Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my boat brand new in 2017. I have never done anything with the trailer bearings . When should you grease them ?

·
Registered
601 Posts
I bought my boat brand new in 2017. I have never done anything with the trailer bearings . When should you grease them ?
I feel I'm very particular about maintenance. I check bearings for play minimum annually, regrease/pack bearings each spring and again before any major trip. It depends what type of hubs/bearings you have and how much you trailer but annually and a few times before long trips has worked for me.
I think trailers really get forgotten about but I travel and fish alone and nothing's worse than a broken trailer on a major highway or back road in the Canadian bush. Small investment in time can really pay off to minimize headaches down the road plus it's the one thing keeping your boat safe and where the boat will honestly spends majority of it's time.
Good luck

·
Banned
14,059 Posts
i use bearings and havent repacked a wheel bearing in 20 yrs. knock on wood but i havent lost a bearing in those 20 yrs. but i top off the bearings each spring and before any trip. the buddies i use has a small hole to let excess grease out. in the spring i will slowly pump in new grease until new grease comes out. but many guys repack each spring.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
i use bearings and havent repacked a wheel bearing in 20 yrs. knock on wood but i havent lost a bearing in those 20 yrs. but i top off the bearings each spring and before any trip. the buddies i use has a small hole to let excess grease out. in the spring i will slowly pump in new grease until new grease comes out. but many guys repack each spring.
this ^^^

·
Registered
601 Posts
The Dexter style hubs or similar that have the zerk fitting as you describe Sherman I think don't really require the annual repacking in my opinion. Pumping until the old grease is gone and new starts coming out (while spinning the tire) seems to work plenty good. Making sure you don't have grease escaping the bearings and allowing water intrusion is really important too.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone . From What i found after some more digging all i need to do is pump in new until i see all the old come out . Sherman and Enoneye stated .OGF to the rescue again. I will be doing this before my next trip.

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
Tear hubs down annually check for wear or signs of over heat on bearings and races. Completely clean all old grease and repack. Always use a new seal. And remember if you have to replace a bearing replace the race as well.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Thanks everyone . From What i found after some more digging all i need to do is pump in new until i see all the old come out . Sherman and Enoneye stated .OGF to the rescue again. I will be doing this before my next trip.
Do not.. pump until the old comes out, thats wrong. If and when you do that you'll blow the rear seals out I guarantee you will. I'm thinking a "17" trailer should have bearing-buddy's installed, yes or no? If not, get a set and install them, easy peasy. If you do your all set. Get a good bearing grease first off. I'm also going to say your grease should be pretty clean unless you haul 5k to 7k a year, so start there. If your grease is dirty (which I doubt) remove and wash out the bearings, races, and hubs, and repack by hand and reassemble. Make sure the inner seal is good, you'll know it;s not by the grease spun out all over the inside of the wheel. Install the bearing buddy's. After installed you'll notice a plate, spring, and a zerk fitting. with the grease gun on the fitting start pumping slowly until you see the plate, (which is loaded by the spring) start to move...stop pumping. The bearing is at capacity with grease and you've got a bit more in reserve being pushed by the plate and spring if needed automatically. I have "never" needed to replace or been broke down on the side of the road using this method, and I haul a lot.

You should be doing wheel maintenance twice a year, spring and fall. Jack one side off the ground and turn and pull on the wheel looking for any in and out play in the hub. If none, squirt a couple squeezes of grease in the bearing watching the plate move a titch.. your done. Check air pressure and repeat the same process with the other side.

Like bountyhunter mentioned above, get in the habit when towing that when you make stops feel the hub and see if it's getting too warm. This indicated an upcoming problem that you can deal with at home instead of on the road. If it's not your good to go.

Long winded but I'm trying to cover everything.. GL

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
at least jack up wheels and check for play and re pack its not hard and enough time has passed that you should do it for peace of mind. may find it all good. over the years i put rubber cups over my brng buds it keeps out water n dirt.. Tire Alloy wheel Automotive tire Wheel Rim

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
A 2017 trailer should/probably has ezlube spindles. If the dust cap has a rubber plug then it does. just take the rubber plg out wipe the grease out till you find the zerk fitting on the end of the spindle. Jack up the trailer one side at a time see if there is ant play or grease in the wheel. If not pump MARINE WHEEL BEARING GREASE IN UNTIL YOU SEE NEW COMING OUT. Do not put bearing buddies over them they are not designed for those.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Don't forget to look at the tires very closely! Check for any cracks, bubbles, or anything that looks different. Trailer tires don't seem to last long, especially if the get lots of sun exposure.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
It's been a couple years since I went through my 20 yr old trailer,but I only drive less than 10 miles to launch.I'm still on the original bearings.

I use double lipped seals with bearing buddies.The double lipped are cheap at places like etrailer.Bearings and hubs also cheaper there.

With my bearing buddies,I only squeeze marine grease just enough to get the spring to start to compress. I keep an extra hub around along with everything that I need to replace it forlonger trips.

Reactions: Gottagofishn

·
Powderfinger
7,789 Posts
Stupid question. Does a zerk fitting go bad?
The reason I ask is on one side of my trailer it is very difficult squirt the grease in the ezspindle. I just put on new bearing and seals last month but I am having that issue on one side. I plan on replacing the zerk to see if that’s the issue. If that doesn’t solve it then I plan on getting a small diameter rod (cloths hanger) to see whether the channel in the spindle is plugged. I don’t see how that could happen though.

·
Powderfinger
7,789 Posts
Another question. Use a SS zerk or are regular ones fine?
Called Napa and a couple other places for SS. None have them.
I figure with all the grease on them regular would be fine.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts