close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Boat with outboard for 50 bucks

Discussion in 'Hot Deals' started by MAINAH, Jun 29, 2004.

1. MAINAH

MAINAH Little Member

I just picked up a 14' SEAMAID (1964) aluminum jon boat with a 1995/6 mercury 9.9 outboard for $50.00. The owner claims the boat does not leak and that the outboard will start with one or two pulls. He lives on Middle Bass Island and said he could no longer put it in the water by himself, so he bought a 17' Lund and he keeps that at a marina all summer. I've been busy and have not had a chance to put it in the water or run the motor. I plan on doing it tomorrow.
    Funny little extra. As I was waiting three hours to take the ferry back to Port Clinton I ran into a guy who asked me if I was fishing around the island. I told him I was just picking up the boat and what I got with it for 50 bucks, He asked who from and then said " aawwjeeeez, I gave that outboard to him for a case of whisky". I just goes to show whats more important when you are stuck on an island in the dead of winter.
    I will let you know if the boat floats and if the outboard runs. I did get it from a neighbors dad, so I dont think he would BS me.......We'll see.

2. Good find. I will buy it from you for $51. I just got the shell of a boat and a trailor for $100. Some people get all the good deals.

3. MAINAH

MAINAH Little Member

I put the boat in the water yesterday. It floated just fine, The outboard started right up. there was a little bit of seaping of water through a couple of seams. Not too bad, ran it for a couple of hours and there was only a half gallon or less in the boat when I was done. All in all I'd say fitybucks well spent.

4. That is great! You planning on fishing Erie with it?

5. MAINAH

MAINAH Little Member

Twister, I might. There is alot of good fishing up here in Port Clinton. Lots of bays and rivers and ponds.....oh my. Lake Erie is a big lake, and the weather can change pretty quick on her. If I do it will be one of those last minute "weather looks good...lets go" type of decissions. The previous owner fished it around the Islands, said he even took it back and forth to the mainland. No matter where I fish with the boat it will be better than being stuck on land.

6. I have always wondered about fishing in all those back bays around Port Clinton and Marblehead, sounds like you got a good boat for that. Good luck to ya.

By the way anyone doing any good from shore around that area? I may be up in a few weeks.

7. Mainah,
    You can patch those seams with JB Weld....it's FANTASTIC stull if you're not familiar with it. Should find it in any hardware in the adhesives section. It can actually be machined..it is THAT strong!
    Mike

8. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

Now that is what I call a good deal. Hope you have many good years with it. If the leaks continue get some one to alum. weld the seams. For no more that you have in it, you'll be glad you did.

9. MAINAH

MAINAH Little Member

I have used JB-WELD a few times in the past and have been thinking about doing that. I also thought about welding the seams. With the price of JB-WELD and the amount I would need it might be the same amount to have the seams welded up. Welding would fix it for good.

10. Just thought I'd add something, JB weld did a fine job of patching the brake lines in my old chevy pickup till I got her to the shop, the stuff beats the pants off duct tape lol.

11. MAINAH

MAINAH Little Member

I did use J-B WELD. I sealed up the bow seam, outside and inside, used the whole kit. I got about 9ft of seam sealed with it. I probably could have got more out of it if I wasn't so sloppy. Ran the boat with no water coming in from the bow. Now I just have to do the rest. Thanks for the help guys.