close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

boating requirements.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ezbite, Oct 28, 2007.

1. yes, it would insure you had some training.

15 vote(s)
    21.4%
  2. no, its just more money for the state.

28 vote(s)
    40.0%
  3. maybe, depends on the requirements

27 vote(s)
    38.6%
  1. ezbite

ezbite the Susan Lucci of OGF

i was reading the new issue of TRAILER BOATS today and they had a commentary on a boating license. seems that most boaters would support some type of education requirement for ALL boaters. some support a license system, some dont. i was just wondering what everyone thought about this.

after really thinking about it, i would be for some sort of license for all boaters. if your new to boating you must go to class, take and must pass a test. those who can show a current registration, will be allowed to just take the test. which you must pass to get your license. if you cant pass, off to class you go. at least this way if your operating a boat, you have been educated on the laws.

now dont get me wrong, i am in no way for more restrictions, but with all the idiots i have seen these last few years, i think something could done. and yes, ALL watercraft would fall into this system. what do you think?

2. athensfishin'

athensfishin' Fighting the Man

hmm seems like a bit more un-needed bureaucracy. A lot of cost and time spent and still won't solve the problem. Look at cars if you need an example, we test everyone with a license yet everyday I still see the masses of morons driving around oblivious to laws or those around them. The problem lies mostly with common sense and curtsy both of which you cannot teach. If we require a test those that are the current problem will do enough to pass get the license and forget or continue their old ways. So all in all the only thing that will be effected is the time wasted by those that already do these things correctly. I am in favor of classes for people under 21 or so which they already do to some extent not sure of the age but if you are young you have to take a test, to ensure that younger people will be able to learn the basics. Statistically your only going to gain anything from that age group because the younger people make mistakes because lack of experience and knowledge, the old troublesome boaters do it out of stupidity(there is no class for that). Perhaps I am wrong but I don't think it will solve the problem you are looking to address.

The biggest educator for rude and dangerous boaters is a pissed off fisherman waiting at their truck with a tire iron... much more effective than a class

3. Ah the ole tire iron. I always prefer a big pile of decent sized rocks, or a huge slip bobber on a big baitcaster.

4. KaGee

KaGee Monkeywrench Staff Member

I voted no for two points.

Licensing won't make much of a difference. Just look at driving statistics. In the end, the ODNR would turn into the OBMV and any monies collected would only serve to feed the bloated bureaucracy.

If someone is an idiot and you license him, you just end up with a licensed idiot.

5. a piece of paper won;t make some any worse/better/ some human kindness from everybody might help some . seems it got lost as time goes by .

6. Im sure that if someone had to actualy learn the rules of the waterways and take a test showing that, would certainly help eliminate at least a few idiots. Im talking about a very detailed test, as it would at least open many "idiots" eyes to the vast number of rules that are needed to keep everyone safe. Im sure if it saved ahandful of lives over the year, it would be worth it.
    I do agree with the adage about licensed auto drivers still being idiots but at least at one time the basics of the rules had to be learned vs just giving someone a set of keys and hitting the road. And if anyone has ever boated at the West Carrolton Pool ( Great Miami River) on a summer weekend, you would change your mind about there needing to be some license/test for boaters I can not believe no one has been killed there in the past few years and Im sure this location is not alone.
    Nuff said....;)

Salmonid

7. Fishers of Men

Fishers of Men Senior Member

We just need more people reporting the idiots, that dont follow the existing COLREGS. I dont like the beauracracy crap either like Keith said.

8. Toxic

Toxic Defensor Fortis

Let me see, I never boated before in my life and all the sudden I have a midlife crisis and I want to buy a boat. So I go to the local boat store and buy a big you name it with a 200hp motor capable of running 60+mph and I set sail for the first time. I have no clue what I am doing I just drive because I was never taught any better. Now I am out there with all you other guys who have your family on your boats. Sound familiar.

Yes we will have idiots no matter what we do. But I would rather take my chance and have a new boater go to a class regardless of age. In reference to cars, look at the number of accidents we had before license's. Look at Hunters Education. The accident numbers went way down. You cannot help everyone. But I am in favor of Boater Education, even if it would prevent an accident or just to save peoples live.

9. crooked stripe

crooked stripe fishn and flyn

I have taken and passed the boater ed coarse. I learned a lot of things that I never even gave a though to. Some of the info must be learned by all but that won't help the law breakers. I am with Fishers of Men about reporting the trouble makers. The trouble with that is there is never an officer around when you encounter the problems and when you find one it is to late.
    The place you run into most of the problems is on lakes with powered craft. I don't think a license would be fair to a mom and pop with a couple of kids renting a row boat or a lake that is electric only. A license would just stop a lot of folks from fishing at all do to the cost and time it would take for the course. I have to think there is a lot more people who fish or boat out of hand propelled or an electric powered water craft. I say no to the license.

10. I find it difficult to subscribe to some of the previous comments base on making little difference and increased bureaucracy. Negative attitudes will never provide solutions to or aid in solving apparent problems.
    Perhaps make the test voluntary with a sticker like the safety inspection sticker for display. If during a normal safety inspection a violation was found and a warning or citation issued, it would then be mandatory the boat owner take the test (written only) and show a passing grade (certificate) prior to having their OH Numbers remove from a reference list and no re-issue of numbers without the certificate. the same would apply for unsafe operation violations. As all officers have access to a computer their would not be a large burden placed on anyone. A simple computer link watercraft bureau is all it would take.
    I'm sure something fashioned like the above suggestions would result in: 1) operators being concerned about loss of registration and find time to take the test, and 2) prevent some accidents and/or loss of life.
    I would not object if an increased cost in registration would be required to cover additional cost.

11. Ohio already has a law that requires anyone operating a boat of more then 10hp and was born after January 1, 1982 to complete and pass an approved boating education course. Granted that gives a lot of leeway to those born before then. I'm against mandatory licensing, but I do lean heavily towards mandatory education. For now, I just try really hard to convince new boaters (and even some old ones) to take a Power Squadron or Coast Guard Auxillary "safe boating class". Your never too old to learn a few new tricks!

12. cw261

cw261 Member

I would have to agree with Toxic - it is hard to believe that you can go out and buy a boat and just start running around a lake without a clue as to what any of the regulations are, and it seems to happen often.

When a friend of mine got a boat back in the late 80's we both took a safe boating course and a navigation course - a lot of people won't unless they are forced to.

13. ok you educate them on boating,who is going to put the brain cells in that will make them do as they where taught.
    or the comon sense they seem to be short of.

14. Toxic

Toxic Defensor Fortis

It's simply called pass or fail.

15. Fishers of Men

Fishers of Men Senior Member

Boy, down in south fla, you see the rich guy buy the "big" boat, head to sea, break apart in the inlet and such all the time. No experience what so ever. Most of them dont even slow down in the intercoastal for a fisherman, there idea is that the small guy has no place there. I am not targeting all of them, there are some respectible ones. I watched 2 guys with a brand new boat, truck and the works, back into the water about a dozen times and couldn't figure out why the boat wouldnt come off the trailer. These are the guys, not so much fishermen who have grown up with some experience. But ya, boater safety courses are good because many just dont know the rules of the road. I think the courses should cover a lot of "elements" and more examples than they do tho.

16. I agree with both of you, however if a class would keep just one from being a idiot it would be worth it. I took the class just because I wanted my oldest daughter to go so I took the time and went also and it was good, thought I kinda knew it all but got to pick up on some simple basic inside knowledge that has been usefull, worth the time and money spent. What we need here to help the daily infractions on the water and safety concerns seen is more patrols on the water which is something discused in fine detail here before! Time and time again I see the patrol boat but they dont do anything to the kids on jet skies running WOT in no wake areas and running across my wake within 20' behind my boat, just a example with the jet skies I see bass boats running within 10 feet of shoreline at WOT also. OK gotta quit now,,,,Todd

17. Fish2day

Fish2day member

I went to a Power Squadron course in 1974 when I lived in Fla. Ended up moving back here before I bought the boat I was eying. Figured I could remember well enough when I finally did buy a boat in 02, but took a boater safety course anyway. I was glad I did. 2 weeks ago on a whim, I took the test again online. I have to recommend that anyone who hasn't taken it in several years try it again. I only got a 81%. While that's good enough for a passing grade, is it really good enough? ......... maybe a license isn't such a bad idea

18. ezbite

ezbite the Susan Lucci of OGF

do you have a link to the online test?

19. I took the online test a few years back....I barely passed myself. However, I do know that most (not all) of my incorrect answers were due to terminology or questions about things I don't come across on inland waterways. All in all the test I thought was decent.

I would agree that there should be some kind of mandatory education and possibly a license but it WILL NOT solve all the problems. It would be of great benefit to the quality of boaters on the water but there will always be THE ONE!! Possibly, a mandatory online course and test? Everyone has computer access in one way or another. It isn't that hard to go to the local library. Online course would help to keep the cost down for the weekend boater or people like myself who manage to get the boat out 5 or 6 times a year!

Here is a link to the Boat US free online safety course if anyone is interested!!
    http://www.boatus.org/onlinecourse/

20. kingtrukr

kingtrukr Tired Old Man

I just see this as maybe being more trouble than it's worth. I hate watching idiots on the water also but a license won't really change peoples ethics and common sense. Jet skis will still buzz your bass boat and drunks will always attempt to drive be it a car or boat. I'm also pretty sure that some of the law enforcement will go overboard hassleing people. There are a lot of times when I'm on Erie and my 12 year old is the only one in the boat with me. When I'm setting lines or fighting a fish my son takes over the controls at trolling speed. He has been doing this since he was 6. I can just see an overly excited water cop taking out the ticket book and souring my son for life on the sport. After careful consideration I have to vote no.