close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Bobber purpose ?

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Agent47, Jun 25, 2007.

1. Agent47

Agent47 Trying to pull it in!!!!

:F Before I learned how to adapt to artificial baits as a youngster I always was a bobber and hook guy. Things changed over the years and now I only use a bobber when I want dinner for panfish or am relaxing with my dad and a Shiner.
    A discussion came up at Mogadore a few weeks ago about bobbers and purpose which interested me.
    I always used the old round one until a few years back where I went to torpedo for throw purpose and distance.
    My question is : Is there really purpose with Bobbers or are they a strike signal mechanism only ?
    :F :G ??

2. I use the different shaped bobbers for different purposes. I use balsa slim shaped bobbers for lighter biting crappie. Bigger cigar shaped floats for floating shiners or small bluegill for bass and cats. I occassionally use a mid sized slip bobber for vertically jigging small jigs and twister tails over bottom structure. Short twitches do not move the bobber very far but give the jig decent vertical movement. Prolongs the presentation of the bait in the desired area.

Occassionally use a bobber as a casting bubble with a fly 3-5 feet behind it. Still water just begs to be invaded with this rig.

Huntinbull

3. The other main purpose of a float is depth control. The two most important things in the catching of fish : Depth & Speed. If the fish are suspended @ 12 ' and you have the best lure or best live bait ever running at 16' chances are slim you will hook anything.

Ask any of the guys that use slip bobbers how that one tool has added to their fishing education. Plus its just flat out fun to watch that bobber plunge under.

4. What is a slip bobber and how do I use one? Meaning set up? I mark fish all the time at 9-12 feet, would this be a way to get to them? Thanks....! And by the way it sure is exciting to see your bobber dive under!

5. Slip bobber has a tube for a center pole. You put a bobber stop on your line then a bead, then a slip bobber, then a bead then your terminal tackle (hook, sinker, whatever). You can slide the bobber stop up and down your line to the desired depth. When you reel in the bobber slips (eureka!) down to the terminal tackle and your line (including the stop) can be reeled in til the hanging end is short for easy casting etc. When your terminal tackle sinks it pulls the line through the tube of the bobber until it (the bobber) reaches the stop. Easy way to cast and handle a line yet still reach 5-?? feet of depth.

Huntinbull

6. Agent47

Well Tim, your not alone. Now I feel like a idiot, i have never used slip bobber with any artificial bate, just tied it on and relaxed a bit on reeling when I felt the bait {whatever it might be} needed to take a dive in depth.
    In all honesty I am glad for this forum as I am learning more and more.

7. Folks who fish steelhead use them for finding bottom of any river, creek, stream etc....as that is where most of the trout are holding....not all of them, but most.....

steely123

8. Ruminator

Ruminator TeamOGF

Great descriptions.
    Otherwise you are left with trying to cast a line with a regular bobber set at 7 ft. or whatever, and good luck with that, eh! :eek: :D

I learned fishing with Big Daddy one time several years ago now, that a slip bobber, bare hook, and enough split shot to leave it barely bouyant is a great way to take crappie!
    Of course you can change up with a small jig in place of the hook and split shot too. ;)
    I now keep at least one panfish rod rigged this way all the time.

9. A slip bobber setup is basically on where you have usually a longer bobble similar to this one.
    [​IMG]
    These slip bobbers allow you to thread you rline through the center and it will slide up and down. Up above that on the line you will have a stop of some sore. They make them in several styles ringing from a string to small plastic tabs to wrap you line on. The purpose of the stop is to prevent the line from going any further down through the float as the weight of the bait,lure,splitshot, etc. settle toward the bottom. With a rig like this you can reel pretty much everything up onto you rod/reel allowing you to cast easier. To adjust the depth you want to target you simply slide the stop up or down. If you look in any tackle shop you will see the floats and the stops and the stops should have a small diagram of how to rig them as well. I hope that makes sense.

10. a couple other considerations:

round bobbers give you little feedback. A longer bobber can tell you if your jig/bait/lure is set too low, as it will lie flat on the water, or tip over. If river fishing, it is easier to tell if you are set too deep, or too shallow, as your lure should be bumping bottom every now and then. Also, if fish are striking lightly, as steelhead sometimes do, when they pick it up, the bobber may tip, as some of the weight is taken off of by the fish.

Some of the bobbers shaped very thin at the top and have a larger oval shape at the bottom are good (when properly weighted) when fishing in the wind or in rough water, as they can provide a more natural presentation. When fishing a river, if the wind is pushing the bobber downstream faster than the current, it appears unnatural, and fish are reluctant to bite and with less surface area above the water, it will be less affected by the wind.

11. The other guys have covered it pretty well. I will add use a slip bobber that is just big enough to float the bait you are using. The less resistance the fish feels the more natural the presentation.

As a side note back in the seventies I had to prove that a slip bobber was an effective way to catch walleye in the western basin of Erie. Back in those days everyone was chucking Erie Dearies and Hildebrandt Nuggets. When the Lake fell flat due to lack of wind these drift baits were limited in their appeal.
    Using a slip bobber with a leech , crawler or oversized lake shiner was the way to go . I would look at the depth of the fish on the locator and try and set the bobber 1-2 ' above the fish. I made believers out of all my fishing partners back then.

12. I appreciate this discussion. This is a topic I also have wondered about. I read about using slip bobbers, but didn't really know how to rig or why. Thanks.

13. I went for years just using the fixed bobber type and about the best you can do with those is 3 or perhaps 4 feet and casting is difficult at that depth. I didn't know what I was missing. I use them very often. About the only time I use the old fixed style now is if I am targeting gills and they are in the real shallow water. Those type are still handy to be able to clip on in quickly to change tactics.

14. Bobbers can also serve as festive decorations for brush piles and low hanging tree limbs. Or you might get lucky and have them break free and drift into a handy "bobber collection area" for later retrieval. The worst is when they drift toward the main lake... that usually means it's time to pull up anchor and go fetch :( ;).

Can you tell I've spent too many hours crappie fishing? :)

15. Now I KNOW you haven't fished with me. How did you know? I catch the legendary "Tree Bass" about every other time I go fishing.

:p :D

16. chaunc

chaunc Staff Member

If i'm jig fishing over a brushpile that has a single limb that keeps eating jigs, i'll put a jig on a slip bobber and set it to float my jig just a little above the branch. If you use 2 knots on your line, one above the bobber and one above your jig or splitshot, you wont lose your bobber when you snag. The bottom knot will keep it from coming off. Be sure to put a bead above the bottom knot. Another thing no body mentioned here was line size. I like 8lb test when slider fishing. I get a few hooks to straiten out with this size line.

17. I can't thank you all enough for this info. I feel like it's opened up a new chapter in fishing that I never new about. If I only new this before. Thanks again guys.

Tim

18. Another trick or technique , tie 2' long snells with 4# test line to a ball bearing swivel beneath the bobber. Use any line you want above the swivel that has a greater # test than the 4 # at the terminal end.

My normal rig goes like this #8 mono or braid aas my main line the bobber stop goes on first , then the bead , next the bobber is threaded on and then the swivel. At the end of the 2' leader I tie a quick clip , then I can change back and forth between jigheads or plain hook. rarely do I lose a bobber as the swivel prevents the bobber from coming off. The more aggresive the fish the further away my split shot is sometimes above the swivel. This works when they want a lot of movement .

Another tidbit before sliding bobbers were popular I used to make my own by taking the middle out of Carlisle stick bobbers and gluing a tube inside the body. Used rubber bands for stops or the old nylon casting line. Back in the seventies guys would watch us hammering slab crappies with these. They would anchor close to us and promptly tie on fixed bobbers at 3-4 ft depth and sit there and watch us fish @ 12' deep. Some of them used to say Man you guys sure got the spot. Actually we were in the middle of a huge stump field and thier position was just as good as ours. The only difference was the depth we were in the middle of the fish. They were 8' above them.

19. I took a blind friend out for smallmouth bass 0f Ruggles in 18 FOW. Used a slip bobber and a jig with a shiner on his rod. I could fish while watching his bobber and advise him when to set the hook. Worked great.:)

20. Agent47

Well, this should make for an interesting day at Mogadore this wknd. Never used em but I printed this topic and much thanks to everyone.
    Looks like im off to buy some slips... better make sure dad has his hard hat on when go out however. lol
    Thanks all:G :)