close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Boating Safety Course

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Reel Lady, Mar 29, 2005.

1. Reel Lady

Reel Lady Dreams DO come true!

I was just wondering how many of you have taken this course? Also, I have read that it can save you money on your boat insurance if you show proof that you took and passed the test to your insurance agent? Is this true?

2. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

My insurance agent didn't seem too interested when I told her I took the course. Full coverage for the boat is pretty cheap. Might only save $10 bucks or so.

3. bmffishing247

bmffishing247 Fishing Is Life!

I took the home course while i was in college so i didn't have to go anywhere they just sent you the packet and you filled it out and then sent you the card saying that you pass the test. i also told my insurence people and they really didn't seem to care. it is nice to have though just in case. i would recommend taking the home course. really easy and would probaly only take you maybe 2 or 3 days tops to complete and read all of the matterial.

4. Stretch

Stretch Wishin I was fishin

I took this class a few years back. I would diffently recommend it, alot of very good information. My insurance company also did not seem to interested in the fact I had taken it, but I would still recommend it.

5. I took the course too through the Coast Guard Auilary about 3 years back as a way to kill time over the winter while boat shopping. Actually, I'm glad I took it as it gave me alot of insight into what I needed to know/do as a new boat owner. My insurance company, Progressive, doesn't seem to care about the course. My annual premimum is only like $260.00 (agreed value) with my multi-policy discount and unlimited roadside service. One thing I'd say to keep in mind, not knowing the ages of your children, is that a couse may be required to operate a boat/PWC over 10 HP if you are under some age. At least that's how it is over here in PA. Can't remember the specific age though since it wasn't ever an issue for me. I'd assume Ohio has a similar law, but then again we have stricter laws than Ohio does.

Barry

6. cw261

cw261 Member

It's required in Ohio for those born on or after January 1982. I went with my son, and felt it was well worth the time and nominal fee. I did get a discount through State Farm - some where between $30 and $50 per year. Here is a link to the law and course sites:

http://www.ohiodnr.com/watercraft/ed/edreq.htm

7. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

I also recommend the course. If it taught me anything it taught me who has the right-of-way when two boats are coming at each other on a perpendicular, how to pass/overtake another boat and a few other laws I wished many times the other boaters knew.

8. KSUFLASH

KSUFLASH respect our rivers please

I see the Power Squadron puts them on every once in a while. I have been wanting to go, but I never seem to find out about the class in time. You know of one Reel Lady?

Thanks,

flash---------------------------------out

9. Reel Lady

Reel Lady Dreams DO come true!

Hey Ben,
    I actually saw one listed in Kent, just cant remember the date. But, here is a link to all of the courses for all of Ohio.
    Boating Safety Course Schedule

10. i took the course a few years back and my insurance company knocked off 15% paid for its self the first year..i think it should be a law that everyone should have to take it if your going to opperate a boat in ohio but thats just still a dream

11. Mr.Bass.

Mr.Bass. Banned

I also took the test 3 years ago. The only reason I took it was to pass the time in the winter and because I had to because I was not old enough to operate a boat by myself. I do think it is a must for first timers as well as the experienced. It helps the insurance a little but not a decrease that is unbelievable. So yes I think it is well worth it to take this coarse. I took it at the Cuyahoga Falls High school with the Coast Gaurd.

12. DavidWS10

DavidWS10 Bankless Boat Trash

My wife and I both completed the course a little over a year ago. It is well worth the time invested. I don't know what it did for my insurance, though. I didn't get insurance for the boat until after we took the class.