close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

boat title question

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by rolland, Mar 4, 2009.

1. rolland

rolland Fishing Noob

Friend of mine is in a bit of a pickle here. 4-5 years ago he bought a boat from a friend that owned it for years, it is not stolen. He saw the title for the boat and moter when they were talking about the sale and when he bought it forgot to get the titles off the guy. Since then his friend moved to california and noone can get a hold of him. The boat has been parked in his dads garage since then and dad says he needs the room get rid of the boat. Its a 19 foot, duel axel trailer with a 75 hp johnson.

Anyone had this problem before? How tough would it be to get a new title for the boat and moter? All the #'s are still there bot the boat regestration has not been updated since 03. Anyone know the first steps in getting this going, hes a good guy and I would like to help him out. Thanks in advance for any responces.

2. Probably call the watercraft office and get their input. They might require an inspection, but I am not too sure.

3. jennis9

jennis9 Fish against the fish...

I second that -- most likely they can look up the old paperwork since there was a title at one time and he at least has a name -- if the previous owner had the title transferred.

Tell him to get on it sooner than later -- my brother had the same issue with no title -- although his boat was smaller -- it took about six weeks to get things straightened out. had an inspection and a lot of footwork to get it titled and registered.

4. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

third on the dow.just call them,and they'll tell you exactly what needs donme.shouldn't be too complicated.as mentioned,probably will take more time than hassle.

5. rolland

rolland Fishing Noob

thanks everyone, actually when the title and everything is settled I think your going to see the boat on the market place. Just want to make sure he gets all the I's dotted and T's crossed before I list it. Someone is going to steel this thing off him, its just to big for me.

6. If your buddy does not have a bill of sale tell him good luck :(

7. Is that possible, that falls into the having to much money catigory:D:D:D

8. Tell your buddy I will give him 50 bucks for it and I will worry about the title!

9. rolland

rolland Fishing Noob

I hope your 11 other post were more helpfull then this 1:confused: