close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Boating Etiquette for new boaters

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Reel Lady, Jul 4, 2004.

1. Reel Lady

Reel Lady Dreams DO come true!

My husband and I (2 totally inexperienced boating people I might add.... :eek: ) just purchased our first boat over the weekend. We started out looking at small John Boats, but ended up with an 18' Tracker Tundra WT. West Branch is the closest lake to accomodate our boat, so that is where we ended up launching for the first time. Being that we are new to the boating community, I would like to hear from fellow boaters what their pet peeves are when it comes to other boaters and what they do or don't do that drive you crazy!
    We were lucky enough to meet Ruminator and his great wife as we were loading (or at least attempting to load) our boat. Boy were they ever helpful.... well, life saver is more like it :)
    We literally have NO boating (or trailering)experience, and were set free with nothing more than verbal instructions and owners manuals to read. Talk about scary..... :eek:
    I have learned that as soon as I figure out what the heck I am doing, I will keep my eye out for people that are clueless, and offer them all the help they need. It was amazing how many people stood around watching us (attempting) to maneuver and unload our boat, seeing that we were obviously beginners, yet not one person offered assistance. (which we certainly could have used)
    I think someone was looking down on us when our paths crossed with Ruminator and his wife. :)
    He also told us about this website, which is great!
    So, let us know some of the big what "NOT to do's", as well as the what "TO do's" of the lake when it comes to loading, unloading, tubing, fishing, anchoring, etc....
    Also, we have 2 dogs.. A Cocker Spaniel and a Maltese that we want to take on the boat. How do boaters deal with dogs on boats when it comes to them having to go to the bathroom? Any suggestions would be sooooooooo welcome!

Hope to hear from many of you!

Reel Lady

2. LiquidTension

LiquidTension mouse potato

just a couple pointers: it sounds like you will be with your husband most of the time which 2 people makes it easier - launcing and loading

go to an empty parking lot and practice backing your boat up

both of you should know how to drive and manuever your boat around docks and ramps ( do not hold the boat (by ropes) in a ramp lane while the other is parking or retrieving automobile.... if you must hold the boat hold it on the other side of the ramp lane.... this one gets me burning most)
    Edit: Welcome to the forums ! :)

3. Marshall

Marshall Catch Photo And Release

Practice backing at a big empty lot. Prep your boat in the prep lane or parking lot not on the ramp. Use courtesy docks to tie your boat while trailer is being parked, not the ramp dock. Some lakes don't have courtesy docks so if by yourself you may have to use the ramp dock. Learning to back your trailer is one best things you can do to reduce frustration. If you are fairly quick , people should not get too upset. Learn how far your trailer needs to be in the water to load, A lot of people including me, used to put the trailer in the water to far to load. If you do this the back of the boat will not be straight on the trailer. A lot of boats can be unhooked at the wench before backing down the ramp. Unless the ramp is super steep you should be able to unhook the wench before backing down. Learn how to start a cold motor, Every motor is different, some start just by turning the key, others need chocked. Prime the ball to your gas tank in prep lane. Make sure plug is in. With all this said Just take your time and don't worry what other people are thinking. If you feel rushed it will only make it harder and have a better chance to mess up and possible damage your boat. Good luck. I'm sure I missed something.

4. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

i have taken my lab on lake erie for the past 4 years ,with only 2 mishaps and we run offshore. if i were on an inland lake i would give him a break after 2 or 3 hours at a nearby shoreline. he is younger than me and should be able to "hold" it much longer than i.

5. Ruminator

Ruminator TeamOGF

Hey, we are glad to see that you found us so quickly. I'm sure that you will find this is a great community of people who are very friendly.;)
    Thank-you very much for the kind words about Lynda and I. It really was our pleasure to help you out, and make some new friends in the process.;)

-Oh yes, I wanted to let you know that I was putting in an air pump into our minnow bucket when you guys passed us last night,;) not to worry.

- Rumi