Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Voltage regulator shorted out on my Mercury yesterday morning and everything came to a noisy halt, w/ smoke rolling out of the cowling. Rode the kicker back to the dock. Wires all around the v.r. are crisped and melted. Paul's Marine sez between 500 and a thousand to put in a new harness and effect whatever other repairs may be necessary, such as new voltage regulator. Ouch! But better than a new powerhead. Or a kidney transplant.

Question: Rather than have them install a complete wiring harness, etc., could I just clip the wires back past burnt insulation, crimp in new leads and terminals and do things the cheap hillBilly way, or should I just bite bullet since I'd be in over my head if that cheap trick didn't work?

I posted this over on the Boats and Motors forum, but maybe you know someone local who would take this on and get things running again?

WWYD?

·
Double lunger
1,560 Posts
I personally would do it myself. I can say that because I haven't look under your cowling :) one thing I would highly reccomend would be to use heat shrink as well on your connectors and don't go cheap. Just a little extra resistance in a wire can shut your operation down.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I would tackle this job myself as well, nothing Burns me more than than paying someone to do something I can do. You could easily just cut the wires back and put butt splices on your old wiring providing you have enough wire and not too much of a pain to reach. I would most likely go about it that way for this season but I would do it right when time/money permits. Two problems you may encounter are butt splices may create another failure point possibly recreating the problem you have now. Another problem with using old wiring is if the wire got hot even though the enamel may look ok it has most likely been compromised and could easily fail down the road.
If your lucky when the regulator failed it didn't take anything with it, not likely but if it was my motor everything would have went. Best of luck.

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm emboldened to try. Thanks for the encouragements and the information.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm emboldened to try. Thanks for the encouragements and the information.
Brought the boat home from Paul's. Hmmmm. Closer inspection sez this ain't no cut, crimp and cap slickeroo package. Some of the background wires appear to be melded together, and others, nearby, look damaged.

Did I tell you my major was wood science?

Attachments

·
Registered
214 Posts
Gepetto....you have my sympathy. I have had this happen 2 xs on a Merc 150 EFI ....once at Alum (dam) and once at Cumberland (8 miles from the ramp)....but never to the degree that your looks burnt....insurance may cover it.....it was on fire. Good luck brother.

Rich

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Gepetto....you have my sympathy. I have had this happen 2 xs on a Merc 150 EFI ....once at Alum (dam) and once at Cumberland (8 miles from the ramp)....but never to the degree that your looks burnt....insurance may cover it.....it was on fire. Good luck brother.

Rich
Insurance deductible makes a claim a wash. Found a harness on eBay for $20. Voltage regulator for a hunnert. Fish are biting. Paul's can't get to it for 2.5 weeks anyway. Currently building a new pole barn and somewhat tapped for extra money. Bonecrusher said he'd come by and take a look. Everything points toward DIY. And if I end up back at Paul's? WTH. I've been embarrassed and humiliated before, and by lesser endeavors than this.

·
Banned
80 Posts
Stay far,far,far away from Pauls marine they will screw you!!! They just hosed me and another person I know. You can get the wiring diagram online or from just about any boat repair shop and do it yourself. If you can post here you can rewire your motor. If you are in Columbus area I might be able to stop by and give you a hand, pm me if you are near Columbus. Before you remove anything take pics or use a camcorder, it's great when you are scratching your head later in the job.

·
Eye for 'eyes
175 Posts
There is Blue Water Marine between reynoldsburg and pataskala if pauls is not an option and you are near the east side of columbus. I had them do wiring work on my kicker earlier in the season and they got me right in and total was a little lower than estimate. Still, $420 for rewiring throttle cables to kicker and the oil leak they found and fixed seemed steep for a job I should have been able to tackle myself. Got me back on the water and saving on fuel costs with the four stroke kicker! Pauls quoted me more for the same job and the boat was purchased from them 5 yrs earlier! Hopefully you can manage to DIY

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I've had two very positive experiences with Paul's Marine and would defiintely recommend them to another boater. They let me demo a prop and then sold it to me for a great deal. I didn't even buy my boat from them. After that, I had them install a merc monitor for my mercury. Worked great and they did a great job for a fair price. no problems to this day.

I've also had great experiences with Buckeye. Both are authorized merc dealers and mechanics and both have done great work for me.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I poked around gently at the burnt wires today. The smaller ones have no moorings. It's really a mess, and beyond my comfort level to attack. Unless Bonecrusher has a hat-and-rabbit trick (he's stopping by tomorrow for a look-see), I'll be seeking professional help.

Imagine life without a boat when there's fish to be caught. If it's only temporary, it's still like holding your breath.

Thanks for the input guys. And the condolences.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Let me say this is a great site, but, if you go on bassboatcentral and get on the boards, go down to mercury engines, show them the pics, you will probably get a good second opinion. Those guys have helped me out all the time with my 'Rude and it's free. Just a suggestion before you throw a bunch of money at it. Be sure and give 'em your model and serial # Fishdady

·
Banned
1,088 Posts
You can probably buy the shop manual for about $50. What year and size is it? If it matches my manual, I'll photocopy the the diagram and anything else you need.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
I know that by having a library card you can access a lot there. I know they have car manuals online there, because they subscribe and give you access to certain premium sites. Might be worth a look, if you can't find it online at home. There is also a guy in Reynoldsburg that sells them and little motors and parts on craigslist.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Let me say this is a great site, but, if you go on bassboatcentral and get on the boards, go down to mercury engines, show them the pics, you will probably get a good second opinion. Those guys have helped me out all the time with my 'Rude and it's free. Just a suggestion before you throw a bunch of money at it. Be sure and give 'em your model and serial # Fishdady
+1 on that advice. Don and sherm on the merc boards are super-helpful. Don helped me solve my low water psi problem with a set of high-speed merc water intakes. I've talked to both of them and bought stuff from both-awesome resource you should try if you are determined to try to DIY. Good luck!

·
Banned
14,059 Posts
the only thing i will throw in is if you buy the harness off ebay that parts good. and your not going to beat the price. i was going to reccomend you look on ebay. but any other wires you replace you want to be sure and use marine grade wiring. its alittle more $$$ but the wire is tin coated. which makes it much less corrosive. and in the marine inviroment its the life of your wiring. just my opinion. and i believe you can find marine grade wire on ebay also.

i went to florida back in feb. took my brother n laws boat out. well we got to the launch and it wouldnt do anything. pulled the cover, and the old wiring was rotten. its an old 70,s model 90 hp inline 6, tower of power. so i went and bought some wire and conectors. (you can get connectors now that have the shrink tubing already on them) i cut as far as i could get and put in new wires. but the outside coating just kept crumbling on the old wiring. well i got it patched up where we could use the boat while i was there. but i did get on ebay and found a same as new complete harness. someone put it on a motor that they said ran about 2 hours and blew the motor. so i bought it for him. i had already came home before the harness arrived. i know he cant install it, so if he doesnt get it done before i go back down. i may pay to have it done just to save time. if not i,ll install it when i get down there, unless my wiring job fails on him,LOL. the best of luck whatever you decide to do.
sherman

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Update: I purchased a used wiring harness and voltage regulator which I am 95% certain fits my Merc for $140. Did this four nights ago. Have a guy here in Delaware that I'd heard about before but forgotten, named Ross Carlson. A chance inquiry brought up his name. He used to be mechanic for Delaware Marine. He's agreed to take on the installation, though he's two weeks out as well. Nevertheless, I'll be back on the water again, and my pockets won't be empty.

Thanks, everyone, for your concern and suggestions.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts