Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys,I've been wanting to fish the Ohio but I feel my boat ,at only 11', is a tad small to be safe. I have a buddy who has a 21' lund w/ a 225 on the back who I can't convince to take it down there as he's sure he's gonna lose his lower end to "something" underwater. He tells me of a friend of his who lost his lower unit below meldahl on a piece of rebar(how's he know that unless he was underwater to see it???). Is the river that shallow that ya have to worry about hittin bottom? thnks,TC1

·
Registered
447 Posts
In my opinion 11 foot is too small for the main river. Might be perfect for some of the tribs and backwaters though. I run a deep V with a 150 on the back. If you stay in the main channel you should have nothing to worry about unless the river is up and full of debris (in which case you probably shouldn't be out anyways). Pay attention to river markers and don't run fast near shore. Otherwise, enjoy the river!!!

·
Pushin' Tin
4,518 Posts
does anyone ever notice how many kayaks and canoes are on the river most of the summer?!?! as long as your not out under flood conditions, you won't have any trouble in that boat. and tell your buddy he doesn't have to go 75 mph. everytime he takes his boat out. and if he pays attention to his surroundings he shouldn't have to worry about hitting something so much.

·
Equal opportunity fishing
4,287 Posts
I've a 16 ft Fisher with a 60 hp and I don't see where there could be a problem, as long as there is no high water. I've went thru a few riffles that had me bit concerned, but still no problems. I've a good friend who takes his 14 ft, 5 hp down to the big river regularly...no problem! I'm waiting on word on how clear the ramp is of mud so I can start making trips!!

·
Displaced Person
250 Posts
Like others have said, stay in the middle of the channel and watch for debris while on plane, and you'll be fine. But as someone who has murdered a prop on the Ohio, let me just say that outside of the main channel depth can change in a heartbeat, especially anywhere near creek mouths. I "found" a spot where it went immediately from 18' to 1'. Trim her up and take it slow when you're not sure.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts