Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
wolfenstein
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to Milton this morning, a plane kept practicing touch and go but still running a good ways of east bank north end of lake. Just wondering if there are any special regulations dealing with a plane or are they considered a watercraft at that point? I was afraid to motor across the lake or be anywhere near middle. Don't remember this coming up in watercraft class in the 90s...

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Don’t really know but would be interesting to find out. Similar situation used to occur at Long Lake in the Portage Lakes. The older Vandevere (from the car dealership) had a house on the lake and would have a plane parked/docked there and would take off from and land on the lake. Assume boats would have the right of way but have no idea.

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
14 CFR PART 91, SECTION 91.115
RIGHT-OF-WAY RULES:WATER
OPERATIONS
The right-of-way rules for operation on water are
similar, but not identical, to the rules governing rightof-
way between aircraft in flight.
(a) General. Each person operating an aircraft on the
water shall, insofar as possible, keep clear of all
vessels and avoid impeding their navigation, and
shall give way to any vessel or other aircraft that
is given the right-of-way by any rule of this
section.
(b) Crossing. When aircraft, or an aircraft and a vessel,
are on crossing courses, the aircraft or vessel
to the other’s right has the right-of-way.
(c) Approaching head-on. When aircraft, or an aircraft
and a vessel, are approaching head-on, or
nearly so, each shall alter its course to the right to
keep well clear.
(d) Overtaking. Each aircraft or vessel that is being
overtaken has the right-of-way, and the one overtaking
shall alter course to keep well clear.
(e) Special circumstances. When aircraft, or an aircraft
and a vessel, approach so as to involve risk
of collision, each aircraft or vessel shall proceed
with careful regard to existing circumstances,
including the limitations of the respective craft.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
He was down on the south end by Point View as well. If you ask me the guy in the plane is a jerk. Not for landing and taking off, but for doing it in such close proximity to boats that were on the water at the time.

Attachments

·
wolfenstein
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I just figured give them their space. Probably not often they get to do this. I was wondering how much a big wake from boat would mess with them. Just wanted to be sure I wasn't violating some unknown law by running out there certain day, time, area...

·
Registered
924 Posts
Don’t really know but would be interesting to find out. Similar situation used to occur at Long Lake in the Portage Lakes. The older Vandevere (from the car dealership) had a house on the lake and would have a plane parked/docked there and would take off from and land on the lake. Assume boats would have the right of way but have no idea.
Ha old man vandavere pushed me off long few times. Did think it was cool to see but he definitely was not considering others on that small body of water.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts