down to hitting the peak feeding times, which are often at night or early early morning this time of year. Some places it comes down to changing locations until you find where the fish hang out in the summer. Since you are seeing fish this doesn't sound like the problem. I know a lot of people who are successful now (and most of the year) typically prebait an area fairly heavily to bring in the fish and get them feeding.

6. RiverRat

RiverRat Banned

IF i were going to use boilies all the time i would make my own. For only using sometimes or just wanting to have some with you incase..buy them.

I prefer to NOT use them as i have yet to see them out perform "other" baits on the river.

As for the "dog days of summer" to still stay consistant, you have to know the carp and the water your fishing very well..i think this time of the year is the toughest...im lucky enough to have figured out my water pretty well.

Good luck,
    Scott

7. Scott:

Do you mean corn by "other" baits? This is really my questions, should I bother at all? The deal is I just read some statistics from Europe with like 25 biggest carps of 2004. All of them were cought on boilies. The question is if here in the USA do we need to use boilies at all?

I have noticed most waters in Columbus have a thick layer of mud on the bottom. So, I was thinking that my corn is maybe deep in the mud and they cannot see it? My idea was to you pop-up (bouyant) boilies so they can float just above the mud. Is my thinking right or there is too much european thinkering in it?

Greg

8. soua0363

soua0363 Master of Nothing

If you want good carp fishing, go to Mohawk Dam in Coschocton County. Just get on the shore and all you need to use is corn on a size 4 hook and bottom fish. They bite pretty consistant all year long even during the middle of summer. Usually you can see them swimming in bunches along the side of the concrete walls where the water flows out.

9. soua0363 - thanks!
    by the way what kid of line do you guys use? it really matters in europe, does it matter much in here?
    greg

10. RiverRat

RiverRat Banned

Greg,
    First off take everything you know about carp fishing accrossed the pond and throw it out the window.

Thier carp are trained to eat boilies..they will dump about 30 lbs. of thier flavored boiles in a lake to get the carp to feed on it..then come back and fish over top on the beds of boiles. You could do that here, but theres no reason too.

I have personally caught 3 carp over 30 lbs. and all have been caught on either plain or flavored sweetcorn. I do like to flavor chick peas too and have caught loads of carp to mid 20's on them . BUT i also always fish the "method" and all my big fish have come from this combo.
    These fish here are simple and just like to eat....i chum a lot, but not as much as some of the guys on the board, i feel too much chum gets them eating it.not your hook baits.
    I like to chum a spot heavy for a few days, then come in to fish it and chum lightly..that way they will find my baits faster instead of searching around for free baits. My whole idea of chuming a river is to draw fish from down stream into my swim and hold them there for a few days...i chum enough to get them feeding with out filling them up. I also prefer to fish areas that no other carpers are fishing..i dont like to fish the "popular" spots, i put the work in myself..and reap the rewards..like i have been.

I like to read about the carping over-seas myself and read the techniques and about the equipment, but i apply that knowlege to fit my sytle and waters..thats all.

There are waters in the USA that are heavily fished by carpers and some are turning into boilie waters...but NONE of them are in Ohio and are fish have to be trained to take boilies...ive caught on them here, but i know better baits and i use them.

Maybe you should ask the CAG members how many of the big fish caught during the carp events have been caught on boilies? How many of them catch big carp on boilies on thier home waters? I know ive caught a dozen or more carp over 20 lbs. already this year...none on boilies. If boilies were a great bait, i'd be using them....i'd fish next to anyone who uses boiles on a wild water thats never seen a carp angler before and i'd bet my carp gear i'd out catch them....its happened too many times already!

On lakes it might be different, even though ive done way better than most at the CAG events in my time and these have been lakes....but i prefer to stick to what i know and love...RIVERS for me!!

Scott

11. RiverRat

RiverRat Banned

Also, i do sometimes "pop-up" my baits to get them out of the silt IF the whole area is heavily silted..but i try to find some type of hard bottom(sand, rock, gravel, ect). Getting your baits off bottom can be a big difference in your catch rates.

As far as line, i mostly run 12 lbs. test copolymer lines, i dont like the super braids and regular mono lines tend to be stiff and coil too easily. I only have a few places that i need to go heavier than 12lb test...but i still dont go over 17 lb. test in those places.

I also ALWAYS use a heavy braided leader(hooklink) , i think im using 80 lb test Stren superbraid...its the ONLY use ive found for super lines. I also us a heavy duty hook and i use only one pattern of hook... Ashima RD2 is my choice. Ive tried many others, but i have broke many of these other patterns and when fishing for big river carp, your hook has to be strong, sharp and the RD2 #4 is the best pattern ive found, too bad they dont make them anymore..lol luckly i bought 300 of them . There are a few company that make this pattern of hook, ive tried them and like them, but there still not as heavy duty as my Ashima's. I stay away from Eagle Claws baitholder(junk)..even the Gamakatsu baitholder breaks easily, i dont like long shank hooks...i find a more compact hook works much better, holds better and gives hard fighting carp no chance at tossing it or breaking it.

Scott

12. Scott, thanks for this answer. I feel I need to email you right away :)
    Greg

13. I make em.... I like the control I have and I like trying diff flavors too

Good info Scott...

14. RiverRat

RiverRat Banned

I went the boile route last year and i purchased around $200 from the Boilie Shop http://www.boilieshopusa.com/index.html
    I caught on every flavor i bought and i'd say they are the best made boilies in the USA......but again ive caught WAY better on other baits.

If i was going to be a boilie chucker, i'd buy mine from the Boilie Shop or a very well known UK based company...but again the cost would be a factor, plus ive heard horror stories of guys baits getting taken by the US Customs and destoyed because of ingredents like fish meals, ect.

Im not totally against boilies, but like ive said i have yet to see boilies out fish my baits in any event or while fishing on home waters. If your looking at catching BIG carp and finding a magic bait to do it with...GOOD LUCK, if you browse the Ohio forum and look at big carp...you wont find many at al that have caught BIG carp...big to most is anything over 20 lbs. big to me is over 30 lbs. and not many can brag on those.

Scott

15. RiverRat

RiverRat Banned

Guys, thanks....please dont think im putting anyone down that uses boiles or feels that they are the best..im just going by my experiences and what i know.....rrbski or Buckeye Bob makes probably the best boiles in the USA and he can sure prove they catch loads of carp....but again ive seen baits out produce them in size and quantity.
    Im just a river angler that loves to catch lots of big fish....i used my baits last night to catch 16 carp up to 23 lbs....not a bad night on the river for me...but an AWSOME dream for some.

Scott

16. you are right - a dream for some!
    :)
    great info!
    gl

17. RiverRat

RiverRat Banned

Clyde,
    I like the same thing with my baits...i control the amont of flavors and which flavors i use. I have over 50 flavors on my shelf and have put together a great pattern on my water and different locations they like different flavors. It also changes from cold water to warm water..but i got that figured out too.
    Half the fun of this fishing is figuring out what baits they really hit on...being it your own put together bait and flavor. Some dont have much luch with thier catch rates because i think they expect to drive up to a spot, cast out a "known" carp catching bait or flavor and start catching...lol...not going to happen often. Its almost like bass fishing where ya catch tons on one bait, but the next day nothing....i always carry atleast a dozen flavors that i know from personal experience that catch catch in THAT swim....i will change baits around to i find the ones there on that day..if the bite slows i change baits til i find the "hot" flavor again.
    Now i could post on here everything i use, what flavors work best and where...but thats too easy. I could take a carper from this board to my spots, give him the baits that work and watch him catch til he cant lift his arms no more...but what does that do for that angler??
    All you need is time and a good game plan on your water....but that comes with TIME spent on your water.

Good luck guys,

Scott

18. crappielooker

crappielooker The Corn Chucker

have fun is where its all at for me..
    as far as boilies goes, i know i have been trying to use it every now and then.. when i want to catch a catfish, that is.. :D

19. RiverRat

RiverRat Banned

Thats right AK....Alum creek..... 16mm Tutti Frutti flavored boilies, channel catfish killer..lol..geez! Then again they took to almost ALL my flavors there..lol.

Scott

20. soua0363

soua0363 Master of Nothing

Leckig, I use Berkley 15# Big Game and it has never failed me from bass to muskie. Its my favorite line. I can pull in water soaked logs and it can even bend the hook straight without breaking the line.