close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Boiles - pop ups or not ?

Discussion in 'Carp Discussions' started by atrkyhntr, May 20, 2005.

1. Jump in gang and let me know which you prefer and why...
    What would be the diff reasons for using both?

I have been making my own with diff flavors and can't wait to give them a shot... I just don't know which to make more of...I made a bag full of base mix and make smaller batches from that...
    THANKS in advance

2. One of each :D . Buckeye Bob taught me about the snowman rig, which incorporates one regular boilie and one popup, both fished on a hair. This is a neutrally balanced bait, which will stand up just above the hook off the bottom and looks like a snowman. I fished this for my first year of boilie fishing. This year I've been tinkering with just using a single popup, particularly in areas with a lot of larger rocks or excessive debris. I just pop it a few inches off bottom in order to allow my bait to stand out and not get buried under the debris or rocks. So far it's been successful on the Scioto in front of COSI. I don't fish boilies much, though, unless nothing else is working or I want to make a cast as far out as I can (this way I'll be certain the bait stays on the hair). Still haven't made any boilies...but if you've got the time make extra of the regular ones so you can chum a few out.

3. I will try that snowman today when I head to West Branch...
    I make enough to fish with but not to chum with that would take too much time...
    I have had my best luck using them at night... During the day good old sweetcorn catches 90% of my fish...

4. steelhead1

steelhead1 Pikie Bay

Like you Clyde, good ol corn works best for me. I have been having a fair amout of luck with mainlines Fruit burst Boilie this year though.

5. I have been known to Dr up the corn with
    some vannila extract and corn syrup ;)

6. steelhead1

steelhead1 Pikie Bay

Kool aid has been a stand by for me for years...Vanilla as well :)

I am fairly new to the bolie thing and this is the first season I have been catching decent fish with them. I used pop ups at Nimisila last weekend figuring with the softer bottom they would be better, did real well with them.

Corn on one rod and a pop up on the other, the bites were running 50/50 Carp wise. 3 Channels came on the bolies though.

7. tpet96

tpet96 Banned

Like CW said....neutral bouyant baits give the carp some "feature" to look at, rather than seeing the same picture over and over again. Carp are curious creatures....and will take a look at anything that could possibly resemble a food source first rather than scavange around. It also does keep your baits out of debris, rocks, etc. on the bottom. I've personally popped one up about 6" off the bottom to keep out of rocks, crayfish, etc...and have had really good luck up there. They can also be used on a zig-rig (which you can find info on the net on that one), to suspend them say up 7' in 16' of water or wherever the fish are suspending. Carp aren't always on the bottom ;)