boatUS

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ezbite, Feb 13, 2009.

1. ezbite

ezbite the Susan Lucci of OGF

anyone see if they are going to offer the 29 dollar coverage they did last year? i didnt make it to the boatshow this year, so i wasnt able to sign up for it.

2. Gju42486

Gju42486 Banned

yep, as far as i heard that $29 is "their new rate". Dont quote me on that, but thats what i heard through the grapevines

3. KaGee

KaGee Monkeywrench Staff Member

Just got my statement...
    $19 dues
    $34 towing
    Trailering Club went up to $14

4. waterwalker

waterwalker #@%&!! BROWNS

Just did the online "special" same as KaGee. 53 bucks

5. Does anyone have any experience using the "Trailer Assist" package when broke down on the road? I'm planning a trip to the Keys this summer and will probably get the unlimited package with the trailer package.

6. Kagee is right on the money. I spent $67 and got the membership, unlimited towing, and trailer package.

7. KaGee

The trailer coverage is just that... won't cover your car. AAA won't cover your trailer either. I had to use it the first year I had it. Had a tire blow out. Made the call. Sent out a truck, all was well. Well worth the $14 IMO.

8. eyesman_01

eyesman_01 getting wEYESer every day

$53 here also. I didn't get the trailer package this year. I'll change the tire myself.

9. KaGee

Keep in mind that it covers more than flat repair. If your vehicle breaks down or in an accident, they'll tow your boat.

10. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Make sure that the unlimited towing covers the Keys. I thought that the unlimited special was for inland and great lakes but could be wrong.

Scott

11. I'm looking at the saltwater package which covers both fresh and saltwater from 25-50 miles. The TowBoatUS service in Marathon covers a 25 mile radius which will be farther than I'll be going offshore anyway.

As far as I can tell about the trailer assist package it will cover both the trailer and the tow vehicle as long as they are together. It looks like a pretty good deal as long as they eventually show up when you need them.

12. Fishers of Men

Fishers of Men Senior Member

So the deal is, don't break down and lose anchor because the gulf stream will take you NE towards Ireland out of your 25-50 range in a hurry.

You have plenty of time tho, the stream swings in at w palm 1-1/2 mi off shore then starts out NE from there, 6-8 mi off Stuart, 19 mi off Ft Pierce then starts going way out. If they cant find you by then...lets see, about 150 mi later, then somethings wrong. LOL But my question is:
    I guess the saltwater package would work within their 25 mi radius of a boatus port, or is it from your home port?

13. KaGee

I don't think you'll have a problem if you need them... they been doing this too long.

14. Fishers of Men

Fishers of Men Senior Member

I can tell you one thing for sure, if you are out of the area and or cannot get thru to them, you will not get re-imbursed with out there prior approval. Been thru that with them.
    Even got the approval because they had no boats in the area, you have to pay the other towing company up front then get Boatus to re-imburse you. They wont recognize the other company and just pay them direct. I even argued that I had the approval, took 5 months later after they checked the phone records and decided to refund only 1/3 of the cost. Argued some more and they finally sent another check for the balance.
    It was an after midnight charge also...740 some $.

15. Stumbled onto this post while searching for info. What exactly is the 29 dollar coverage?? I just got an "online" quote for insurance on a 97 17' alum. boat with a 50 horse on it and it came back $306/yr.!! Not sure how this really works? What is the "membership" about? Surely they are not insuring your boat with towing coverage for $29!?

16. It's towing/breakdown insurance not "boat accident liability " insurance

17. SC-So you can insure your boat with someone else and get this coverage separately from BoatUS??

18. KaGee

Yes... BoatUS Towing insurance is like the AAA, but on the water. They offer boat insurance separately.

If you have this coverage, there is no out of pocket expense for towing. Your boat policy may have towing coverage, but 99% of the time you have to pay the towing company first.