close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Boating Laws Question

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by atrkyhntr, Mar 28, 2005.

1. I once told a friend you must have a marine radio onboard while on Lake Erie and now he after looking online he says not...
    I find it hard to believe that you do not have to have a marine radio onboard when on Lake Erie... Do you or don't you?
    ..and yes I know it would be stupid not to have one I am asking if it is law or not... I cannot find the answer online:
    http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/watercraft/laws/powerboat.htm
    THANKS in advance

2. sowbelly101

sowbelly101 Keep'n It Reel

no law requiring a marine radio on lake erie... your right tho, silly to go without one.

sowbelly

3. Erie radio is not required but anyone going out on Erie without one is foolish.

4. Many tournaments on Erie require each boat to have a marine radio. Nothing in the state reg's though.

5. shroomhunter

shroomhunter USMC 1979-1983

Went with a guy once to Lake Erie said he never got lost. Didn't realize the guy didn't even carry a compass on his boat(my foolishness for assuming the obvious) Well after going way out from Wildwood and trolling spoons on 50+ FOW with a light West wind blowing all day he decides it's time to go in. Which way is in says he? :confused: I look at him and the guy that invited me and says you got to be kidding right :eek: ? NO!! Neither one of them had a clue which way to go. I says just point the boat into the setting sun (West) and then go left which would be South. They argued with me about that and asked how I got to be such a knowledgeable person. :cool: WOW This really did happen. We finally got in close to shore and they couldn't see any recognizeable landmarks except these 2 big stacks in the sky. They said they had to be the nuke plant, I said no way gotta be something else because we headed East all day and the wind was from the West. I finally convinced them to get in close enough to ask some PWC people(Embarrassing moment for me). Sure enough the stacks were from Vermilion way East of Perry. Last trip I ever took with this guy. Is a radio a law? NO, but a very good idea!
    Again I must say I had no idea this guy had no compass as I was assured that he was quite the sailor. Good thing he wasn't captain of any Navy ships in WW2, I could only imagine where his missiles would've landed :D

6. A bud has a 22 ft scout and the marine radio has a distress button thats hooked through his GPS that will tell the Coast Guard his location. Nice!
    Hate to screw-up that though! :eek: :D

7. catking

catking Banned

That's a classic mushroomman :D sounds like something that happens to me while I'm out in a boat, which is once in a blue moon..........THE CATKING !!! :D

8. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

Am-Fm is nice with a CD........playing "I'm gonna miss her..."

I wouldn't venture out without a marine radio, then again, if you have some buddies on another boat & a cell phone it won't be as risky. Of course you know the problem there, not much reception with no cell towers in the water. :rolleyes:

9. shroomhunter

Aturkyhuntr sorry for busting up your thread but I just had to tell the lake erie why a guy needs a radio story. I've had some real experiences trusting to others better judgement. As I've grown older(not necessarily wiser) I've learned to quietly pack my own little emergency travel kit for these types of events. Mainly a GPS and cell phone with extra batteries. I just pull out the GPS and mark the ramp or parking lot while the hosts are looking the other way. Then there's the story about my first coon hunting trip,my buddy teaches me all about how to get a coon out of a den tree hey my heads stuck in this hole in this tree up here go get your dads chainsaw at 3 Am and cut down this giant beech tree :eek: , the whiskey drinkin' dislocated shoulder no one sober enough to drive to the hospital trip to AEP , the Tappan bass fishing got a lure stuck in my groin lets just keep fishing trip the list goes on. Fortunately I was an observer to most of these. Oh the stories I could tell. Then there is work, and man I gotta tell ya there are some truly GIFTED individuals out there!

10. I thought it was a good post and needed to be on here... May save someone from the same experience man... THANKS for the read bro... Sounds like you can start a whole new thread with that stuff hahahaa hmnmnm think I will I have a couple of my own too

11. Oops. Spent all night lost on Lake Erie.

But it was because someone turned off the channel light at Ashtabula Red Brook where I started from.

I now have it all, including GPS. Compass & radio still not enough for me.

Missiles ? WW2 ? Not so sure about that.

12. Whaler

Whaler Whaler

Mushroomman, isn't Vermillion west of Perry?

13. shroomhunter

Ya got me there, I was trying to think of the name of the place, been a few years but knew it wasn't Conneaut cuz there was no power plant there.
    Ashtabula is where I meant to say. Knew it was East of Wildwood.
    Maybe it's good I wasn't the navigator :D